Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simonlee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I talked to my advisor about my DAT score. Here are the words he said:
"I am concerned that the verbal score on the DAT will make it tough
for you to get into dental school.
I'd say go ahead and apply, but be prepared to re-apply next year if
you do not get the acceptances you want."
And here are my scores:
AA: 24
PAT:20
QR:23
RC:18
Bio:23
GC:27
OC:27
TS:26
My overall GPA: 3.72. Science GPA:3.85
I cannot sleep while thinking about what he said. It really terrified me!
Do I have a chance to get into a dental school?
I am applying for NYU, Columbia and several other NY schools.
But now I lost my confidence.
Any comment?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, honestly....I would tell that advisor to go f*ck himself!! Those scores are like in the 90%+ range....meaning you did better then 90%+ of all DAT takers!!! and with a GPA like that......you are set! Just relax and let the interview invites roll in.

Simon:

I would slap your advisor across his face if I were you! Your numbers are amazing! You will not only get interview at all NY dental schools, but I would bet my left nut that you'll be accepted to all NY schools (given that you have at least some personality)!

Good luck and keep us updated on your success.

A

Okay, call me an A-hole, but I call BS on this.

A gorilla on cocaine would be able to look at those numbers and say you are a lock for any school in the country.

Either the story is false or the numbers are false. I call BS. Who is with me?

*EDIT*

Im sorry to those that see my comments as insensitive. However, I am dying to get into dental school. I have a 3.0 with a 19 DAT. Then, someone comes in with a 3.85 science, scores 100 percentile on the sciences, and asks "Do I stand a chance?" Come on bro. You cant possibly be that incredible in your school work and not be able to figure out, with the law of averages, that you are at the very top of the applicant pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rezdawg,

I'm with you!!! Either the OP's post is false or this is the most illogical, lack-of-common-sense high scoring poster ever. I feel totally insulted having opened this thread and reading the original post...that is, until I read Rez's comments. Now I'm just laughing.

All the scores, GPA and my advisor's comment are real. I just took the test two days ago. I guess I was getting nervous especially when I got a low MCAT score a couple months ago. Thanks for you guys' support! Maybe I shouldnot worry about it too much. But my advisor's comment really shock me!!

By the way, this advisor was hired by the school three months ago. I guess he might be new in this business.

i think ur advisor was teasing you a bit. my avg and science were 22 and rc was like 17. but my advisor said those were competitive enough. well, i wouldn't worry if i were you...

BTW, i'm thinkin since you took the mcat.. have u applied for med schools and dent schools at the same time?? if yes, then it's a different story. the reason why ur advisor said it was probably b/c of the fact that you were dual applicants but not that your dat scores were horribly bad. anyways, that's my two cent idea/guess but i really don't know why he made such a comment. these might be helpful:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=139933
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=28123

Rezdawg said:
A gorilla on cocaine would be able to look at those numbers and say you are a lock for any school in the country.
:laugh: I like your comment :laugh:

Rezdawg,

I'm with you!!!

Give that dude needs a bitch-slap!!!!! He must be a total idiot to give statements like this...

simonlee said:
I'd say go ahead and apply, but be prepared to re-apply next year if
you do not get the acceptances you want."
And here are my scores:
AA: 24
PAT:20
QR:23
RC:18
Bio:23
GC:27
OC:27
TS:26
My overall GPA: 3.72. Science GPA:3.85
I cannot sleep while thinking about what he said. It really terrified me!
Do I have a chance to get into a dental school?
I am applying for NYU, Columbia and several other NY schools.
But now I lost my confidence.
Any comment?

While posts like these are annoying and frivolous, they do show us something. Now matter how much one studies or how high one's gpa is, nothing can replace common sense. Simon, Maybe you should get a second opinion, youre advisor first should realize that rc on dat is NOT VERBAL, and the scoring doesnt work the same as the MCAT. What is surpising, is that you do not realize this. If this kept you awake at night, I beleive you may some type of chemical imbalance. :laugh:

Simonlee are you a native New yorker, wait, I can't understand new yorkers anyways, they call that english. In all honesty, are you a english native speaker. May be your advisor was hinting that your verbal skills or communications were not up to par, that you would not be able to have a simple conversation.

-counselors, guys that couldn't get a job in the real world.

I don't think anybody in this world, while growing up dream of becoming a college counselor.

In MCAT, the reading portion is called "verbal reasoning". That was probably why he said that. I only emailed this advisor my DAT score and that was the opinion he gave me. We never, never talked to each other face to face before. Therefore, he had no way of knowing my communication skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your advisor HAS NO IDEA what he is talking about.

I planned out my entire college career (class-wise) as far as pre-reqs were concerned during my first semester. I went to an advisor to make sure I had everything covered... and well let's just say I knew WAY more than she did. ;)

Well, while I do have a hard time believe this -- I guess if i were to figure out why the advisor was so off I would make a guess that s/he was assuming that the DAT was scored similarly to the MCAT in regards to overall score maybe, as in out of 45 ? In which case a 24 wouldn't be so hot...

Stlil doesn't make sense though with the scores being higher than 15 in the other sections... so i suppose this is an unlikely assumption as well.

My recommendation would be look at your own GPA, look at your percentile rank in scores, REALIZE that 99% Is a GOOD THING and then be happy.

Most medical schools want to see a high verbal score as it is known to have some predictive value regarding your future board performance(s). Dental schools however, don't seem to place a high emphasis on RC. Instead, they focus more on your PAT score (duh). Perhaps your counselor was getting medical school stats confused with dental. Or maybe your counselor is one of those types that applied to dental school, got rejected and is now bitter and happened to take out his hostility on you. Don't take it personally. Your scores are inhuman. Unless you seriously can not speak a lick of english or if u ~wrItE~**Lyke diS*~~*~~, you will get accepted to 99% of dental schools to which you have applied.

On a side-note. I'm beginning to feel like such an under-achiever...

P.S. Are you sure your counselor wasn't just being sarcastic?

HBomb said:
I feel totally insulted having opened this thread and reading the original post...that is, until I read Rez's comments.

my thoughts exactly.......but i guess i'll let it pass...just this once...since you asked your advisor who doesn't know what the heck he's talking about...but still....24AA/26TS/20PAT with 3.7+GPA and you're asking us if you "have a chance" of getting into A dental school??? that's kinda insulting...

This whole thing is just BS, lets all just stop paying attention to it. Simon never even talked to this alleged advisor and I doubt he even took the DAT. He is just posting this here to see people go nuts about it, ok, people have....enough already!! Someone who has that kind of mind shouldnt be going to dental school anyways.

i actually think it's all true...i believe he took the DAT and got that score and he probably talked to his advisor too (from looking at his previous posts).....but it was kinda insulting how he asked if he had a chance to get into a school with his stats...i mean c'mon..did you not look at the stats page??

i really don't know how good of a chance you have..i mean your gpa isn't even a 4.0 if i were u i wouldn't even bother applying this cycle so that u can take grad classes and try to prove that you can do better than a measly 3.72 and while ur at it retake the DAT because ur not close enough to 30 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mitch, Im sorry, but I disagree.

I think he has a chance at NYU or BU. Its worth the shot. He should at least try for this cycle. And if it doesnt work out, then he can take your advice and take those grad classes.

;)

simonlee said:

First off, I would like to echo everyone else's comments about how ridiculously high your scores are and that you should not be loosing any sleep over your stellar performance. Second, where in the heck did they 'find' your adivsor? - in a former communist bloc country seeking employment as an Olympics coach? And you the un-relenting glutton-for-punishment willing to alter your appearance with horse hormones in the pursuit of gold?... Yeesh. Please sit down with your advisor and both of you should glance at some of the recent matriculate statistics for dental schools to get a better feel for where you stand. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.