do i stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlosvilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI guys, i curently have a 3.56 Gpa and a 34 on my MCAT, i know this is below the average scores for most competitive programs. But i was wondering if being Black and from Africa this might in any way tip the scale in my favor. And also are there any suggestions on what i could do to improve my chances of getting into a competitive school? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you're a URM so that will help you out plus the 34 MCAT is wonderful. I wish I could get that haha. I would just make sure your EC's are good and you will be more than fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
in what world is a 34 below average. troll.

in what world is a 34 below average. troll.

I think the OP was referring to the GPA of 3.56 in relation to the "competitive programs," which typically have average GPAs around 3.8

OP: yes, being an URM will definitely help, but make sure you have experiences and good reasons to support it. Ie. not just, "Admit me because I'm from Africa!" Include some substance, like how being from Africa shaped your views and how it can bring a different perspective to med school.