MD Do I still get a chance with this 2017 MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicole Kidd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maryland Resident. My mcat score came out and it's very bad : 506 (129 (usually 128)/123 (usually 126)/128/126 (usually 127)), my sGPA is 3.85 and my cGPA is 3.89, do I still get a chance for MD school? I have another test scheduled in a week, 6/1, do you think it's still worth to take it or should I settle with my score? Today is the last day that I can cancel my 6/1 exam.

I really bummed my CARS this time. Should I retake or just reapply?
I have pretty decent EC and multiple research experiences with a publication.

@gyngyn @Faha @gonnif @Goro @LizzyM
Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Maryland Resident. My mcat score came out and it's very bad : 506 (129 (usually 128)/123 (usually 126)/128/126 (usually 127)), my sGPA is 3.85 and my cGPA is 3.89, do I still get a chance for MD school? I have another test scheduled in a week, 6/1, do you think it's still worth to take it or should I settle with my score? Today is the last day that I can cancel my 6/1 exam.

Thank you guys.
I am in the same boat with my MCAT, 508 overall..the couple point difference will be looked at pretty much the same IMO. I also signed-up for a 6/1 retake just in case. I have debated about the retake all day and have talked to my brother and his class mates who attend a mid-tier MD school. I have decided that one week to continue studying will not be enough to make any significant difference. Looks like your test day experience went similar to mine, I also felt that most of my sections could have been higher based on previous FLs and the feeling on test day in terms of timing etc. My advice (take this with a grain of salt since I am in the same boat), don't take the 6/1 exam unless you feel that you can increase the score at least 10-15 percentile. I have read a lot online and the general consensus seems to be that if you retake and score approximately the same or lower, it will likely hurt you more than it will help. I have decided to take the loss on my money (enjoy your free 300 some dollars AAMC) because I feel that the risks outweigh the rewards. If I had another 2-3 months to study and then re-take I would do so, but I don't think that I can do that an still apply in a reasonable time frame for this cycle. Just my thoughts, I am also worried primarily about my MCAT score, sounds like you are to. Can't offer any real advice regarding your chances at MD schools TBH, just thought I'd give you my take. Misery loves company right?

I am in the same boat with my MCAT, 508 overall..the couple point difference will be looked at pretty much the same IMO. I also signed-up for a 6/1 retake just in case. I have debated about the retake all day and have talked to my brother and his class mates who attend a mid-tier MD school. I have decided that one week to continue studying will not be enough to make any significant difference. Looks like your test day experience went similar to mine, I also felt that most of my sections could have been higher based on previous FLs and the feeling on test day in terms of timing etc. My advice (take this with a grain of salt since I am in the same boat), don't take the 6/1 exam unless you feel that you can increase the score at least 10-15 percentile. I have read a lot online and the general consensus seems to be that if you retake and score approximately the same or lower, it will likely hurt you more than it will help. I have decided to take the loss on my money (enjoy your free 300 some dollars AAMC) because I feel that the risks outweigh the rewards. If I had another 2-3 months to study and then re-take I would do so, but I don't think that I can do that an still apply in a reasonable time frame for this cycle. Just my thoughts, I am also worried primarily about my MCAT score, sounds like you are to. Can't offer any real advice regarding your chances at MD schools TBH, just thought I'd give you my take. Misery loves company right?

Already canceled my 6/1 exam. It'd be wiser just to apply next year with a better MCAT, taking a second Mcat isn't the end of the world, more over it gives you more time to refine your experience. I don't know about you but I have set my mind to go to better school because I want the possibility. If you decide to wait till next year to retake and reapply, we could probably keep ourselves on track. I don't mind how much money I spend/lose. I wanna live up to my full potential.

Members don't see this ad :)
Already canceled my 6/1 exam. It'd be wiser just to apply next year with a better MCAT, taking a second Mcat isn't the end of the world, more over it gives you more time to refine your experience. I don't know about you but I have set my mind to go to better school because I want the possibility. If you decide to wait till next year to retake and reapply, we could probably keep ourselves on track. I don't mind how much money I spend/lose. I wanna live up to my full potential.
I think that skipping your retake on 6/1 is the best option. I too want to live up to my full potential, it definitely hurts getting back that MCAT since I felt that I prepared for at least a 510+ and hold myself to a very high standard (sounds like you do too!). I am going to apply this cycle and see what happens since I feel that I have a strong GPA and ECs and have been set of not having a gap year since I started college. I do think that gap year is a good idea if you're dead set on a top tier school, I am worried about staying motivated to return back to the rigors of school if I end up taking a gap year though..obviously medical school is no joke and I don't know how well I'll be able to retain the basic sciences and things that are useful for med school. I live in Michigan and there are several decent candidate schools I will be applying to. U of M was my dream school, doesn't look like that will be working out based on my score. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide!

I think that skipping your retake on 6/1 is the best option. I too want to live up to my full potential, it definitely hurts getting back that MCAT since I felt that I prepared for at least a 510+ and hold myself to a very high standard (sounds like you do too!). I am going to apply this cycle and see what happens since I feel that I have a strong GPA and ECs and have been set of not having a gap year since I started college. I do think that gap year is a good idea if you're dead set on a top tier school, I am worried about staying motivated to return back to the rigors of school if I end up taking a gap year though..obviously medical school is no joke and I don't know how well I'll be able to retain the basic sciences and things that are useful for med school. I live in Michigan and there are several decent candidate schools I will be applying to. U of M was my dream school, doesn't look like that will be working out based on my score. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide!

You have stellar ECs that might help you overcome the drawback of MCAT 508 is still a pretty good score, more over Mich's got quite a few schools for you to choose from. I do feel drained when I had to study after I got off work, I might even quit my job to prep for the test if necessary. I have been dead-studying (english's not my first language so it's even harder) since I came to the US and haven't gotten much ECs done so I don't care if I'm too old for medschool. Best luck to you too!

Thank you guys.
Under no circumstances should you retake the exam unless your are 100% ready for it.

I recommend:

Rosy Franklin

Loyola

WVU

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

NYMC

VCU

Tulane

U VM

Oakland-B

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Netter

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons