Do I still have a chance at applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.E

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that most of those who post here have extrodinarily high stats, so my question may seem to sound a bit odd. Have any of you every received an F on a transcript and still received acceptance letters or interviews from dental schools? My GPA is still at a 3.5 and hopefully after I retake the course it will move up. But, anyway I look at it the F has cosmetically damaged my transcript forever. Is there still hope?

Members don't see this ad.

Mr.E said:
I realize that most of those who post here have extrodinarily high stats, so my question may seem to sound a bit odd. Have any of you every received an F on a transcript and still received acceptance letters or interviews from dental schools? My GPA is still at a 3.5 and hopefully after I retake the course it will move up. But, anyway I look at it the F has cosmetically damaged my transcript forever. Is there still hope?

Is there still time to withdraw from this class?? Better to take a W than an F, but if you cant withdraw, make sure you retake the class, ESPECIALLY if its a prereq class, and get that A. A small glitch or two on your transcript isnt going to kill you, but dont make it a habit.

Bickle said:
Is there still time to withdraw from this class?? Better to take a W than an F, but if you cant withdraw, make sure you retake the class, ESPECIALLY if its a prereq class, and get that A. A small glitch or two on your transcript isnt going to kill you, but dont make it a habit.

It's to late to take a W, and yes, I'm stuck with the F. But, I plan on taking the class over. I was just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation, and still successfully applied and gotten accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think one F will kill you, especially if you retake the class. A 3.5 GPA shows that you are a good student, and if you do well on the DAT that will further prove it.

I have a D+ in Biochemistry and a ton of Cs, and I still got into a couple of schools. With a GPA over 3.0 and a diversified application (i.e., shadowing, service, etc.), you should be fine. A lot of the application process is about applying to the right schools as well, so do your homework if you're worried and apply to at least a couple of "just in case" schools.

Bickle said:
Couldn't have said it better. Retake it and obliterate the grade curve.

I have an F in a math class that I took 12 years ago. I re-took the class two years ago and got an A. It has not been brought up in my interviews and so far I have been accepted to Case.

To everyone who replied to my post. A big "Thank you" is in order. I thought I'd really blown my chances, but apparently there still hope.

Its NEVER too LATE for anything in this world. You always have to try. Michael Jordan once said, " I missed 100% of the shots I never took" Do everything you can this cycle, and if it doesnt work out, then you have the advantage of being a second time applicant. GOOD LUCK :thumbup: