Do I Still Have A Chance At Usc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McGill Graduate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really discouraged not to hear from USC this round of acceptances. I interviewed there on the 20th of January and feel I am a competitive applicant. I have a dat score of 19AA/20PAT/20TS, a science GPA of 3.18, a cgpa of 3.35, tonns of volunteer work and dentist office expreince.

I feel that I performed well in the interview/problem session and i am wondering why i havnt been accepted yet. any advice/input would be so very greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

McGill Graduate said:
I am really discouraged not to hear from USC this round of acceptances. I interviewed there on the 20th of January and feel I am a competitive applicant. I have a dat score of 19AA/20PAT/20TS, a science GPA of 3.18, a cgpa of 3.35, tonns of volunteer work and dentist office expreince.

I feel that I performed well in the interview/problem session and i am wondering why i havnt been accepted yet. any advice/input would be so very greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

As far as I can tell you are competitive, but you don't completely stand out. What volunteer work have you done? I think you still have a great chance of getting into USC. They continue to accept people well into summer. Did you interview anywhere else? My advice to you is to e-mail Eva and let her know about your interest in USC and be persistent, she is really nice and I think she has a lot of pull on who gets in. I'd also call her on occasion just to ask questions about the curriculum or program just so she gets to know you. She seems really nice, I did it and I got in! You just need to get your name out there so they remember you when the adcom meets b/c there will be lots of people with similar stats.

Hey DATRAT, congratulations on your acceptance to USC. When did you interview at USC? I was wondering the same thing as McGill Graduate too. I'm not sure if I still have a chance at USC since my interview was way back in October. I feel that I'm also a competitive applicant, GPA was 3.45, science GPA 3.34, DAT score of 22AA/22TS/19PAT, but every round of acceptances came by and I still haven't received that long-waited email. Does anyone know that when the adcom gets together, do they look at applicants who had been interviewed early in the cycle? I'm just really frustrated and discouraged at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
you should have definitely gotten in with those stats especially the DAT you rocked em. I dunno wat usc is looking for.

knyt said:
Hey DATRAT, congratulations on your acceptance to USC. When did you interview at USC? I was wondering the same thing as McGill Graduate too. I'm not sure if I still have a chance at USC since my interview was way back in October. I feel that I'm also a competitive applicant, GPA was 3.45, science GPA 3.34, DAT score of 22AA/22TS/19PAT, but every round of acceptances came by and I still haven't received that long-waited email. Does anyone know that when the adcom gets together, do they look at applicants who had been interviewed early in the cycle? I'm just really frustrated and discouraged at this point.

how active were you during the PBL session? did you participate, and if so, were you pushy? with those stats, without an acceptance, I'm inclined to think you completely bombed the mock session.

I think I did pretty well in the PBL session, I participated and i don't think i was being pushy at all. I left the room with a pretty good feeling knowing (or assuming) that I did well.

knyt said:

I interviewed in early October (the first day of interviews). You have an amazing DAT score. You need to make sure they know that you are still really interested in the school, i'm sure they probably assume that you have gotten into another school or something! You have an awesome chance, just get on the ball and make sure they know you want to be a trojan.

so i was in a rush when i posted this thread so i didnt get into details...but here goes:

im currently pursuing a masters degree in human pathology (cancer research), so i think that is a very positive aspect wrt usc due to their pbl curriculum....

my volunteer work includes a pbl course i took on infectious disease in egypt, where i helped diagnose and treat those in underserved areas, i have also visited my uncles dental practice in germany and volunteered there for a total of about a month combined, i have cared for premature infants, cared for children whos parents have HIV/AIDS, and the list goes on!

so im pretty sure these activities help me stand out...i have confidence in my abilities, im just not sure why the adcom doesnt see it!

the only thing that i can imagine that can be negatively affecting my application is my essay that i had to write in the interview. i mean it wasnt horrible but it definetly wasnt the best....since that whole activity took me by surpirse...

ok i'll end the novel but thanks in advance again for any input...

i highly doubt that the writing sample we did at the interview would be a deciding factor, unless you are a really awful writer... judging from your posts, you know how to spell and use correct punctuation well enough. i felt that the writing exercise was just to make sure we aren't idiots, and that we can put coherent thoughts together when required to without needing an editor or something.

i feel like the application process, at least this year, was a bit inconsistent due to the number of applicants, and it is really hard to pinpoint why we got an interview at one school but not another, or why we got accepted at one school and not another. one suggestion is to call the school and ask your status, just in case your file somehow slipped through the bureaucratic cracks.

are you still waiting on other schools, or is USC your top choice? good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply jillmatic

I also interviewed at BU and am waiting....but i didnt feel that the interview went very well, so Im not really expecting any exciting news from them. USC is my top choice for multiple reasons including: the curriculum is really appealing, i was impressed with the facilities and the faculty, etc. but also a major reason why im pressed to get into usc is because I will most likely be relocating from canada to los angeles because, although its not official yet, my fiancee is most likely going to be doing a phd in bioinformatics at usc too, so it would be ideal for not only my educational interests, but also my family life, which is important for me too.

also, i emailed eva to ensure that i am on the waiting list, and she confirmed with me that i am.....

jillmatic are you going to be at usc in the fall?

McGill Graduate said:
Thanks for the reply jillmatic

I also interviewed at BU and am waiting....but i didnt feel that the interview went very well, so Im not really expecting any exciting news from them. USC is my top choice for multiple reasons including: the curriculum is really appealing, i was impressed with the facilities and the faculty, etc. but also a major reason why im pressed to get into usc is because I will most likely be relocating from canada to los angeles because, although its not official yet, my fiancee is most likely going to be doing a phd in bioinformatics at usc too, so it would be ideal for not only my educational interests, but also my family life, which is important for me too.

also, i emailed eva to ensure that i am on the waiting list, and she confirmed with me that i am.....

jillmatic are you going to be at usc in the fall?

yeah i was impressed with the facilities too - and i had some serious doubts about PBL, but i came away from the interview with my questions answered, and i think it actually suits me. also, as you can tell by my signature, i love LA. so yeah i will be there next fall, unless UW hollers at me with good news, because that's where my family is.

good luck with the waitlist. because of the untraditional curriculum and cost of tuition and living expenses, it seems like people choose other schools over SC, so i feel like you've definitely got a shot as people make their final decisions. seriously, good luck and i hope to see you in the fall. :thumbup:

i was pretty disappointed by not hearing from them last friday.
i also emailed eva to ask about my status on friday. haven't heard from her yet, which is little weird cuz usually she replied right away.
i have good dat scores(24/25/21), and think i did well on pbl as well..
we'll see what happens.