do i still have a chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ijustwannasaveppl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

NewJust an update for anyone who is in a similar situation- I pulled a B+ in the class and an A in O-chem! In the words of Winston Churchill, never, never never give up :)

Hi everyone. Just finished freshman year. Spring semester I have As or B+ in everything but gen chem 2. I made a 67 and failed the course. I applied for academic forgiveness and will be retaking it this summer. If I can get an A in it, my overall gpa will be a 3.6. (I made an A in the lab and don't have to retake that)Currently, with the D, it is a 3.09. Still, my parents are concerned and want me to switch to nursing. They feel that if I'm struggling now, how will I pass O-chem and other courses. I value their advice and they are paying for a lot of my college (I'm working and have scholarships for some of it) but I want to remain premed. Is is realistic? I am doing a research program this summer, have shadowed lots of DOs, and worked at a hospital in high school as an orderly. I don't think I'd be happy as a nurse, and I've wanted to be a DO since I was 15. Still, I know that I need to be realistic, so please don't sugar coat. Do I have a chance to pull this off? Or should I switch to nursing, where I could still make a difference in the medical field?
I desperately want to become a rural DO. I'm willing to put the work in and am studying all summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Just finished freshman year. Spring semester I have As or B+ in everything but gen chem 2. I made a 67 and failed the course. I applied for academic forgiveness and will be retaking it this summer. If I can get an A in it, my overall gpa will be a 3.6. (I made an A in the lab and don't have to retake that)Currently, with the D, it is a 3.09. Still, my parents are concerned and want me to switch to nursing. They feel that if I'm struggling now, how will I pass O-chem and other courses. I value their advice and they are paying for a lot of my college (I'm working and have scholarships for some of it) but I want to remain premed. Is is realistic? I am doing a research program this summer, have shadowed lots of DOs, and worked at a hospital in high school as an orderly. I don't think I'd be happy as a nurse, and I've wanted to be a DO since I was 15. Still, I know that I need to be realistic, so please don't sugar coat. Do I have a chance to pull this off? Or should I switch to nursing, where I could still make a difference in the medical field?
I desperately want to become a rural DO. I'm willing to put the work in and am studying all summer.

Under the "academic forgiveness" policy, will the original grade remain on the transcript? If so, it will be counted in your GPA for the purpose of medical school admissions (even if your school doesn't count it).

Anyway, you can still pull it off. Reflect on what you did wrong for Gen Chem 2, and try to fix your study habits. You have three years to prove that you have what it takes to be a medical student. You can redeem yourself by creating an upward trend.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kid, You're only a freshman. Chill out and start doing better. You have tons of time!!!

And tell your parents to chill as well.
oh my gosh a goro response!!
"HEY MOM GORO SAID CHILL"
In all seriousness, thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

Hopefully this post can give you some inspiration. I was in a much worse position after my freshman year of college. I finished with a 2.8 sadly. Got C's in both gen chems and another C in business math. also got a few B's sprinkled in there as well. Truth is, I wasn't ready for college at the time and it really took a toll on my grades. That summer after my freshman year, I really changed everything about me such as study habits, hanging out with friends, etc. I couldnt stand to look at that 2.8 gpa anymore and decided id do whatever it takes to get that gpa up. I managed to get a 4.0 every semester after afterwards and currently am sitting at a 3.65 gpa overall. I also managed to get A's in ochems, physics, and biochem. Also i just finished my junior year and i have two semesters left till i graduate and hopefully i can raise my gpa even more. Dont worry about freshman year if you messed it up, just focus on the future and really make sure you work extremely hard these upcoming semesters! Med schools like seeing upward trends, so just focus on doing whatever it takes to get the grades up! Don't switch to nursing over one bad year of grades. I would say stick with being a doctor. If you still can't manage good grades in the coming years, then consider thinking about switching.

Best of luck!
thank you so much. That's an amazing success story and I'm sure you're really proud. I def need to change study habits and I plan on doing better.

Under the "academic forgiveness" policy, will the original grade remain on the transcript? If so, it will be counted in your GPA for the purpose of medical school admissions (even if your school doesn't count it).

Anyway, you can still pull it off. Reflect on what you did wrong for Gen Chem 2, and try to fix your study habits. You have three years to prove that you have what it takes to be a medical student. You can redeem yourself by creating an upward trend.
No, it won't be on the gpa thanks to a unique program my school has. And thank you for taking the time to reply!

First all. You have so little credits your GPA is going to have wild swings . It's your first year, don't let the doom and gloom but. Fix why you got a D.

Just an update for anyone who is in a similar situation- I pulled a B+ in the class and an A in O-chem! In the words of Winston Churchill, never, never never give up :)

Congrats :D

If it makes you feel any better, I finished freshman year with 6 C's, an Fs. Keep going and I'm sure you'll get in.

Last edited: