Do I want to be in SF, LA, or SD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HamHamFan,

The Shrine is maincampus! And I think Jalby was being facetious!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry. I didn't know that the medical school isn't with the rest of the school like the pharmacy school.

Actually, I know a person who got his wallet stolen at the hospital associated with USC, and the thieves went shopping at some ghetto-sounding place using the credit card. I can't believe that they didn't ask for identification...the guy had a pretty unique name.

Members don't see this ad :)
hamhamfan said:
Sorry. I didn't know that the medical school isn't with the rest of the school like the pharmacy school.

Actually, I know a person who got his wallet stolen at the hospital associated with USC, and the thieves went shopping at some ghetto-sounding place using the credit card. I can't believe that they didn't ask for identification...the guy had a pretty unique name.
when you dont get paid a lot...you tend to forget about the requirements and details of checking for ID and other things.

i grew up in NYC and am now living in SF and am pleasantly surprised by the city. I could never live here long term but for a little while its nice for the west coast atmosphere. Being a New Yorker though, dont think i could handle living in SD or LA.

hope280 said:
i grew up in NYC and am now living in SF and am pleasantly surprised by the city. I could never live here long term but for a little while its nice for the west coast atmosphere. Being a New Yorker though, dont think i could handle living in SD or LA.

Out of curiosity, what brings you to the bay area?

Oh yeah, forgot about those drug dealers and stupid spoiled students around that area. A ucla alum so they suck too. For the haters out there, bring on the bad karma I love getting them.

BTW, traffic is only poor in the city, bay bridge, and around 101 san jose during 7-8am and 5-7pm. Anywhere else and time are clear. In LA, every freeway is jammed from 6am-10am then 1pm-8pm. This is a fact.

Jalby said:
Don't forget the drugs dealers who seem to follow USC med students everywhere.

BerkeleyPremed said:
Out of curiosity, what brings you to the bay area?
just bumming around the year before school. thought it would be a nice break and always wanted to live out on the west coast temporarily. its no NY though.

This is to help educate the ignorant: the Sacramento Kings fans bring cow bells to their games. Sacramento is not part of the bay area. No cowbells are ever found in GSW games. Your comment is like making fun of LA people by saying SD doesnt even have a basketball team.

Jalby said:
I thought you guys all were hicks. You guys bring your cow bells to your basketball games, afterall.

LOL. cbc: did you get all that negative karma from this thread?

cbc said:
This is to help educate the ignorant: the Sacramento Kings fans bring cow bells to their games. Sacramento is not part of the bay area. No cowbells are ever found in GSW games. Your comment is like making fun of LA people by saying SD doesnt even have a basketball team.
It's called a sense of humor. You might want to try and get one.

I grew up in SD, I lived in South Pasadena for a stint, and now I live in Berkeley. Couple o' comments:

Everyone loves their hometown best, but there's something I gotts call to attention: In SoCal, people have California Pride. As Dr Dre says: "It's all good, from Diego to the Bay." But when you get to NorCal, you find that people have NorCal pride, and they HATE SoCal--especially Los Angeles--with a passion. Worse yet, they also have a tendency to hate the East Bay (ie, everything not on that tiny-ass peninsula.) So you've bassically got an 8 mile by 8 mile little city with a s***load too many people, and a HUGE ego problem. I've never known a SoCal person to hate NorCal, except for the few who moved north and met great hostility for their hometown and a few liberal radical hippie types.

SF is full of people who like to think of themselves as West Coast New Yorkers. It's sad how many people here are so deluded as such. They like to talk culture, but the fact remains that LA's museums (the Getty, the Norton-Simon, and the LACMA) blow SF's museums out of the water. LA has a better scene for theater and music as well. And I can't see how you can call a cluster of intellectual snobs to be "chill" in any sense of the word. And I swear to Christ almighty that for every hour that people in LA spend obsessing on their looks, people in SF spend two hours pissing and moaning about the superficiality of Angelinos. Live in SF, and you'll basically find that you're stuck on a tiny little peninsula with too many people and no room to park or drive.

In NorCal, people don't seem to like to dance. I hate the clubs here. In SoCal, even the tiny little pissant towns have dance clubs, and people actially dance at them. In NorCal, the only dance clubs at all are restricted to SF, and there are always more a-holes staring at women with a drink in their hand standing on the dance floor then there are people gettin' they muthafunkin' groove on. And people at SF clubs have a bad attitude--I've never come close to getting in a fight in SoCal, but up here I've had several times when I'm minding my own business and some little prick with an attitude problem is getting up in my face.

The smog issue in LA is over-blown. NOx is the combined product of NO2 and N2O4. As my chem professor explained, when it gets hot, NO2 (which is colorless) turns into N2O4 (which is brown) so heat makes the smog look worse. But the fact remains that the NO2 is just as bad for you as the N2O4. Moreover, because this area is so friggin' crowded, when I ride my bike here, I'm always having some passing truck filling my lungs with noxious gases. In LA or SD things are spead out enough that you can bike or jog away from all that noxious crap. And most important of all is that fact that acid rain is an East Coast/Great Lakes phenomenon, and it isn't in California, so get over the smog crap.

All that said, SF is probably the most beautiful city I've ever seen.

That SD is homogeneous crap is crap. All three cities--SD, LA, and SF--have a great number of people of different ethnicities and cultures. But in my experience the segregation is SO MUCH WORSE in NorCal. In SD, my friends were every color there is, whereas here you see serious cliquishness and self-segregation, and it seems I'm far more likely to see a trend of people in menial jobs being balck or Hispanic while people in white-collar jobs are white or Asian in Northern California than I ever noticed in San Diego. SD has a great deal af variety for anyone willing to spend time looking, and in SD< you actually have a chance of being able to drive and park to get there.

Whoever said they smelled a piss-smelling beach was probably smelling dog piss. There are some beaches that allow dogs, and they all stink. But I'll take dog piss to human piss any day of the week--human piss is human misery. And the only thing uglier than the high homeless population of SF/Oakland/Berkely is the callous and self-righteous attitude that the more fortunate memebers of society have directed at them. And people in NorCal are WAY more rude than SoCal peeps.

But maybe you should check out Santa Cruz. My understanding is that is the town where being laid back was invented, and it's definitely where surfing was first brought over from Hawaii and established on the West Coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm . . . if socal people are so cool with norcal why do they sell "Norcall Hella Sucks" t-shirts all over UCSD's campus. I don't recall seeing shirts like that up here in the Bay Area. I do have to agree that people like there hometown's best, but I think that both parts of the state have ego problems.

cbc said:
I've been in both socal and norcal for many years. Personally, I think LA sucks. Traffic, heat, overpopulation, superficiality, lack of culture (ppl in ny, boston, sf, dc know what I'm talking about), pollution are the culprits.

Heat? Only if you're in the valley or inland. If you live along the coast, it's beautiful weather all year long, give or take a couple days. :thumbup:

celticmists18 said:
hmmm . . . if socal people are so cool with norcal why do they sell "Norcall Hella Sucks" t-shirts all over UCSD's campus. I don't recall seeing shirts like that up here in the Bay Area. I do have to agree that people like there hometown's best, but I think that both parts of the state have ego problems.

do you know where this t-shirt can be bought?

celticmists18 said:
In all honesty, I lived in San Diego for 24 years and I never once saw one of those shirts until I moved to Berkeley.

All of my bad karma came from jalby. Actually, I believe eraserhead had a role in it too. He started beef with me for no reason.

Negative karmas are cool. It just means they are taking my posts to heart. More so probably because they have no life than to give karmas to other people. Here comes another bad karma from jalby. Who cares this is an internet resource, not some popularity contest board.

I dont find jokes lacking any accuracy funny. It's like saying, I hate living in Australia because too many pandas are there. ha-ha-ha.

hamhamfan said:
LOL. cbc: did you get all that negative karma from this thread?

Alright, I'll break down the joke for you. Never thought it was that hard to understand.

USCBMed1 said:
If you want to live in a place that is so into themselves that they think anyone living outside of SoCal is a hick, then pick SoCal.

See, now UCSB goes to UC Davis, which has a campus in both Davis and Sacramento, both of which are in Northern California. Here, I attached a map so you can double check.

map

Now, He was saying that people in Southern California think that anybody outside of California is a hick. He was being semi-facetious (that means lying). He doesn't really think all Southern Californians think that.

Now, I personally am a Southern Californian, as I'm sure most people on here have figured out by now. I was being sarcastic (that means not meaning what I say) when I said that all of you guys (Northern Californians) are hicks.
As you know, people who go to the Sacramento (please refer to above map) King Games bring cow bells to the game. They do this because Phil Jackson (coach of the Los Angeles Lakers) said Sacramento is just a cow town. They were being sarcastic (please see above definition) when they ring their cow bells. They are pretending that they really are cow people and just happen to carry around the bells, but they know that the ringing of the bells makes it hard for the other team to perform at a high level.

While I knew that the Sacramento (see above map again) crowd was being sarcastic, I too was being sarcastic about believing that they actually were hicks. I don?t believe all Northern Californian are hicks, but I was showing an example of Northern Califonians pretending to be hicks.

See, the joke isn't really that hard to understand when you break it down.

I was emulating the stereotype that UCSBMed1 had of Southern Californians by referring to a manner in which Northern Californians facetiously mock the stereotype that us Southern Californians have of them all the while knowing that UCSBMed1 would know that my facetious wording was facetious.

you are gonna be a great doctor jalby! :)

anyone who can break something like that down can detect whats wrong with a person in a flash....:D

jlee9531 said:
you are gonna be a great doctor jalby! :)

See. Good Karma comes your way. But now I must find someone to give the bad karma to so I will balance out the Ying and the Yang. I wonder who it will be????????

celticmists18 said:

I agree that both parts of the state have ego problems. Most of my friends from SoCal bash NorCal on a regular basis. I am in an internship program right now that is made up of 50/50 NorCal/SoCal people, and the SoCal people b!tch constantly about how lame NorCal is. Several of them are counting the days until they can go home to LA and SD.

And since I brought up the piss smell at Santa Monica let me just say that it was definitely human urine, not dogs. My friend and I saw a homeless man taking a leak on the steps leading down to the beach and from the stench of the area it seemed like it happened often. There were definitely a lot of homeless people in that general area by the beach/pier. I would argue that both the Bay Area and the LA area need to do more for their homeless populations.

Personally, there are parts of LA and SD that I like a lot, and there are things about SoCal that I don't like. They are very different regions and some people do better in one than the other. For me NorCal is the better fit and I enjoy living here very much but that doesn't mean I hate SoCal.

hmm can i consider the bay area/sf norcal? cause thats actually the parts of the state that i love...

Jalby, go study for your step1 instead of mocking someone on sdn.

You missed my point, which is, grouping SF and Sac/Davis as norcal. SF and Sac are so different they might as well be considered different countries. Maybe a better simile would be: Socal is so boring and deserted that cops just camp out to catch fast drivers on the 5 at Kern County.

I know about the cow bells. The point was the OP was asking about SF, not Sacramento, and cow bells certainly don't apply to SF. I'd have to say though, they do apply to Sacramento (here comes someone's ying) but this location isn't related to the original topic at hand at all.

Jalby said:
See. Good Karma comes your way. But now I must find someone to give the bad karma to so I will balance out the Ying and the Yang. I wonder who it will be????????

cbc, were you the guy i met at the ucsd second look in the anatomy lab? if so, i had NO idea who you were until now.

Never met you. I just remember your userid from some previous usnews post. You said something about 18 inch up my anus and I never said anything to you. Thought about giving you bad karma but figured that's a waste of time.

Eraserhead said:
cbc, were you the guy i met at the ucsd second look in the anatomy lab? if so, i had NO idea who you were until now.

As an innocent bystander from the east coast, this is one of the funnier threads I've seen. I especially like the part where you argue over which part of Cali has bigger slums. :laugh:

Some of DC's ghettos are comparable to LA's. Overall, however, LA is the most ghetto of California metropolitan cities. I attribute its ghettoness to the fact that there are so many minorities here. I don't think there is a major concern to revitalize minority areas (I am a minority myself). SF and SD don't have nearly as many minorities. Minorities were priced out of SF and SD, and if the housing situation doesn't settle down in LA, the same thing will happen. My solution to the ghetto problem (not inteneded to offend anyone) is to have the gay community live there--- they totally revitalized many neighborhoods in LA, including Echo Park, Silver Lake, Venice, and Hollywood. Sorry for going off on this tangent....

cbc said:
Never met you. I just remember your userid from some previous usnews post. You said something about 18 inch up my anus and I never said anything to you. Thought about giving you bad karma but figured that's a waste of time.

That would be Gleevec.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113478

cbc said:
Sorry being too demanding, but both your mom and girlfriend were demanding my attention for me to have my 18" stuck up their ahole and fat arses.

On internet seeking statistical data, not self righteous expertise opinions or gut feeling. Already suspected this would happen. It's not a big favor, just have to copy/paste #51-60, especially after I've contributed by providing answers as a med student to some premed/med posts.

scota said:
... SF and SD don't have nearly as many minorities...
Well, they don't have as many people, so I'm sure that they don't have as many minorities. But they both still have a high ratio of minorities. When I was in second grade, I remember my sister's classmates all tripping on the fact that she had blue eyes--like they'd never seen blue eyes up close before. Then that area, which was predominantly black, underwent a rapid transition to having a huge Philipino population, and by sixth grade half of my classmates were Philipino, and ESL classes were brought in for Tagalog speakers. In Jr High, the school announcements were made first in English, then in Spanish, because my school was about 2/3 Hispanic.

Anyone who would suggest that the SF BAy Area is nothing but white people is DELUDED SEVERELY. There is probably the most diverse set of Asian communities outside of New York. You'd really have to be limiting your experiences in SD and SF to make this assertion. The fact is that all up and down the California coast are people from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.

By minorities, I meant URMs- blacks and hispanics. I know that there aren't only whites in SF. It's pretty hard to say that SF is diverse- it's mostly white and Asian. LA, on other hand, is very diverse.

scota said:
Some of DC's ghettos are comparable to LA's. Overall, however, LA is the most ghetto of California metropolitan cities. I attribute its ghettoness to the fact that there are so many minorities here. I don't think there is a major concern to revitalize minority areas (I am a minority myself). SF and SD don't have nearly as many minorities. Minorities were priced out of SF and SD, and if the housing situation doesn't settle down in LA, the same thing will happen. My solution to the ghetto problem (not inteneded to offend anyone) is to have the gay community live there--- they totally revitalized many neighborhoods in LA, including Echo Park, Silver Lake, Venice, and Hollywood. Sorry for going off on this tangent....

Have you ever been to San Francisco . . .'cause most people consider it the most diverse city in the country.

scota said:
By minorities, I meant URMs- blacks and hispanics. I know that there aren't only whites in SF. It's pretty hard to say that SF is diverse- it's mostly white and Asian. LA, on other hand, is very diverse.
If you're trying to say that there aren't any blacks or hispanics in SD relative to LA, then you're completely full of crap. If you look past SF alone (which is a tiny 8 mile by 8 mile town) to the Bay Area at large--comparable regional size and poulation to SF--then again you will see large and diverse populations beyond just white or Asian.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Nutmeg said:
Well, they don't have as many people, so I'm sure that they don't have as many minorities. But they both still have a high ratio of minorities. When I was in second grade, I remember my sister's classmates all tripping on the fact that she had blue eyes--like they'd never seen blue eyes up close before. Then that area, which was predominantly black, underwent a rapid transition to having a huge Philipino population, and by sixth grade half of my classmates were Philipino, and ESL classes were brought in for Tagalog speakers. In Jr High, the school announcements were made first in English, then in Spanish, because my school was about 2/3 Hispanic.

Anyone who would suggest that the SF BAy Area is nothing but white people is DELUDED SEVERELY. There is probably the most diverse set of Asian communities outside of New York. You'd really have to be limiting your experiences in SD and SF to make this assertion. The fact is that all up and down the California coast are people from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.

I know this thread isn't about Sacramento, but don't leave out the valley cities in your diversity statement. Sacramento, Stockton, and Fresno are all very diverse.

In fact, Sacramento was named the most diverse city in the nation by Time Magazine a couple of years ago:

Sacramento as America's Most Diverse City

I know no one wants to live there, but remember that some of us consider the Central Valley home, and NO ONE likes to hear people talk **** about their home.

And cbc, the cow bell thing is so, 2002. I know you guys in the city don't want to be associated with the "valley" but maybe if your Warriors could play basketball no one would lump you in with the Kings... ;)

Lol, why are people being so atagonistic?! I've been to SF many times- I will be going there to do my post bac! I've lived in LA all my life, so I might know a little bit about the area :rolleyes:, and I have family in SD! What I'm saying is that LA is more diverse than SD and SF. Is that too difficult to understand?!?!

scota said:
Lol, why are people being so atagonistic?! I've been to SF many times- I will be going there to do my post bac! I've lived in LA all my life, so I might know a little bit about the area :rolleyes:, and I have family in SD! What I'm saying is that LA is more diverse than SD and SF. Is that too difficult to understand?!?!

Here's a little link that has the diversity index rankings for the 20 most diverse counties in the US. Queens is #1, and the #2 spot goes to Alameda county, which includes Oakland and Berkeley and is in the Bay Area. Since rankings are based on percentages, and LA has 9.5 million residents, it really doesn't make sense to look at LA vs SF independent of the surrounding counties in the Bay Area (as I've mentioned before). That means that the most diverse population in California is just across the Bay Bridge from SF. Incidently, LA and SF ranked #9 and #11 with index values of 67.0 and 66.5--which is a statistical dead-heat (not to mention the fact that LA is dropping, according to that index). Beyond that, the Bay area also houses the cities in 12th, 13th, and 18th place, while the LA region is home to #19. Granted, San Diego didn't even place, but the fact remains that your statement that "SF and SD don't have nearly as many minorities" is just ***king WRONG, unless you're talking absolute numbers, which is a no-brainer when comparing the most populous city in the US to a tiny little less-than-a-million-people city like SF.

http://www.clusterbigip1.claritas.com/claritas/pdf/pressreleases/Diversity_Study.pdf

And the following link shows the rankings for the most segrated cities, based on cities that have at least 1 million residents and at least 20,000 black residents. LA places above any other city in California, while San Diego is third from the bottom of California cities (fifth from the bottom overall), above San Jose and the OC.

Not hard to understand you--you're just WRONG.
http://www.detnews.com/2003/census/0304/14/census-22710.htm

UCSBMed1 said:
I know this thread isn't about Sacramento, but don't leave out the valley cities in your diversity statement. Sacramento, Stockton, and Fresno are all very diverse.

In fact, Sacramento was named the most diverse city in the nation by Time Magazine a couple of years ago:

Sacramento as America's Most Diverse City

I know no one wants to live there, but remember that some of us consider the Central Valley home, and NO ONE likes to hear people talk **** about their home.

And cbc, the cow bell thing is so, 2002. I know you guys in the city don't want to be associated with the "valley" but maybe if your Warriors could play basketball no one would lump you in with the Kings... ;)

No disrespect to Sacramento at all--I think that pretty much every major city in California is so highly diverse it's silly to pit one against the others at all. I merely don't mention Sacramento because unlike SF, SD, and LA, I've never spent much time there, nor lived in a directly adjacent city.

haha, i was waiting for people to start spraying their scent onto posts

Nutmeg said:
all posts in this thread

good stuff man.

people here at ucsd sell those norcal hella sucks shirts because many of you norcal'ers seem to bitch about how much cooler it is up there. not that i disagree or anything... :laugh:

and btw, even in the nicer parts of sd there are many hispanic people. last time i checked we're right by a country called mexico.
hispanics are URMs.

San Fran is more diverse than Los Angeles??? lmfao

I think I'll leave this thread alone...

Why do you always have to meddle with others' business? This has nothing to do with you or your life. I said nothing to Eraserhead in that post, as I've stated. And although I did have a post directed against Gleevec, it was in defense of the attacks he initiated against me. You really need to get a life and stop searching for posts regarding others that have nothing to do with you.

Jalby said:

Nutmeg said:
Laugh it up, fun boy.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (That's as many as they would let me do)

cbc said:
Why do you always have to meddle with others' business? This has nothing to do with you or your life. I said nothing to Eraserhead in that post, as I've stated. And although I did have a post directed against Gleevec, it was in defense of the attacks he initiated against me. You really need to get a life and stop searching for posts regarding others that have nothing to do with you.
I'm just trying to be helpfull. If you wanted the reason you are mad at Eraserhead, that would be this thread, which is mocking your thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113499

Thank you Jalby. For the first time, you've actually shown me signs of friendliness. I don't know whether to feel gratified or suspicious. But I applaud you for now for your intent.

Jalby said:
I'm just trying to be helpfull. If you wanted the reason you are mad at Eraserhead, that would be this thread, which is mocking your thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113499

I always have the urge to do this- make a second thread similar to a first with certain words changed, but in this case I was not able to resist as the post was blatantly demanding and annoyed the hell out of me. Jalby is on top of things. :laugh: :laugh: I don't think LA in necessarily more diverse than the bay area, its just a hell of alot bigger...

I'm in San Diego right now and I'm shocked with how diverse it is. There is a lot more non-white people than I thought there would be. There was like 3-4 of them. (totally kidding. I actually really like it here)

People in the Bay Area will just refuse to admit how LA, Orange County, and San Diego are SOOOO much superior to the filthy, smelly bay area. Well, I don't blame them...they live like sardines in a filthy 8 mile by 8 mile plot of land full homeless people, narrow and winding streets chock full of traffic that would make ANY driver want to pull their hair out in frustration, and absolutely horrible weather.

As for "culture"...stuffing a bunch of contemporary art and/or modern film snobs into a small building and letting them schmooze like the dilettantes they are doesn't really constitute "culture." Go to the SF MOMA and you'll see what I mean...it's absolutely pathetic.

People here keep talking about "diversity"...and I noticed how everyone is fixated on ethnic diversity. What about political diversity? Geographic diversity (attracting people from other parts of the country/globe)? The Bay Area is HORRIBLY homogeneous when it comes to political discourse seeing as practically everyone in the Bay Area is liberal. And despite how "open-minded" they say they are..they'll easily shut out any conservative point-of-view.

What's so diverse about tons of people that all think alike? Aren't you more likely to learn more from interacting with people that have different political opinions than yourself? The Bay Area would completely fail when it comes to attracting people from other parts of the country and different places around the globe. No one really wants to spend $1200/month living in a studio apartment (that was constructed in the 1950s) in a dirty, filthy, crime-riddled gutter like Berkeley... when they can live in a lovely, spacious, newly constructed 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in a quiet, safe, and posh neighborhood in Los Angeles for the same amount of money. Economically, why would ANY visitor actually want to stay and live in the Bay Area when they can get SO much more bang for their buck living in Los Angeles or Orange County?

To say that I dislike the Bay Area is a GROSS understatement.

Here's a joke you may or may not appreciate.

I once worked as a customer service rep for a cell phone company. There was one huge difference I noticed between people from New York and people from Los Angeles.

The people from New York could care less about you or your life.

The people from Los Angeles REALLY DO hate you.

(JUST A JOKE)