Do I want to be in SF, LA, or SD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhk43

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in june, i'll be moving from kansas to somewhere in california. pretty much what i'm looking for is sun, a good tan, chill lifestyle.

i was browsing the craigslists LA rants. like 1/2 of them are obsessed with listing top 10 gorgeous people. is LA really that lame? i drive a neon.

SF seems somewhat tame.

SD seems kinda tame and homogeneous.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

San Diego is so much better than LA it is not even close. If you are really into clubs and those weird glowsticks, then you might like LA better, other than that san diego is better.

I have also lived in the bay area, and it is OK. A little too hippie/liberal/freakish for me. SF is a cool town but man is it dirty/smelly. Every street corner smells like urine.

You most likely wouldn't get a tan in SF. And why isn't the OC on your list of places to live?? What type of place are you looking to live???

Members don't see this ad :)
I just noticed you wanted a Chill lifestyle. I'd say go to San Diego or Orange County. I'd recommend Newport, in Orange county.

Originally posted by Jalby
You most likely wouldn't get a tan in SF. And why isn't the OC on your list of places to live?? What type of place are you looking to live???

b/c oc is even more homogeneous than sd. its a very sheltered life behind the Orange Curtain.

oh, i should mention that i have a few friends in LA, but dont know anyone in SD or SF. i hear its impossible to meet people in LA. what bout sd, sf?

as far as urine soaked streets - cant get worse than the east village:)

Its really easy to meet people here in SF I think... if you want to... it would be best in that case to live in the Mission, Lower Haight, Portero Hill, etc. to meet alot of hip 20-somethings.

I'm not sure what you mean by chill lifestyle, but SF is much more chill than NYC. Yeah, you won't get a tan here really unless you make an effort to go surfing (with a wetsuit on! its cold!) or go to the beach on the sunny days before it gets cold at like 4pm.

San Diego seems reallllly quiet, I'm not looking forward to that aspect of it.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
you won't get a tan here really unless you make an effort to go surfing (with a wetsuit on! its cold!)

That's impressive, getting a tan with a wetsuit on.

Haha, well I just meant if you surf you are going to be on the beach more often... people here don't routinely spend time on the beach, its more of a thing you do when it gets warm only.

Alot of people here do that "brown sugar" tanning thing where they spray you with stuff. That's kinda ****ed up I think. I'm pale.

If you are looking for a "chill" lifestyle I definitely wouldn't pick LA. LA is like the anti-chill. It sounds like you are looking for the beach boys california experience and for that I would recommend San Diego. You have the sun, the surf, the laid-back attitude, but you also have some night-life if you want it (Pacific Beach or the Gaslamp District). Besides LA isn't that far away if you feel the need . . .
Eraserhead: yes La Jolla is VERY quiet, but if you make the effort to head to downtown SD (which is like 15 minutes away) you will find it anything but quiet.

*sigh* I'm having yearnings for those carefree undergrad days at UC San Diego :cool:

i'm not even sure what i mean by "chill". like someone said, i guess everwhere in cali is chill relative to nyc. so i guess all 3 cities fit the 'chill' category.

i sorta like that beach boy surfs up thing. at the same time, i want that option of partyin' in a venue that isnt 99% homogen. (w or w/o strange glowstix). diversity is good.

i think i'll just pic out of a hat.

Originally posted by jhk43
i'm not even sure what i mean by "chill". like someone said, i guess everwhere in cali is chill relative to nyc. so i guess all 3 cities fit the 'chill' category.

i sorta like that beach boy surfs up thing. at the same time, i want that option of partyin' in a venue that isnt 99% homogen. (w or w/o strange glowstix). diversity is good.

i think i'll just pic out of a hat.

if you want diversity and parties, i say SF. we have our fare share of glowstix though, and i find those people to be idiots.

jhk43,

SD, SD, SD. I've been to all three cities you've mentioned and SD is by far the best place to live.

tpf

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that SF is cold during the summer and people up here in norcal don't really go to the beach, except maybe santa cruz . . . I speak from experience as I was born and raised in the Bay Area.

Again, I saw Newport beach. It's a party type town that during the day is a beach town. Very chill. If not that, San Diego.

I love L.A. If you have a really bad attitude, you probably won't like it. There are so many different types of people here, there is so much to do and see, and as long as you aren't super insecure and are so wrapped up in looking perfect all the time so people won't judge you, you'll have a blast. Los Angeles is a major metropolitan city - it has it's problems like anywhere else, but to say that it's awful and that it sucks, well, maybe you should look at your expectations. Everyone's different. L.A. has been a wonderful home to me.

Okay, so I have lived in LA & SF, so I will talk about both. There are some basic differences between the two. LA is A LOT larger than SF in terms of size and number of people and is therefore more diverse. The weather in SF is foggier, windier and colder than in LA. SF has much better public transportation, while the beaches in LA are warmer and cleaner. SF is more accesible to awesome outdoorsy types of things (other than Marine sports like Surfing) including hiking, lake sports, skiing/snowboarding, etc. Now for some specifics:

SF: It doesn't really get hot here. It is sunny from time to time, but it's often foggy, rainy and windy. Public transportation is pretty awesome compared to other Cali cities. The beaches suck compared to LA beaches, in my opinion; they are a lot colder, foggier, and dirtier. There are a ton of awesome places in SF and they all are pretty close and low maitenance (if you take public transportation--parking is often annoying and expensive)--North Beach, Embaracadero, Union Square, Golden Gate Park (the largest municipal park in the US), Irving Street, etc. Very cool surrounding areas. North of the bay area = beautiful, with beautiful lakes (Trinity Lake, Shasta Lake), awesome if you like nature/outdoors types of things. Santa Cruz is about 1.5 hrs away. Half moon bay is beautiful and I love the Penninsula. Lake Tahoe with awesome skiing/snowboarding is about 3.5 hours away.

LA: There are soooooooooo many different parts to LA that it's really hard to say something that applies to all of LA. Some parts of LA are more materialistic there than in No. Cali. But there are soooooo many people there from so many walks of life, that it's impossible to call everyone materialistic. SF is diverse, but LA is a lot more diverse. The weather is beautiful and moderate. The beaches are sunny and very clean compared to SF beaches. A lot of very cool coastal areas including Santa Monica, Venice, Marina del Rey (awesome sailing, windsurfing), Manhattan Beach, etc. There is sooooooooo much in LA, because of how large and diverse it is, in terms of culture and lifestyles. Public Transportation sucks. Depending on what part you live in, the air quality will not be as nice as in SF and SD. Traffic sucks, but there's also a lot of traffic in SF too. Not sooo much traffic outside of SF. (Most all big cities have traffic, the reason why LA is notorious for traffic is because it is a geographically large, big city.) If you mostly stay, work, and play in one area of LA and aren't on the freeways so much, than you don't really notice how bad the traffic is. If you are planning to commute, than you might kill yourself after being in your car 2hrs every day.

guess I will speak for SD:
its not a huge city, but you have the Gaslamp District which contains every type of club/bar from ultra cool to your normal pub. Little Italy is nice, Hillsboro can be interesting (you have to go to Extraordinary Desserts!). If you head towards La Jolla (which is 20 minutes from dowtown proper) you will hit Pacific Beach, which is where the college students tend to congregate on the weekends (more bars). As for beaches, there is Coronado, La Jolla Shores and if you keep heading towards LA you will hit Carlsbad and San Clemente (great surf towns). If surfing is in the cards you have La Jolla Shores (aka shores) for beginners and less than a half mile away Blacks Beach . . .which is some of the best surfing in california. Every kind of water sport under the sun can be found in and around SD. And of course no discussion of San Diego would be complete without metioning its proximity to the border which offers easy access to all the fun things you can do in mexico (ie getting chased by the Federales, camping on beautiful beaches, and cheap alcohol).

If you want a more "urban" experience, like what you are used to in NYC, then SF is the closest you can get to that on the West Coast. You've got a lot of the cultural aspects of NYC, just on a smaller scale. But it is much more chill than NYC, or any big northeastern city I have lived in/been to. The pace is slower, people are not as uptight, and it's just generally a more laid-back scene. I wouldn't call SF totally "tame" though. I just had a friend visiting from NYC this weekend and when we went out she was commenting on stuff she saw that she thought would never happen in NYC. But as many have said already SF will not give you the California beach experience. So if that is what you seek I would head down south.

sf is the best out of them all...

but for the needs you require...

id have to say the beach communities of OC. its sunny, warm, chill and laid back. Don't live in the actual city if LA if you dont have to.

But its good that you have friends there that know the area and can hook you up with cool places to go and meet other people etc...

OC is relatively close to SD if you want to visit (1.5 hours) and Santa Barbara is only about 2 hours away. If you ever want to go visit SF and the Bay Area, then a 6 hour drive will get you up there.

To quote my friend's T shirt: "NorCal Hella Sucks"

J/K- Please don't kill me, I actually like the bay area (never lived there though). :D

Assuming you are going to live in a nice area that's not cheap but not terribly expensive:

OC- I grew up in south county, and while I concede that it's a great place to raise a family, it severly lags for 20-somethings. Your best bet is Newport, Huntington or even Costa Mesa. However, the total over-commercialization is quite annoying. Also, I got really sick of rich kids in a lifted truck trying to act bad-ass all the time. My favorite OC city by far is Laguna Beach. A lot of culture, not a lot of chain stores/restaurants and a beautiful area. But, there aren't nearly as many younger people there. That's why I would recommend:

LA- I've been here for 4 years, and while I hate traffic and smog, there are just so many great and different qualities to this city. Areas like Los Feliz and Silverlake are gritty and hip (kinda like the east village I guess). (Old) Hollywood probably has more little unmarked bars than any area and a great music scene. Beverly Hills and WeHo are full of good places to eat. The Westside has the beaches. There are plenty of 20 somethings in every neighborhood. There's always something going on, and overall it's a great place.

At any rate, I would recommend coming out here, checking out the different areas. Crash with a friend for a bit or stay at a hotel. Then decide what you like. :cool:

+1 Laguna Beach. As jay said, it's less commercialized than other coast cities. It has lots of art galleries and a population that perhaps skews a bit to the older side. There's the Sawdust festival and the Pagent of the Masters too.

Newport, IMHO, is too clean (if that's possible).

Huntington Beach is rather over-commercialized at the pier and the rest of it is pretty drab.

Since you want to "chill", I'd recommend Laguna Beach. Actually... there are probably places even further out that are even more sparsely populated. Those places you might like.

This one is a no brainer. For the love of God and all that is holy...DON'T MOVE TO SAN FRANCISCO...the SF Bay Area is absolutely horrid. The weather is pretty ****ty year round (except for the summer obviously), SF is probably one of the dirtiest cities in the country and yes..many parts do smell absolutely atrocious, SF probably also has one of the worst problems with homelessness.

The outlying areas around SF aren't pretty either...the City of Berkeley is a filthy, disgusting, smelly, chaotic, urban wasteland. Oakland has one of the HIGHEST homicide rates in the country because it's one of the worst ghettos in the world...do not EVER walk around that hellhole at night unless you have a deathwish. The whole county of Alameda is just full of industrial pollution and is just an urban wasteland in general.

Reason #32487298473 to NOT go to SF: The housing situation in the Bay Area is HORRIBLE. I know college students paying upwards of $800/month to share a 1-bedroom apt with their roommate. 2 bedroom places in the City of Berkeley routinely sell for more than $2,000/month.

Your little piece of paradise here on Earth: Los Angeles
Ahhhhh **relief washes over me in an awesome wave**...glad to see you're considering lovely southern california as the location for your next home. LA is absolutely wonderful..the weather is GREAT year round (sunshine, mild temperatures, breeze, etc). There are TONS of stuff to do for young people so you'll never be bored...westwood, santa monica, and the valley have tons of bars, clubs, and anything else you could ask for.

LA is very culturally diverse and the beaches there are the best you'll ever see...Malibu, Zuma, Leo Carillo, and Newport..to name a few. The major downside is that you have to use your car to get anywhere because public transportation in LA is almost non-existent. The smog really is not a big deal unless you're in downtown or the temperatures reach unbearable levels (98 degrees+...which is VERY rare).

On any given day in Los Angeles...you can go to the beach and surf to your heart's desire in the morning. You can go to the lifts and ski as much as you want during the afternoon (Mammoth, Big Bear, etc). After you're done with that...you can go to the NBC Burbank Studios or Paramount Studios to watch a taping of your favorite sitcom. That night, you can then head out to Westwood or Santa Monica and get trashed at one of the many bars and clubs in the area.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
This one is a no brainer. For the love of God and all that is holy...DON'T MOVE TO SAN FRANCISCO...the SF Bay Area is absolutely horrid. The weather is pretty ****ty year round (except for the summer obviously), SF is probably one of the dirtiest cities in the country and yes..many parts do smell absolutely atrocious, SF probably also has one of the worst problems with homelessness.

The outlying areas around SF aren't pretty either...the City of Berkeley is a filthy, disgusting, smelly, chaotic, urban wasteland. Oakland has one of the HIGHEST homicide rates in the country because it's one of the worst ghettos in the world...do not EVER walk around that hellhole at night unless you have a deathwish. The whole county of Alameda is just full of industrial pollution and is just an urban wasteland in general.

Reason #32487298473 to NOT go to SF: The housing situation in the Bay Area is HORRIBLE. I know college students paying upwards of $800/month to share a 1-bedroom apt with their roommate. 2 bedroom places in the City of Berkeley routinely sell for more than $2,000/month.

Your little piece of paradise here on Earth: Los Angeles
Ahhhhh **relief washes over me in an awesome wave**...glad to see you're considering lovely southern california as the location for your next home. LA is absolutely wonderful..the weather is GREAT year round (sunshine, mild temperatures, breeze, etc). There are TONS of stuff to do for young people so you'll never be bored...westwood, santa monica, and the valley have tons of bars, clubs, and anything else you could ask for.

LA is very culturally diverse and the beaches there are the best you'll ever see...Malibu, Zuma, Leo Carillo, and Newport..to name a few. The major downside is that you have to use your car to get anywhere because public transportation in LA is almost non-existent. The smog really is not a big deal unless you're in downtown or the temperatures reach unbearable levels (98 degrees+...which is VERY rare).

On any given day in Los Angeles...you can go to the beach and surf to your heart's desire in the morning. You can go to the lifts and ski as much as you want during the afternoon (Mammoth, Big Bear, etc). After you're done with that...you can go to the NBC Burbank Studios or Paramount Studios to watch a taping of your favorite sitcom. That night, you can then head out to Westwood or Santa Monica and get trashed at one of the many bars and clubs in the area.

Could you be anymore biased???:rolleyes:

I could say many similar things about LA (South Central, downtown, East LA, etc) but I'll spare you.

If you want to live in a place that is so into themselves that they think anyone living outside of SoCal is a hick, then pick SoCal. If you want to live in a fast-paced city similar to the East Coast (but more laid back) and with culture, then chose San Francisco.

Originally posted by UCSBMed1

I could say many similar things about LA (South Central, downtown, East LA, etc) but I'll spare you.

If you want to live in a place that is so into themselves that they think anyone living outside of SoCal is a hick, then pick SoCal. If you want to live in a fast-paced city similar to the East Coast (but more laid back) and with culture, then chose San Francisco.

Well said.

If you want to live in a place that is so into themselves that they think anyone living outside of SoCal is a hick, then pick SoCal.

I thought you guys all were hicks. You guys bring your cow bells to your basketball games, afterall.

BerkeleyPremed: That is what you get for going to Berkeley. Berkeley has the WORST weather of any part of the Bay Area. It also has the worst housing crunch and personally you couldn't PAY me enough to live there. I totally agree with UCSDBMed1.
As for all that crape abou San Francisco being dirty and smelly, etc. (which is sooooo incredibley false) I could turn that right around and apply it to LA. LA has all of that without the charm, at least that is my personal opinion. As for crime, two words: South Central.
I only recommended San Diego to the OP because it seems like they were interested in the "Beach Boys" experience . . . but if they were asking about where they should settle down in live I would definitely say the Bay Area. However I know that you socalers won't ever agree. This debate surfaces every year in the campus newspaper at UC San Diego and guess what it is never settled!

LA and SF are far more diverse than San Diego. In addition, people say gaslamp and downtown area, because thats the ONLY considerable nightlife there. SF and LA is a hard decision. SF is gorgeous with its bridges and surrounding water, and it does have alot of nightlife. I will agree that in terms of comparisons to NYC..SF is a smaller version. If you are a big fan of food and wine then SF is your city. However, in your criteria you said you want a tan and some beach....that would then lean me to recommend LA. LA is VERY BIG...I think the prior post about LA being the most diverse of the three was right on the ball. You get what you want out of this city. If you want intense traffic and a busy atmosphere then its downtown, or along wilshire. If you want something relaxed, dense, but still busy try the west side (century city or Hollywood) or pasadena. If you want something like "Father of the bride" type of living look towards San Merino, Beverly Hills, or Brentwood. LA has a huge nightlife, not to mention all the other things going on in this city. Traffic is a pain year round...and the smog and high temps are usually reserved for the summertime in the valleys surrounding LA. You get weather very similar to San Diego close to the coast. As for your needs, it sounds like manhattan beach would sound right or even Malibu. Both are expensive, but both have great beaches...chill..posh and stylish...and easy access to all the other great things in LA.

Originally posted by celticmists18
BerkeleyPremed: That is what you get for going to Berkeley. Berkeley has the WORST weather of any part of the Bay Area. It also has the worst housing crunch and personally you couldn't PAY me enough to live there. I totally agree with UCSDBMed1.
As for all that crape abou San Francisco being dirty and smelly, etc. (which is sooooo incredibley false) I could turn that right around and apply it to LA. LA has all of that without the charm, at least that is my personal opinion. As for crime, two words: South Central.

Seriously. The worst urine smell I have experienced in California was in Santa Monica by the beach. It was totally nasty and nothing in have experienced in SF (I worked in the Tenderloin) even came close. Berkeley has a housing crunch but the rest of the area is actually much better now, at least much better than it was 3-4 yrs ago. If you BART two stops from El Cerrito you can find a nice 2-bedroom apt for under $1100/mo. And as for Oakland I have lived, and have friends who have lived, in neighborhoods that are not the nicest (we're not talking up in the hills) but are FINE. Yes, Oakland has some bad areas but to classify the whole city as a "hellhole" and "worst ghetto in the world" is way out of line. I don't love Downtown Berkeley but I really don't think it's a "chaotic urban wasteland." Believe me, there are a lot worse places out there, many of them areas that some medical schools serve.

Bottom line is that you can find problems with any area, esp. a large urban area. I love the Bay Area and plan to live and practice there but it isn't for everyone. I agree with celtic and others who recommend the Bay Area but tell the OP to go elsewhere for the beach experience.

exactly...

personally sf is awesome.

i believe there are parts of berkeley that are beautiful and the other parts...well haha i cant live without it. gotta have that. what would berkeley be without the quirks and the people.

i personally like the weather in the bay area. i love fog, rain, and sun. and snow isnt too far away. i do like have close to 4 seasons rather than just 2 down in socal...maybe 2.

berkeley rules!

WRONG. To all of you who are saying, "What about South Central??" South Central does NOT have a homicide rate that comes even close to the homicide rate in Oakland. You are MUCH more likely to be shot and killed walking around the streets of Oakland at night than you are walking around the streets of LAs hardest ghettos (South Central, Inglewood, Crenshaw, Watts, etc). Oakland IS MORE dangerous than these areas. Sorry to break it to you...Oakland is practically just as bad as Detroit, Michigan...

So many parts of the Bay Area have a nasty, lingering stench...it's so utterly repulsive. Fisherman's Wharf (obviously...all that fish, seafood, etc) smells like a huge sewer. The BART stations smell absolutely atrocious because of the conglomeration of stenches emanating from trash, rotting food, and God knows what else festers down there. I've never seen RATS out and about until I came to Berkeley and saw rats scurrying about the streets (crawling into and out of storm drains) at night. Can the City Council of Berkeley stop focusing their attention on formulating their own foreign policy and declaring their airspace as "free from missiles?"...and START focusing its attention on issues actually affecting the poor residents of their filthy city...like rodents, piss poor public schools that fail miserably at everything, clinically insane homeless people that harass and frighten random passer-bys, streets with trash strewn everywhere, affordable housing, etc.

San Francisco is MUCH more densely packed than Los Angeles so you constantly have to deal with crowds, long lines, horrible traffic, etc. To make it worse, the civil engineers that laid out the freeways and streets in and around SF weren't the brightest pennies in the fountain either. Anyone who has commuted in the Bay Area and commuted in and around LA would notice that the Bay Area freeways have FEWER lanes creating a horrible bottleneck affect at many different points. Not even the worthless BART (which is only available to 20% of the population in the Bay Area...lol...those transportation engineers must've been brilliant) can relieve the horrible traffic in SF's narrow, clogged freeways and streets.

Even the STREETS in the suburbs of SF are more narrow ..this causes more accidents and just pisses people off in general because people park on the sides of the streets which then makes maneuvering your vehicle absolutely impossible in some narrow streets. To relieve the horrible traffic, the imbeciles decided to create a ****load of one-way streets in the Bay Area. This just causes confused drivers to turn into a street and then backup and turn the other way when they've realized their own ******* was about to go the wrong way on a 1-way street.

Fortunately, the civil and structural engineers who laid out the freeways and streets in Los Angeles weren't blithering idiots like their northern california counterparts. The 405, 118, 101, etc are all WIDE with plenty of lanes and assuming you're not commuting during rush hour (which will cause a bad commute in ANY city)..you'll have a pleasant, traffic-free ride. Just drive down the 118 at virtually any time and you'll see what I mean.

Other posters have mentioned that SF has "culture"...umm...and Los Angeles doesn't? The Hollywood Bowl, the Wilshire Theater, the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, the Getty, Skirball, LACMA, and the list goes on...

To make matters worse for the resident of the filthy Bay Area...there are POWER OUTS that occur somewhat regularly here. I remember a huge powerout my freshman year when a huge section of the power grid just died and went straight to heaven (or hell in this case..it is the bay area). At the very beginning of this semester...there was a power out again and a huge sector of the power grid blinked out.

This debate can be settled so very easily. Los Angeles has a quality of life that could NEVER be paralleled by the Bay Area. Even the WOMEN look better in southern california (I know this is a subjective argument..but still). Walking around the UC Berkeley campus...any heterosexual male (we've already eliminated a huge portion of the Bay Area population by saying "heterosexual") would feel like they're walking around in a kennel.

Los Angeles...how I long to step on your beautiful soil and bask in your sunlight :love:

Berk- Are you sure you aren't just one of those people that is unhappy everywhere?

LA IT IS (for now)

I might make one more suggestion:

I was just in downtown Long Beach for a concert tonight, and I have to say I'm quite impressed. Lots of nice high rise apartments overlooking the harbor, good restaurants, a generally clean area... It's not a huge downtown, but it is quite nice. The only thing I'm not sure of is how many younger people are around that area. Oh, and it's on the harbor, so there aren't any immediately adjacent beaches. But I'm sure there's pretty close nearby. You might look into it.

Like I said before: COME OUT HERE AND CHECK OUT DIFFERENT AREAS BEFORE YOU DECIDE EXACTLY WHERE YOU WANT TO LIVE. It will definitely be worth your time to see things for yourself.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
Berk- Are you sure you aren't just one of those people that is unhappy everywhere?

If that were case...why do I love Los Angeles so much and keep praising it in this thread? If I was "unhappy everywhere"...wouldn't I be bashing LA too?

i'm with you berkeley premed. i also like socal better than norcal.

Originally posted by jay16942
I might make one more suggestion:

I was just in downtown Long Beach for a concert tonight, and I have to say I'm quite impressed. Lots of nice high rise apartments overlooking the harbor, good restaurants, a generally clean area... It's not a huge downtown, but it is quite nice. The only thing I'm not sure of is how many younger people are around that area. Oh, and it's on the harbor, so there aren't any immediately adjacent beaches. But I'm sure there's pretty close nearby. You might look into it.

Like I said before: COME OUT HERE AND CHECK OUT DIFFERENT AREAS BEFORE YOU DECIDE EXACTLY WHERE YOU WANT TO LIVE. It will definitely be worth your time to see things for yourself.

I've been taking the blue line down to the LBC and it is soooo friggen nice. I'm shocked. I could totally move there and love it.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
If that were case...why do I love Los Angeles so much and keep praising it in this thread? If I was "unhappy everywhere"...wouldn't I be bashing LA too?

Are you from LA? Where'd you grow up?

Originally posted by crazy250
i'm with you berkeley premed. i also like socal better than norcal.

More students at Berkeley are from Orange County than like anywhere else. That was my experience at least. And they all seem to "like socal better than norcal" So why do they come? Is it just the fact that Berkeley is ranked higher than UCLA?

I think most californians like where they grew up better. I like socal (san diego much better than LA, but that is just a personal preference), but I definitely like norcal better and I credit it to the fact that I grew up in the Bay Area. BerkeleyPremed: if you hate norcal so much why don't you transfer instead of b*tching and moaning about how much you hate SF?!

Originally posted by celticmists18
I think most californians like where they grew up better. I like socal (san diego much better than LA, but that is just a personal preference), but I definitely like norcal better and I credit it to the fact that I grew up in the Bay Area. BerkeleyPremed: if you hate norcal so much why don't you transfer instead of b*tching and moaning about how much you hate SF?!

Seriously... all these people should just go to UCLA instead and be much happier. If they think going to Berkeley is this big deal and that its going to land them a better job/grad school they are nuts.

celticmists18 said:

I've accumulated way too many college credits to transfer anywhere as of this point. There is no way I can transfer because the vast majority of schools out there put a limit on the # of credits one has completed before they transfer...I've already surpassed that limit at most schools. Secondly, why would I transfer when the best departments for what I want to study are at Berkeley? Note how I never bashed UC BERKELEY...just the filthy city that it's located in and the even filthier metropolitan area (SF) that it's near. I like the institution...I HATE the location, living conditions, quality of life, etc.

Eraserhead said:
Are you from LA? Where'd you grow up?

I was born in a northern suburb of Chicago but moved to LA when I was a little kid. I lived in LA for about 13 years and loved being there...I can't wait to go back once I graduate from Berkeley.

I've been in both socal and norcal for many years. Personally, I think LA sucks. Traffic, heat, overpopulation, superficiality, lack of culture (ppl in ny, boston, sf, dc know what I'm talking about), pollution are the culprits.

cbc said:
I've been in both socal and norcal for many years. Personally, I think LA sucks. Traffic, heat, overpopulation, superficiality, lack of culture (ppl in ny, boston, sf, dc know what I'm talking about), pollution are the culprits.

Don't forget the drugs dealers who seem to follow USC med students everywhere.

Jalby,

That was a good one :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:!!! About cbc that is :laugh:!

BerkeleyPreMed,

If the traffic in SF was so bad, why is LA considered to have the worst traffic in the country (the Bay Area is second)??? :laugh:

You are so biased its not even funny. I don't blame you of course. It's where you grew up--of course you're going to have love for the superficial city that is LA. I hate it, you love it and its all fine and dandy.

Just make sure you take 101 south straight back to SoCal and don't look back after graduating. Don't even apply to UCSF or Stanford, or God forbid!?! UC Davis. We don't want your kind up here...we have enough NorCal bashers to go around.

Stay in your half of the state, and we'll stay in ours. :)

NORCAL

Jalby said:
Don't forget the drugs dealers who seem to follow USC med students everywhere.

I visited USC recently, and I noticed that you guys have the Shrine Auditorium nearby. The whole area didn't look THAT bad.

UCSBMed1 said:
BerkeleyPreMed,

If the traffic in SF was so bad, why is LA considered to have the worst traffic in the country (the Bay Area is second)??? :laugh:

You are so biased its not even funny. I don't blame you of course. It's where you grew up--of course you're going to have love for the superficial city that is LA. I hate it, you love it and its all fine and dandy.

Just make sure you take 101 south straight back to SoCal and don't look back after graduating. Don't even apply to UCSF or Stanford, or God forbid!?! UC Davis. We don't want your kind up here...we have enough NorCal bashers to go around.

Stay in your half of the state, and we'll stay in ours. :)

NORCAL
i love norcal!! even though almost half of my life has been spent in the orange county/la area.

as i have said time and time again...if you wanna find me in the future...ill be up north :)