DO ignorance sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate dealing with DO ignorance now that I'm probably going to a DO school. It's especially worse because I work at Duke, which is a huge academic institution. My other co workers who are also in the pre med stage (but have been accepted to MD schools), refer to DO schools as "DO programs", not just medical school. Some of them even think that there is a hierarchy in hospitals that goes MD>DO>PA>NP>the rest

How pervasive is this mentality? I keep hearing that it's confined to the "old MD residency directors" but these are my contemporaries and potentially colleagues that old these ill and nasty views.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's pervasive and not contained to retirement age physicians.

Reactions: 2 users
"A rose called by any other name still smell as sweet". Now ask yourself, are you here for the patients or for the last two initial letters after your name?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hate dealing with DO ignorance now that I'm probably going to a DO school. It's especially worse because I work at Duke, which is a huge academic institution. My other co workers who are also in the pre med stage (but have been accepted to MD schools), refer to DO schools as "DO programs", not just medical school. Some of them even think that there is a hierarchy in hospitals that goes MD>DO>PA>NP>the rest

How pervasive is this mentality? I keep hearing that it's confined to the "old MD residency directors" but these are my contemporaries and potentially colleagues that old these ill and nasty views.

It only matters to pre-meds. Senseless, arrogant, lacking in life experience pre-meds.

Reactions: 8 users
"A rose called by any other name still smell as sweet". Now ask yourself, are you here for the patients or for the last two initial letters after your name?

A little bit of both? Just being honest. I don't have the idealistic pre med mentality that I'm there to "help people" and "save the world." I want to have an effect on people's lives but I'm equally there for the reknown and prestige that comes with this profession

A little bit of both? Just being honest. I don't have the idealistic pre med mentality that I'm there to "help people" and "save the world." I want to have an effect on people's lives but I'm equally there for the reknown and prestige that comes with this profession

IMO The profession is the profession of being a physician, scientist, and advocate for your patients. Not being an MD.

Reactions: 3 users

Funny, maybe some of your colleagues should look at their own medical school... one of my current professors (DO) was a department chair and professor at Duke med for a number of years.

You just can't let it bother you. Get into the best school you can, do the best you can, and get a good residency. Once you're working side-by-side with your closed-minded former colleagues, you will hopefully see that it doesn't matter what your degree is.

Reactions: 1 users

Why pa over np? What? Actually NP has more pratice rights in some areas. But the concept that even MD/do> np/pa is concerning to besides the inherent problem in one doctor is better then another. Is a Harvard doctor better then a Stanford doctor too? Absurb. When you are a successful DO you won't see these things and it won't bother you.

Why pa over np? What? Actually NP has more pratice rights in some areas. But the concept that even MD/do> np/pa is concerning to besides the inherent problem in one doctor is better then another. Is a Harvard doctor better then a Stanford doctor too? Absurb. When you are a successful DO you won't see these things and it won't bother you.
PAs have medical training, NPs have nursing training. Not to mention the significantly more clinical hours that PAs get compared to NPs within said training.

Reactions: 4 users
It seems to be most common among pre-meds.

Yes, I agree.

I see a touch of it in some of major academic institutions in NYC as well. Such is life.

If power/prestige is what you pursue D.O. for, then sir I think you will never feel total fulfilment. Because graduating from D.O. school, you will be D.O. forever; it just wont magically change to M.D. , if this is what you feel now, then you will still feel the inferiority to M.D. (at least that what you think ppl feel about you) many more years later. I suggest you only try to get into M.D. school to get that precious initials you want, so you can feel total power/prestige

PAs have medical training, NPs have nursing training. Not to mention the significantly more clinical hours that PAs get compared to NPs within said training.

Gonna have to disagree with this one. NPs and PAs are both mid level practioners and are on the medical model not nursing model even though NPs start off on the nursing model. Sure NPs start off as nurses but very little they learnt in nursing school they use (dealing with death and dying stuff they use). NPs also have more indepadance in some states (22) and hospitals prefer them for that reason. PAs always require supervision.

The difference between the two aren't big but if you wanted to say one greater then the other (insane) it would be NP over PA for increased practice rights.

Also I actually think NPs have more clinical hours (1000 in their speciality) but not sure about this one.

Learn more here:
http://www.practicingclinicians.com/cms/wb/pages/nursepractitioner_and_physicianassistant.php

Not trying to be conforntational but if we were to make insane judgment calls on who is higher up it would have to be NPs. Advantage to PA is it is more direct route from college. Also you have more broad practice as a PA. NPs are more specalized. Kinda have to decide before going to practioner school

Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna have to disagree with this one. NPs and PAs are both mid level practioners and are on the medical model not nursing model even though NPs start off on the nursing model. Sure NPs start off as nurses but very little they learnt in nursing school they use (dealing with death and dying stuff they use). NPs also have more indepadance in some states (22) and hospitals prefer them for that reason. PAs always require supervision.

The difference between the two aren't big but if you wanted to say one greater then the other (insane) it would be NP over PA for increased practice rights.

Also I actually think NPs have more clinical hours (1000 in their speciality) but not sure about this one.

Learn more here:
http://www.practicingclinicians.com/cms/wb/pages/nursepractitioner_and_physicianassistant.php

Not trying to be conforntational but if we were to make insane judgment calls on who is higher up it would have to be NPs. Advantage to PA is it is more direct route from college. Also you have more broad practice as a PA. NPs are more specalized. Kinda have to decide before going to practioner school

Am going to have to disagree.

PA's have 1) stringent standardized board exams at multiple levels of their training to ensure require competencies within clinical practice 2) strong minimal clinical work that is comparable to medical training clinical exposure. Also oversight and mentorship underneath physicians while in clinical training ensure satisfactory clinical knowledge and fundamental basic science backing their clinical judgment.

50% of DNP grads failed an augmented (easier and shorter) version of the USMLE Step 3 , that makes it even more infuriating to know that NP's have private practices and provide the "best care" to their patients.

Unless there is standardization in the knowledge base in DNP education across the nation, PA>NP.

Last edited:
I've seen it in at least one med student on SDN. They referred to DOs in saying "...intelligent people don't take a back door to get into medicine."

I've met a few premeds who either had no idea what osteopathic medicine was or who had the idea that it is somehow below them or a bad career move. Oh yes. The wise and experienced premed definitely has the capacity to foresee the future and understand what are and aren't good career moves in medicine. The two DOs I've met have been a pulmonologist who volunteers at a free clinic and a neurosurgeon who invented an artificial cervical disk.

Reactions: 6 users

Learn more here:

Not disagreeing, yet there's a reason why PA's make (on average) more $ than NP's.

I've seen it in at least one med student on SDN. They referred to DOs in saying "...intelligent people don't take a back door to get into medicine."

Good to see that their god complex is developing nicely.

Reactions: 9 users
Not disagreeing, yet there's a reason why PA's make (on average) more $ than NP's.

That's just not true. They make about the same. across the nation NPs make 89.9k vs pa 89.7k .

Source :

http://profitable-practice.software...ts-why-you-should-hire-one-or-the-other-0513/

Also the notion I make more I'm better is absurb.
Am going to have to disagree.

PA's have 1) stringent standardized board exams at multiple levels of their training to ensure require competencies within clinical practice 2) strong minimal clinical work that is comparable to medical training clinical exposure. Also oversight and mentorship underneath physicians while in clinical training ensure satisfactory clinical knowledge and fundamental basic science backing their clinical judgment.

50% of DNP grads failed an augmented (easier and shorter) version of the USMLE Step 3 , that makes it even more infuriating to know that NP's have private practices and provide the "best care" to their patients.

Unless there is standardization in the knowledge base in DNP education across the nation, I will always turn to a PA for my primary care but will respect an NP to provide nursing duties and not diagnostic/clinical duties.

In my experience NPs are actually better then PAs. I spend a lot of time with these people and usually the more experienced mid level practioner knows more but it always seem to be the NP teaching the PA. PAs would fail at a similar rate the USLME. NPs have exams just the same. But that's also an unfair metric because I'm sure those NPs didn't study for the exam. If they did I think they would actually do pretty well.

Again the difference is small but NPs have more practice right so if you are going to say one is superior to another (I'm not you guys are) it has to be NPs that are superior. Why would you say the more limited practioner is superior. I would personally go to a NP over a PA

Last edited:

I've met a few premeds who either had no idea what osteopathic medicine was or who had the idea that it is somehow below them or a bad career move. Oh yes. The wise and experienced premed definitely has the capacity to foresee the future and understand what are and aren't good career moves in medicine. The two DOs I've met have been a pulmonologist who volunteers at a free clinic and a neurosurgeon who invented an artificial cervical disk.

Yeah, a pre-med who just started their pre-reqs asked me about my plans for med school, and when I said I'll be attending DO school next year, they dismissed this and asked something to the effect of "yeah but what about REAL med schools?" Lolz. I am incredibly proud that I will be a DO, but it is frustrating that some people (*especially* frustrating when it's those outside of healthcare who have no equivalent training or knowledge) are so quick to look down at your differently spelled degree.

In my experience NPs are actually better then PAs. I spend a lot of time with these people and usually the more experienced mid level practioner knows more but it always seem to be the NP teaching the PA. I would be PAs would fail at a similar rate. NPs have exams just the same.

Again the difference is small but NPs have more practice right so if you are going to say one is superior to another (I'm not you guys are) it has to be NPs that are superior. Why would you say the more limited practioner is superior. I would personally go to a NP over a PA

To each his own. I respect your opinion either way!

To each his own. I respect your opinion either way!

OK that's fair. There are pros and cons of both.

All I was originally saying is that telling people PA is better then NP (or even NP greater then PA) just isn't true. Lay out the differences and explain it to them honestly. Common knowledge seems to be PA>NP but that's not honest.

But to be fair I wouldn't say MD/DO>NP/PA everyone plays a vital role and work as a team.

For those mad about NP and PAs getting practice rights saying they are vastly inferior that's also not completely true. In my experience they are actually very knowledgeable and for the routine stuff they are very good and really help fill gaps. We need them

There is definitely DO bias floating around, but I don't find myself bothered at all by it. At the end of the day, I want to practice rural medicine, I have had the opportunity and stats to select between MD or DO and will be selecting DO as I think that is the route that will best get me where I need to be.

On a broader note there is always bias in the ranks of any profession. I spent many years as a career paramedic and there was the same sort of battle of "who was the best" among paid paramedics vs volunteer paramedics vs fire department paramedics vs commercial agencies vs fire agencies, vs municipal third party agencies. At the end of the day, most of the people in all the aforementioned areas were competent providers and it was really just a silly thing.

That's just not true. They make about the same. I have a parent who is a NP and my parent makes more then PA counterparts who are in the same role. Also across the nation NPs make 89.9k vs pa 89.7k .

Source :

http://profitable-practice.software...ts-why-you-should-hire-one-or-the-other-0513/

Also the notion I make more I'm better is absurb.

In my experience NPs are actually better then PAs. I spend a lot of time with these people and usually the more experienced mid level practioner knows more but it always seem to be the NP teaching the PA. PAs would fail at a similar rate the USLME. NPs have exams just the same. But that's also an unfair metric because I'm sure those NPs didn't study for the exam. If they did I think they would actually do pretty well.

I don't think you should let the fact that your parent is an NP overly influence your views. Some NP's are better than some PA's, and vice versa, but there's no way you can say NP's as a whole are superior based on their practice rights. They simply leaned on whoever with their massive union support. I don't have a dog in the fight so it doesn't matter too much one way or the other, but just take a look at the educational models. The majority of NP schools have very weak curriculum's and then you have all the wannabe online NP'ers. Seriously, the profession loses credibility extremely fast when they grant degrees to just about anybody. PA school is almost straight science and heavily biased toward clinical medicine. My Mom went to the walk in the other week for a sore throat and the NP didn't even look at her throat!

For me, I have to agree with everyone that mostly only pre-med students think MD > DO because they only think about it in terms of academic performance and numerical stats, especially those who are only into MD. I also admit the fact that MD > DO in terms of numerical stats to get in the medical program. However, in terms of curriculum, practicality, reality difficulty level, DO = MD + OMM, so from this point of view we have to admit that DO > MD. Even Dr. AT Still is an MD who advocates holistic approach to treat patients, so MD titles are modified to DO to represent the ideas and unique philosophy, but DO is essentially MD + OMM. I believe that the ignorance regarding DO would remain until at least 50% physicians now are DO, and number of DO schools reach to about equal number of MD schools, then people will change their mind, numerical stats to get in DO is the same as MD, or DO title changes to MD/DO or MD/OMM or whatever that says MD in it, then a large number of ignorant people will change their mind completely even though they still have no idea what osteopathic medicine is...

Last edited:
For me, I have to agree with everyone that mostly only pre-med students think MD > DO because they only think about it in terms of academic performance and numerical stats, especially those who are only into MD. I also admit the fact that MD > DO in terms of numerical stats to get in the medical program. However, in terms of curriculum, practicality, reality difficulty level, DO = MD + OMM, so from this point of view we have to admit that DO > MD. Even Dr. AT Still is an MD who advocates holistic approach to treat patients, so MD titles

Numeric difference is small though. And also Osteopathic principles in practice differs from MD

Learn more here:

A.)
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nonpf..../clinicaleducationissuespprfinalapril2010.pdf

http://www.aapa.org/landingquestion.aspx?id=290

http://www.aacn.nche.edu/education-resources/evalcriteria2012.pdf

2,000 vs. 500 clinical hours required for degrees (PA vs. NP).

B.)
http://roanoke.edu/Academics/Academ..._in_Health_Professions/Nurse_Practitioner.htm

http://medicine.yale.edu/pa/profession/history_profession.aspx

Nice comparison here: http://www.acponline.org/running_practice/practice_management/human_resources/panp2.pdf

http://www.jblearning.com/samples/0763749338/49338_ch03_pass2.pdf

http://www.jblearning.com/samples/0763749338/49338_ch03_pass2.pdf

In summation, NPs use the nursing model and are governed by the BOARD OF NURSING in 42/50 states + DC while in the other 8 states they are governed by co-boards. PAs use the medical model and are governed by the AAPA JOINTLY with the AMA in all 50 states, DC, and Guam.

Last edited:
Numeric difference is small though. And also Osteopathic principles in practice differs from MD
The problem is that Ignorant people dont think the difference is small, and they also dont think DOs are MDs who pracrice medicine with "holistic approach" philosophy and different principles, even some people think DOs are just something to deal with physical therapy...

I know now that the degrees are essentially identical.

But I won't lie. A few years ago, I had never heard of DO. A lot of people have no idea about it.

I know now that the degrees are essentially identical.

But I won't lie. A few years ago, I had never heard of DO. A lot of people have no idea about it.
It is obviously a good sign that DOs are getting more and more recognized and because of that, it is also more demanding and harder to get in in the near future !

I used to think it mattered so much more for some reason, but at the end of the day if I get paid the same as an MD (which I will) I could not give two ****s.

OK you posted a bunch of links. I read through them (quickly aint nobody got time for that) and saw nothing that refuted my claims. Some refuted my salary claim but that depends on your source also. I showed sources that showed differently. Also my parent hires NPS and PAs and the hospital actually prefers NPs. Also didn't find anything that supported the hours claim (and I showed links that said different) nor have you refuted my practice rights claims (you can't there undeniable true). So PA>NP is ludacris (my original point). I spent the whole summer with PAs and NPs. If you actually spent time with both of them you would realize they are equally knowledgeable. I say they are equal if you want to differiante them (insane) you would have to say NP is better due to increased practice rights. I don't comprehend how you could argue otherwise.

I used to think it mattered so much more for some reason, but at the end of the day if I get paid the same as an MD (which I will) I could not give two ****s.
Isn't scope of practice being the same the more important point here?

OK you posted a bunch of links. I read through them (quickly aint nobody got time for that) and saw nothing that refuted my claims. Some refuted my salary claim but that depends on your source also. I showed sources that showed differently. Also my parent hires NPS and PAs and the hospital actually prefers NPs. Also didn't find anything that supported the hours claim (and I showed links that said different) nor have you refuted my practice rights claims (you can't there undeniable true). So PA>NP is ludacris (my original point). I spent the whole summer with PAs and NPs. If you actually spent time with both of them you would realize they are equally knowledgeable. I say they are equal if you want to differiante them (insane) you would have to say NP is better due to increased practice rights. I don't comprehend how you could argue otherwise.
The bolded summed up the links above them. I didn't post them for the salary comments. I followed your points via A and B. I never claimed PA>NP: you extrapolated that, oddly, on your own.

You have 0 clue who I have and have not spent time with.

Read the links, or do your own research, and be enlightened.

Last edited:
One of the most interesting things about DO ignorance is that patients will assume you're an MD. A navy doc (Richard jadick) is a DO and was called hero MD (even though he is a DO). He wrote a book (on call in hel)l. People will assume you're a MD even though you aren't. This actually bugs me. Its kind of insulting IMO.

Seriously, the only reason I wanted MD over DO (and I would have happily taken DO, mind you) was because I'd never have to explain what the letters meant. Everyone knows what an MD is.

That too, but I know that's not an issue either. I'm far more worried about NPs/PAs interfering with our scope of practice than I am about MDs.
They can fill in nicely in my opinion and help out with shortage problems and help with cost. I don't see it as a problem (don't worry MDs and DOs will do just fine)

They can fill in nicely in my opinion and help out with shortage problems and help with cost. I don't see it as a problem (don't worry MDs and DOs will do just fine)
I really hope so, but the NP propaganda machine is working overtime and between physicians bickering amongst ourselves along with the lay person perspective that docs are just a bunch of overpaid a**holes, the future looks rather grim.

The problem is that Ignorant people dont think the difference is small, and they also dont think DOs are MDs who pracrice medicine with "holistic approach" philosophy and different principles, even some people think DOs are just something to deal with physical therapy...

Certain people are ignorant with all issues. In practice most people will just assume you are a MD.

And the .2 gpa and 4 MCAT points isn't big. Depending on your do school it could be even less of a difference.

I really hope so, but the NP propaganda machine is working overtime and between physicians bickering amongst ourselves along with the lay person perspective that docs are just a bunch of overpaid a**holes, the future looks rather grim.

Were gonna be fine. We aren't loosing practice rights. If its money you are worried about I think the days when doctors make insane salaries are over. But doctors will still make a nice salary and be able to afford everything they need and more.

There's nothing ill or nasty about these views. I'd never even heard of DO's until about a year before applying to med school and I'm pretty sure most of my class is still pretty confused about how OMM warrants an entirely different degree distinction. The fact of the matter is that it will always be pretty dang awkward trying to explain the difference to people even as a DO student. If you are insecure about others "ignorance" (I wouldn't call it that), or wishy washy about going the DO route, my advice would be to try a little harder for MD.

Edit: My point is that the blame lies within the upper echelon of the DO world who insist on maintaining a distinction that just no longer seems justified, not the average pre-med/lay-person trying to make sense of it all.

Last edited:
There is definitely DO bias floating around, but I don't find myself bothered at all by it. At the end of the day, I want to practice rural medicine, I have had the opportunity and stats to select between MD or DO and will be selecting DO as I think that is the route that will best get me where I need to be.

On a broader note there is always bias in the ranks of any profession. I spent many years as a career paramedic and there was the same sort of battle of "who was the best" among paid paramedics vs volunteer paramedics vs fire department paramedics vs commercial agencies vs fire agencies, vs municipal third party agencies. At the end of the day, most of the people in all the aforementioned areas were competent providers and it was really just a silly thing.
Mainly in the cesspool of neuroticism that some people refer to as preallo.

Mainly in the cesspool of neuroticism that some people refer to as preallo.
"OMG! B or W?!"
"Freshman year with one B. Am I screwed?"
"Will a second major make me look good?"

stfu

Reactions: 10 users
Pre-Osteo is comparatively much more chill than Pre-Allo. I like it here.

Perspective isn't a class they teach at a university.
Remaining a whiny, ignorant fekin high schooler apparently is what most of these people are majoring in.

Wanted to make another point about clinical hours with this whole NP vs PA thing.

Found a NP online who wrote this and its very accurate. Really puts down the clinical hour thing:

" I think it is important to point out that NP’s have all of the same medical privileges as you pointed out for the PA. We diagnose, treat, and have prescriptive authority. In fact, in NYS a nurse practitioner is an independent provider, where a PA must work under the direct supervision of a physician. Somehow the term “nurse” in the title of the practitioner seems to allow for the belief that we do not perform these services, when in fact, we not only perform them, but are able to legally and professional perform them without a supervising doctor. We do require a collaborative agreement with a physician, and rightfully so. Isn’t collaboration what medicine is all about anyway? So please be sure gentle reader that a you understand: a NP likely has had multiple years of clinical experience prior to entering into an accreditation program, providing him/her with an outstanding knowledge base clinically. We are INDEPENDENT providers. This needs to be pointed out as a distinct difference between an NP and a PA.
Every PA I know has an excellent ability to diagnose and treat. I am blessed to work with several that are outstanding, so there should be no concern that the care provided by a PA is less than that of a NP; they simply are required to have supervision and more oversight in their daily delivery of care."

So there you have it. Nurse model and medical model and clinical hours debates debunked. NP=PA if you say otherwise you're uniformed

Is this sarcasm or are you really implying that one NP's opinion debunks an entire debate? PA training is superior to NP training by a long shot. This CAN be confirmed by simply comparing curriculums between the two programs. The fact that they somehow managed to become independent providers can be attributed entirely to politics.