DO in Emergency Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

Acheron

I have a number of questions and I suppose this is the place to ask.

If I get a DO degree how likely is it that I will be able to go into Emergency Medicine?

Also, does a DO working in EM get paid less than an MD? (I ask because tuition is comparable and I'm trying to minimize the number of years I'm in debt post-graduation).

I am a borderline student for an MD and I'm trying to weigh all my options before making a definite decision.

Members don't see this ad.

If I get a DO degree how likely is it that I will be able to go into Emergency Medicine?

Also, does a DO working in EM get paid less than an MD? (I ask because tuition is comparable and I'm trying to minimize the number of years I'm in debt post-graduation).

I am a borderline student for an MD and I'm trying to weigh all my options before making a definite decision.

1. It depends on you and how well you do in school. That is, work hard, get a good board score, do well in 3rd year, shine in your EM rotations and get good LORs. THAT IS HOW ONE GETS INTO AN EM RESIDENCY MD AND DO ALIKE. It's not like going to an MD school means you are magically guaranteed a spot anywhere. With that being said, there are also Osteopathic only and Dual MD/DO EM residencies that you will have exclusive access to. Some of these programs are at amazing places.

2. MDs and DOs get paid the SAME EXACT amount.

Oh, here's a list of Osteo, Allo and dual MD/DO residencies and fellowships. https://services.aamc.org/eras/erasstats/par/display8.cfm?NAV_ROW=PAR&SPEC_CD=O17

Please use the search function and you will find tons of information there.

If you do well on your Boards then you'll have plenty of opportunities to go into EM. You will make just as much as your MD counterparts too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. All of your comments were very helpful.

How difficult is an EM residency to get as a DO?

I know for example it is moderately competitive for a MD to get into EM but that 90% of US MD grads do match into a EM program if that is the specialty they want to pursue.

Considering that there are residencies exclusively available to DO grads what would you say the chances are of DO getting into an EM residency program?

Also, do you have any links as to where I can find out if the DO exclusive EM residencies are at level 1 trauma centers?

Thanks. All of your comments were very helpful.

How difficult is an EM residency to get as a DO?

I know for example it is moderately competitive for a MD to get into EM but that 90% of US MD grads do match into a EM program if that is the specialty they want to pursue.

Considering that there are residencies exclusively available to DO grads what would you say the chances are of DO getting into an EM residency program?

Also, do you have any links as to where I can find out if the DO exclusive EM residencies are at level 1 trauma centers?

I know that there is a report called "charting outcomes" which outlines how many people get their residencies of choice, but it might be for only allopathic residencies. There might be a DO equivalent, but frankly I'm too lazy right now to look for it. Try googling it.

For DO EM residencies, here ya go: http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...essionid=f0309ad08c8f76ee8d52568547e4e6468106
google will be your friend here in figuring out which ones are level 1 trauma. you can also look up level 1 trauma centers by state and match it against the list.

I read on some of the other forums on here that USMLE might be pass/fail some time soon. How true is this rumor and if true, how much of an impact would it have?

I'm not sure about your specific questions, but I've been working in an ED for the past 2 years and we have 10 doctors that rotate (4 full time) and 5 of them are DOs (2 are full time). I also know that in the ED in the hospital south of where I work has a few DOs working as well. So I'd say that the chances of becoming an ER Doc as a DO is still pretty good. As for pay, it's all the same.

It's like any other specialty, if you work hard, get good grades and focus you'll likely get in. If not, you won't.

I specifically chose DO over MD and only applied to DO schools knowing that I wanted to get into EM. It all worked out. As someone stated earlier, the salaries are the same whether DO or MD. I also knew that I wanted to do an EMS fellowship and am doing that now. So the MD or DO thing did not impact that choice either witht he exception of one state that required an internship year in a DO program, which I opted not to do. So that removed Fellowships in that state. I got the waiver, but 3 months after I had been accepted to other programs.

Wook

i shadowed an ER doc that was a DO and got a letter from her too. so its not like DOs are banned from the ER

You shouldn't face much hesitation to match into an EM program as DO... the type/caliber/name of the program may vary, though, depending on you.

Nothing like getting solid advice from a fellow Oasis fan.

Seriously, my thanks to everybody who has posted. I never gave DO school very much consideration prior to today but I've done some googling and I'm warming up to the idea of attending.

I'm questionable for MD school because my GPA (3.3 strong finish, weak start) is on the weak side but my MCAT was decent (33O) so I think I will send out a few applications to DO schools.

Anybody have pros or cons for their school? Also, tuition factors in... unfortunately, I live in a state with only one medical school and it private & Ivy.

Nothing like getting solid advice from a fellow Oasis fan.

Seriously, my thanks to everybody who has posted. I never gave DO school very much consideration prior to today but I've done some googling and I'm warming up to the idea of attending.

I'm questionable for MD school because my GPA (3.3 strong finish, weak start) is on the weak side but my MCAT was decent (33O) so I think I will send out a few applications to DO schools.

Anybody have pros or cons for their school? Also, tuition factors in... unfortunately, I live in a state with only one medical school and it private & Ivy.

There's a HUGE thread with Pros/Cons of each DO school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask! Helpful people here

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
emergency medicine is classified as primary care by the AOA.

THUS- schools with emphasis on primary care (like DO schools) have very good res. match %'s

you wanna be an er doc, go DO

emergency medicine is classified as primary care by the AOA.

THUS- schools with emphasis on primary care (like DO schools) have very good res. match %'s

you wanna be an er doc, go DO

I've never felt that ER was primary care. I actually discussed this very issue at an interview and I think both docs (one in surg one in IM) agreed with me.

I've never felt that ER was primary care. I actually discussed this very issue at an interview and I think both docs (one in surg one in IM) agreed with me.

ER in a big trauma center may not feel like primary care but when you get into smaller ERs it seems like thats all it is...especially on weekends when they get every sore throat and earache. For many people that is the only doctor they ever go see.

One of the docs I work with in my ED graduated from PCOM.

DOs always match well in ER. That field's wide open to DO graduates. :cool:

Why has anesthesia's competition/desire been falling? I understand with G-surg its the hours, training necessary, etc. but why has anesthesia started a descent in competition?

No freakin' idea. Anesthesia is a great field in terms of compensation and lifestyle and it has only gotten better in recent times. Malpractice has gone WAY down and reimbursements are actually slated to rise (check out the CMS proposed rate changes).

I find it strange as well. Maybe people just don't like it/consider it boring?

No freakin' idea. Anesthesia is a great field in terms of compensation and lifestyle and it has only gotten better in recent times. Malpractice has gone WAY down and reimbursements are actually slated to rise (check out the CMS proposed rate changes).

I find it strange as well. Maybe people just don't like it/consider it boring?

From what I've heard (from a DO Anes) 1. Oversaturation in the market 2. Pressure from midlevels (the CRNA/AA or whatever).

All specialities go in waves excluding the ones with so few residency slots that they kind of force a shortage/competiveness. (I'm convinced if derm had tons of spots and enough market saturation that the stats would go down)

Many people just find anes boring. All they see is a person sitting there and staring most of the time. Some don't want to deal with surgeons all day. Some feel there is a lack of respect. Some are worried about midlevel stuff. (although I feel that is less significant than many think) There are tons of reasons...There are also tons of programs out there and not all of them give you the best training.

I was deciding between DO Anesthesia or Emergency Medicine...

I doubted EM because of malpractice issues. I didn't know Anes. had that many cons though... I might reconsider EM now.

I was deciding between DO Anesthesia or Emergency Medicine...

I doubted EM because of malpractice issues. I didn't know Anes. had that many cons though... I might reconsider EM now.

PLEASE don't let my comments sway you at all. 1. It's second hand knowledge that I mostly picked up in conversations 2. I haven't started med school yet (ie a lot more people know a lot more than I do) and 3. You should go into what you like doing. I should have thrown up a disclaimer when I first made those comments. I think gas is still a great field and a lot of people really like it. If I were you, I'd go into med school with an open mind, investigate the pros/cons and your interest in all these fields (and others) and make your decision then. Good luck:thumbup:

and lest ye not forget- you still have yet to experience the whole gambit of exposure they call "rotations." a lot of folks (like profs and docs) say to go in with an open mind and wait till you get some more clinical exposure... you may find something you love that's totally different than what you thought.

Why has anesthesia's competition/desire been falling? I understand with G-surg its the hours, training necessary, etc. but why has anesthesia started a descent in competition?

Their compensation is expected to take a large hit once healthcare reform goes through. Not the biggest reason but it will factor in.

It all depends on the effort you place during school and your scores on either USMLE or COMLEX. I've met several DO residents in EM and EM/IM at the EDs in the NY-Presbyterian hospitals, so there doesn't appear to be a bias against. Its simply a matter of your credentials and that there are fewer DO's to begin with, but it seems the proportion works out right.

I'd LOVE to do Anesthesiology, after shadowing an MD Anesthesiologist it's just something I can totally see myself doing. Good to hear that I'd still have a shot as a DO :3.