DO interested in radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microredhawk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm becoming more set on going into radiology however, I don't know where I really stand in terms of competitiveness so far (Just started my 3rd year). I know I won't get any top programs but I'm curious if I'd be competitive for some midwest university programs?

USMLE step 1 = 227
COMLEX level 1 = 591
Undergrad and medical school research: Couple abstracts and several posters, no publications yet

Ultimately I want to end up in Ohio or somewhere else in the midwest.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so -

your Usmle step 1 is a little below what the national average for american MD graduates is these days, and is about 13 points below the average for radiology. You may have a shot at some community programs in the midwest - My advice would be to look at community programs with very high volume / level 1 trauma centers affiliated with larger hospital networks. They may lack a bit on the research side of things but tend to give you solid training and fellowship options , so from a clinical perspective you will have similar training as a university center.

I'd avoid the tiny, community hospital chill radiology residency - you'll find those scattered across michigan , ohio, pennsylvania, and they tend to be more DO friendly. Problem tends to be low volume and complexity of what you see and in turn your training is a bit weaker.

If you were an MD i'd say you'd have a shot at some of the less prestigious university programs, but based on our incoming PGY-2's for next year, the competitiveness dip that we saw for a year or two isn't really around anymore. If you're die hard about it, you can always see what university programs have taken DO's in years past and rotate there.

Good luck!

I know DO's with your scores who have matched into decent programs within the midwest. You'll do fine assuming you are personable.

Look for where DO classmates have matched in the past, those programs will be more friendly to your situation.

Reactions: 1 user