Do letters of rec from MDs count as science letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBruins123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PI is an MD/PhD and I was wondering if a letter of rec from her counts as a science letter of rec? What if I got an additional letter of rec from a different MD? Would that still count, or would I have to get one from an actual science professor?

Members don't see this ad.

My PI is an MD/PhD and I was wondering if a letter of rec from her counts as a science letter of rec? What if I got an additional letter of rec from a different MD? Would that still count, or would I have to get one from an actual science professor?

It may vary, but of the schools I applied to most were specific about wanting a science PROFESSOR WHO TAUGHT YOU FOR A GRADE

You are a science major and you can't obtain two letters of recommendation from people who have taught your classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 2 MDs that know me very well because I've worked with them extensively, so I'm just wondering. And for the record, I am NOT a science major

There are 2 MDs that know me very well because I've worked with them extensively, so I'm just wondering. And for the record, I am NOT a science major

Science letter = letter from science faculty at your institution. Some schools allow this to be your research mentor/PI (who may very well be an MD), but the bare minimum is that the person is employed in a science department of the school. Most often, they want the science letter to be from a professor who taught you.

Include at least one of their letters, but also obtain 2 letters from science professors who taught you for a grade if you need them. Check with each school you are applying to.

science letter = letter from science faculty at your institution. Some schools allow this to be your research mentor/pi (who may very well be an md), but the bare minimum is that the person is employed in a science department of the school. Most often, they want the science letter to be from a professor who taught you.
+1

I also wasn't a science major and all my pre-reqs were classes of 250-500 students, I never went to office hours either, but I still got 2 letters from science professors. I just emailed them saying I knew they wouldn't be personal letters but I need to fulfill the requirement and asked if they would be willing to meet to discuss the possibility of writing me a letter. That way you actually get face time before they write the letter. Then just submit extra letters from profs/people who actually know you and your work (PI's, major profs, MD etc)

I also wasn't a science major and all my pre-reqs were classes of 250-500 students, I never went to office hours either, but I still got 2 letters from science professors. I just emailed them saying I knew they wouldn't be personal letters but I need to fulfill the requirement and asked if they would be willing to meet to discuss the possibility of writing me a letter. That way you actually get face time before they write the letter. Then just submit extra letters from profs/people who actually know you and your work (PI's, major profs, MD etc)

Interesting. I've never heard of someone doing that before! But the question is....did you get into medical school?

My other letters were from people who knew me really well, I had taken classes from them and worked in their research labs for multiple years. I also got a letter from my employer (research position I had for 5 years - I'm a nontrad). So even tho I had crappy science letters I still had strong ones to make up for it. Some schools let you submit a letter from a prof in your major if you are not a science major in place of one of the science letters.

I didn't really have a choice, I guess I could have made up reasons to go to office hours to actually meet the profs, but I highly doubt that they would even remember me. One of my science letter writers swore she remembered me but there is no way, I had literally never spoke to her while I took her class, so who knows, I think she was just being nice.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if you chose art history now, it doesn't change the fact that you used to be a science major and consequently took several science classes.