• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

DO LoR from PGY2

sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am able to get a letter of rec from a resident in general surgery that is a D.O.. I can't find anyone else to shadow so is this okay? Or would schools not count this as a D.O. LoR?
It really should be an attending.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the Ads

FrkyBgStok

15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I don't think that it "isn't allowed" but a resident (especially a PGY-2) hasn't led residents and medical students. Residencies are set up differently but they are all pretty much based on progressive autonomy and leadership. So I know a 3rd year of any specialty has led more residents and medical students, and seen more, than a first year. And an attending has made it through residency where they were in their final year responsible for many patients and residents as well as developing the sense of autonomy and awareness to help guide others in the correct way.

PGY2s don't know squat in the grand scheme of things and that is why residencies are at least 3 years. A PGY2 in surgery is basically a beginner. With the exception of a chief resident, I would personally blow off a LOR from a resident.

Upvote 0

GenSurg2019

Aug 9, 2019
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I don't think a PGY2 letter is going to be much help. Beside if you are shadowing a surgery resident, how are you not interacting with the surgery faculty enough to ask them for a letter? As a general surgery resident my students and I are always with faculty in clinic and OR. Usually if you worked really closely with a particular resident they can give some specific input to the faculty. Also my chiefs dont write letters either, they usually just give input to the faculty.

Now if you mean that this particular resident is the only DO in the program, well IDK what the point of the letter would be. I am not a DO but when I did apply to DO schools, my understanding was that a DO letter was supposed to show that you have experienced some osteopathic principles. If this is a DO TRAINEE in an ACGME program in a field is historically anti-DO, I agree with FrkyBgStok (I would blow off the LOR).

Upvote 0

sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm not able to shadow any other D.O., due to this pandemic its been very difficult. Is a LoR from a resident even allowed?
I applied with an MD letter only. A handful of DO schools specify it had to be DO. If you have low stats this is more important to get. I understand it’s been difficult, and maybe DO schools will be more lenient about that? Though I don’t know for sure, but a lot of other concessions being made due to the pandemic.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.