Do MBA grades matter for residency applications? (MD/MBA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decimus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current 3rd year MD/MBA student in a 5-year program, considering applying to surgical residencies:

Curious if program directors look specifically at MBA grades when evaluating applicants (A vs. B+)? Or is the degree all that matters? I ask because I’m trying to balance studying for MBA classes and studying of USMLE. Obviously USMLE is my priority, but how good/bad would a bunch of A-‘s look on a transcript? Hoping any admissions committee or program directors are willing to share their experiences!

I have also looked into the NRMP Program Director Survey (picture attached), but it does not provide clear answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• NRMP Survey.PNG
    NRMP Survey.PNG
    239 KB · Views: 91
Neither a program director nor an admissions committee here, but USMLE is by far the priority when it comes to matching. No one cares about other degrees or grades in other degrees. Do as well as you can in your USMLE. So if you have to take time off MBA or study less for MBA I'd recommend it. I have an MPH, it's useless for the most part and I did pretty well in it. Don't compromise USMLE studying for other stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
No, it doesn’t make any difference like an MPH (unless you are doing a research tract and utilizing it... but those are more for MD/PhDs). Might help with hiring down the line, but doubtful there again. It’s best for those wanting to climb the ladder mid-to-late career into hospital administration.

Residency is about work and learning a specialty, not so much about running a business externally.