MBA Grades for Residency Application (Dual-Degree Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aloha,

MD/MBA student here, finishing my MBA in Spring and then returning to my MD program for 4th year and ERAS cycle. Grades in business school have been OK, my Fall semester grades are as follows:

Business Policy and Strategy: A
High-Performance Leadership: A
Health Sector Management: A
Public Corporations: A
Managing Through People: A-
Legal Aspects of Healthcare Administration: A-
Managerial Economics: B+
Financial Reporting & Analysis: B
Managerial Accounting: B-
Statistics: B

So, solidly a mix of A's and B's, and clearly I'm not a numbers person. The question is, will a decidedly average MBA performance (~3.5) be a negative in my application? I recognize the MBA is not a necessary thing to have and most people won't have one in the app cycle, but short of a stellar performance would it seem as if it was wasted time if I'm not excelling in the program?

Thanks and have a good night :)

Members don't see this ad.

Aloha,

MD/MBA student here, finishing my MBA in Spring and then returning to my MD program for 4th year and ERAS cycle. Grades in business school have been OK, my Fall semester grades are as follows:

Business Policy and Strategy: A
High-Performance Leadership: A
Health Sector Management: A
Public Corporations: A
Managing Through People: A-
Legal Aspects of Healthcare Administration: A-
Managerial Economics: B+
Financial Reporting & Analysis: B
Managerial Accounting: B-
Statistics: B

So, solidly a mix of A's and B's, and clearly I'm not a numbers person. The question is, will a decidedly average MBA performance (~3.5) be a negative in my application? I recognize the MBA is not a necessary thing to have and most people won't have one in the app cycle, but short of a stellar performance would it seem as if it was wasted time if I'm not excelling in the program?

Thanks and have a good night :)

I doubt anyone will care.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt anyone will care.
This. I have a master’s as well and no one has ever cared to ask for my grades. It has been a beneficial and good talking point in interviews for residency and had come in quite handy when discussing medical directorship positions as well. I would just know a good answer answer when discussing why you got it and what you are planning to do with it.