do mcat scores go up each year?

Started by KatieJune
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KatieJune

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HI

I took the mcat in 2002 and got a 29. Do you think (assuming my knowledge base is exactly the same) I'd get a different score? It just seems the avgs for schools go up every year, so I'm wondering if there's an upward trend in the mcat... thanks!
 
n, they dont go up - standardized results. if there is a trend, its that the mcat gets progressively harder each year.
 
MCAT is based on a curve. If avg MCAT scores of med schools go up, it is just a reflection that the pool of applicants are increasing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
actually MCAT scores do go up...

Two years ago I got an 8,8,n,8. Since I waited two years to apply, those scores are now 10,10,p,10
 
Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
actually MCAT scores do go up...

Two years ago I got an 8,8,n,8. Since I waited two years to apply, those scores are now 10,10,p,10



???????????
 
Some individual's scores go up, myself included, but I think that the average score stays fairly constant from one administration to the next. I think that MCAT scores have gone up a little in recent years, but it's just a reflection of a better applicant pool.