DO, MD, Caribbean MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't consider going Caribbean, from the horror stories I've heard. It just is not worth it.

I've considered what to do if I don't get into a D.O. school, and Caribbean is not an option.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best way to put the caribbean question is "how much risk are you willing to take" and "would you be okay without a competitive specialty". They're definitely not all doing FM in Topeka. But many of them fail out with debt because of the odds game being against them. And for almost all of them the "competitive" fields are off the table.

There are people it's right for. I'd just argue that those people would be better served by DO programs.

I think you missed the private practice caveat...

Not everyone wants to work in a hospital or an in-patient setting when they could open a private group practice, make bank, and command their schedule. Not to mention a private practice is significantly more calm and conducive to a healthy sleep schedule...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not everyone wants to work in a hospital or an in-patient setting when they could open a private group practice, make bank, and command their schedule. Not to mention a private practice is significantly more calm and conducive to a healthy sleep schedule...

very hard to set up a private practice straight out of residency. you need start up money to eventually make bank. most people go into hospitalist or partner in PPs and eventually hold equity in them

This is all true. Not sure why you quoted my post, but yep.

Our conversation was about AOA vs AGCME and being hired in PP. I was saying PP doesn't care where you were trained...

In any case, I'm headed for group PP as soon as I am able

Our conversation was about AOA vs AGCME and being hired in PP. I was saying PP doesn't care where you were trained...

+1 :thumbup:

what doctor doesn't want to suffer from "shift work disorder" ?!?

:rolleyes:

Again, some PP groups do in fact care where you train. In desirable cities and with desirable groups there is pretty stiff competition amongst applicants. Your pedigree will be on your CV forever.

Again, some PP groups do in fact care where you train. In desirable cities and with desirable groups there is pretty stiff competition amongst applicants. Your pedigree will be on your CV forever.

Desirable is a relative term ;)

I see your point and you may be right in saturated markets. But, being one area of medicine that I am pretty familiar in due to family and friends in various different places, cities and groups who are in charge of hiring surgeons (ortho, neuro and cardio), they all say that a trained physician is a trained physician.

Things they list as reasons why a doc gets hired are: Timing, Personality(fits in with current group**), Perceived professionalism(represents group well), and if what they expect to make is in the budget.

This is private practice here...they don't care about prestige as much as they care about whether you are a tool. And the hiring is done in great part by a CEO with a business degree, not a medical degree.