DO/MD chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felixthekat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here goes...I really didn't decide until recently (6 months ago) that I wanted to apply to medical school so I can use all the help I can get.

I am a non-traditional applicant. According to my AACOMAS application my cGPA is 3.32 and sGPA is 3.7. (I don't have AMCAS GPA yet, but suspect it would be a little bit lower) I have an associates degree in health science and a bachelor's in Spanish and Business. I have completed all of my pre-reqs and a few other upper level biology classes in genetics and microbiology. My MCAT score is 36R VR 14 BS 12 PS 10.

I did one year of research through the nursing department on clinical simulation in medical education. I've also ran clinical simulations for nursing and pre-med students.

I have 6 years clinical experience as a pediatric respiratory therapist (worked full-time while completing pre-reqs). I have 6 months physician shadowing experience (about 4 hours a week) in several different areas.

Other volunteer experience includes Habitat for Humanity, international volunteer experience building adobe stoves in the Andes, ecological research in Ecuador, teaching English as a Second language, and teaching photography.
Other activities include collegiate fencing, private pilot's license, and photography.

I qualified for the AMCAS fee waiver, but not AACOMAS fee waiver so I am trying to determine which MD schools to apply to in addition to DO schools. There are 2 MD schools and 1 DO school in my home state. Any suggestions on where to apply or comments on what to do next would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

-I am a non-traditional applicant.
-According to my AACOMAS application my cGPA is 3.32 and sGPA is 3.7.
-(I don't have AMCAS GPA yet, but suspect it would be a little bit lower)
-MCAT score is 36R VR 14 BS 12 PS 10.

-I did one year of research
-I have 6 years clinical experience as a pediatric respiratory therapist (worked full-time while completing pre-reqs).
-I have 6 months physician shadowing experience (about 4 hours a week) in several different areas.

-Other volunteer experience includes Habitat for Humanity, international volunteer experience building adobe stoves in the Andes, ecological research in Ecuador, teaching English as a Second language, and teaching photography.
-Other activities include collegiate fencing, private pilot's license, and photography.

I am trying to determine which MD schools to apply to in addition to DO schools. There are 2 MD schools and 1 DO school in my home state. Any suggestions on where to apply or comments on what to do next would be appreciated.
For DO, you can apply wherever you wish and you'd probably get consideration.

For MD, with a ~3.3/36 (you said it was a bit lower) you might consider schools with a decent OOS matriculation rate, where your ECs fit their mission, like
Loma Linda, Loyola, RFU, UKentucky, Creighton, Albany, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra (new), Jefferson, MCW,
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, UNebraska, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (newer), Arizona,
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, UNevada (from region and [W]WAMI), NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS, Florida Atlantic University (new),
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),
Commonwealth MC in Pa

Thanks Cat...some of those would not even have been on my radar, but since I get to apply to 14 free of charge, I figure it is worth a shot. There's not much I can do about improving my GPA for AMCAS--with over 300 credit hours, it pretty much is what it is.

So here goes...I really didn't decide until recently (6 months ago) that I wanted to apply to medical school so I can use all the help I can get.

I am a non-traditional applicant. According to my AACOMAS application my cGPA is 3.32 and sGPA is 3.7. (I don't have AMCAS GPA yet, but suspect it would be a little bit lower) I have an associates degree in health science and a bachelor's in Spanish and Business. I have completed all of my pre-reqs and a few other upper level biology classes in genetics and microbiology. My MCAT score is 36R VR 14 BS 12 PS 10.

I did one year of research through the nursing department on clinical simulation in medical education. I've also ran clinical simulations for nursing and pre-med students.

I have 6 years clinical experience as a pediatric respiratory therapist (worked full-time while completing pre-reqs). I have 6 months physician shadowing experience (about 4 hours a week) in several different areas.

Other volunteer experience includes Habitat for Humanity, international volunteer experience building adobe stoves in the Andes, ecological research in Ecuador, teaching English as a Second language, and teaching photography.
Other activities include collegiate fencing, private pilot's license, and photography.

I qualified for the AMCAS fee waiver, but not AACOMAS fee waiver so I am trying to determine which MD schools to apply to in addition to DO schools. There are 2 MD schools and 1 DO school in my home state. Any suggestions on where to apply or comments on what to do next would be appreciated.
You are a shoe in for DO...cGPA is low for MD, but since you are a non trad stud with great clinical experience, your a chance at MD is excellent. Terrific MCAT and sGPA would compensate for your cGPA. Overall, I think you will definitely get into a MD school, though apply to some DO as a back up.