DO & MD: How Do They Differ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just look at the difference in content on the Pre DO vs Pre MD forum. The threads on this side seem way more civilized and mature for the most part....while over there they are making posts like ..... "omg I got one single B in a class I am going to cry, ....I am letting down everyone I know and even my professors." :rolleyes: yeahok My entire undergrad career was filled with Bs and Cs and even lower....keep it movin

I think it's pretty normal for people to worry about their grades. I was freaked out when I knew I was going to get a B- for one of my classes. Maybe you were right about the maturity level part. I'm not an experienced applicant and I don't know if a B- is going to destroy or maybe reduce my chances to get into medical school or not..Of course people want their GPAs as high as possible..:)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's pretty normal for people to worry about their grades. I was freaked out when I knew I was going to get a B- for one of my classes. Maybe you were right about the maturity level part. I'm not an experienced applicant and I don't know if a B- is going to destroy or maybe reduce my chances to get into medical school or not..Of course people want their GPAs as high as possible..:)

I've met really cool non-crazy MD only applicants and cut throat, insane DO applicants ... stereotypes rarely encompass.

MD schools traditionally emphasize more research than DO schools, that has been the most common distinction, in fact, at several schools I interviewed at, this was told to me my the academic staff. DOs are more focused on patient care, and the education is very patient focused. If you are interested in a research career, going to a large Allopathic medical school affiliated with a big university(Stanford, UCLA, etc) will probably be more appropriate. Then again you need amazing academic credentials to even get an interview at those schools. However, in terms of clinical practice, DOs and MDs are essentially the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
The main differences are that DO's can't perform surgery, get hospital priviliges or write prescriptions.

They mainly cure people with South American herbs and eye of newt.

When DO's see a patient they then have to find an MD and have him sign off on what the DO decided to do. They don't have complete control, there kind of a step above NP's but there still a step below MD's. As far as surgery, there the ones wiping the sweat off of the surgeons forhead, hey don't get to do any of the "for realzies" stuff.

I heard DOs are actually just glorified residents?

lol, no wonder all the premeds are confused. Wait till the c/o 2015 applicants start reading these threads.

"DO's can't operate?" "Are DO's really glorified residents?"

Now I understand why the entire pre-osteo forum is full of *Depressed about the whole DO thing* *Give me proof DO's are successful* *DO reputation?*

Hell, they might even start adding another greater than sign in MD>DO next year.

All joking aside, I found these sarcastic comments very humorous :)

** Note: They are a complete sarcastic joke though.

lol, no wonder all the premeds are confused. Wait till the c/o 2015 applicants start reading these threads.

"DO's can't operate?" "Are DO's really glorified residents?"

Now I understand why the entire pre-osteo forum is full of *Depressed about the whole DO thing* *Give me proof DO's are successful* *DO reputation?*

Hell, they might even start adding another greater than sign in MD>DO next year.

All joking aside, I found these sarcastic comments very humorous :)

Premeds don't need advice. They already know everything because their daddy's a doctor and told them... <insert something stupid here>

What ever makes them feel better. You have to be delicate with the mentally challenged after all... :D

FYI Western's CO2013 stats (as delivered verbally by the dean during orientation week): MCAT 28, Overall 3.6, Science 3.5

The main differences are that DO's can't perform surgery, get hospital priviliges or write prescriptions.

They mainly cure people with South American herbs and eye of newt.

When DO's see a patient they then have to find an MD and have him sign off on what the DO decided to do. They don't have complete control, there kind of a step above NP's but there still a step below MD's. As far as surgery, there the ones wiping the sweat off of the surgeons forhead, hey don't get to do any of the "for realzies" stuff.

Thanks for the laugh! I needed it!!

I thought being a DO was just like shadowing real doctors and nurses and stuff...

To the OP. yes DO's can do surgery...

(I don't think his/her original question was answered)

So I was wondering given the hypothetical scenario that both a DO and MD apply for a job and have the EXACT same qualifications, which one would be hired? I know that they are both capable however, I was thinking that since an MD is the more well known publicly that the MD would be preferred. I know that only a few people actually go to the trouble and look for specific doctors based on where they went to school but given the above situation, I wonder if a hospital would prefer the MD. Any thoughts?

::Just bored at work::

So I was wondering given the hypothetical scenario that both a DO and MD apply for a job and have the EXACT same qualifications, which one would be hired? I know that they are both capable however, I was thinking that since an MD is the more well known publicly that the MD would be preferred. I know that only a few people actually go to the trouble and look for specific doctors based on where they went to school but given the above situation, I wonder if a hospital would prefer the MD. Any thoughts?

Find me two people with the EXACT qualifications .... then I will answer this question.

....People are going to look at how nice of a person you are rather than where you did your training... So, I'm just guessing here, but I think the hospital would go with the more personable/likable person of the two...

As for what's the difference.... 100 years ago DOs had a more holistic approach to their medical education and patient care. Today, it has "merged" with allopathic medicine and is the same thing as an MD.

1st and 2nd year- you go to OMT lab once a week for 2 hours and will have a few OMT questions thrown onto your exams...

3rd and 4th year- you rotate with both DO and MD students so nothing is different...I've worked with students side by side from NYU, Einstein, Downstate, Satler and some caribbean schools...some DO schools will have a required 4 week OMT rotation...NYCOM does not...

Residency- You can do any MD or DO residency you want so there is no difference there...if you choose you can specialize in neuromusculoskelatal medicine (which is OMT and will make you a true Osteopath)...this is something MDs cannot do...some DO residencies (mostly FP) will have an OMT aspect to them...

Attendings- No difference what so ever...you can work anywhere you want in any specialty and the salary and benefits are exactly the same since you are hired as a licensed physician...

Boards- DOs are required to take and pass the COMLEX where MDs are required to take and pass the USMLE. DOs have the option to take both if they so choose where MDs can only take the USMLE...

...That's about it...

1st and 2nd year- you go to OMT lab once a week for 2 hours and will have a few OMT questions thrown onto your exams...

3rd and 4th year- you rotate with both DO and MD students so nothing is different...I've worked with students side by side from NYU, Einstein, Downstate, Satler and some caribbean schools...some DO schools will have a required 4 week OMT rotation...NYCOM does not...

Residency- You can do any MD or DO residency you want so there is no difference there...if you choose you can specialize in neuromusculoskelatal medicine (which is OMT and will make you a true Osteopath)...this is something MDs cannot do...some DO residencies (mostly FP) will have an OMT aspect to them...

Attendings- No difference what so ever...you can work anywhere you want in any specialty and the salary and benefits are exactly the same since you are hired as a licensed physician...

Boards- DOs are required to take and pass the COMLEX where MDs are required to take and pass the USMLE. DOs have the option to take both if they so choose where MDs can only take the USMLE...

...That's about it...

Nice post. :thumbup: