DO/MD Letters of Rec from Profs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st.exupery

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering, should my professor need to write two separate letters for DO schools and for MD schools? The professors probably know, but just in case, who do they address the letter to if they are sending it to my undergrad's Reference Letter Service? Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

If he directs the letter to "Admissions" or "Admission Committee" and refers to your schools of choice as "medical school" then there is no need for 2 letters.

HunterGatherer,

Thank you for the clarification!

Members don't see this ad :)
However, some allo schools require your AMCAS ID # on the letter! In this case, you would need 2 different letters.

st.exupery said:
Hi, I was just wondering, should my professor need to write two separate letters for DO schools and for MD schools? The professors probably know, but just in case, who do they address the letter to if they are sending it to my undergrad's Reference Letter Service? Thanks all!

No, you do no not need a seperate letter. The Reference Letter Service will make the appropriate modifications.

OSUdoc08 said:
No, you do no not need a seperate letter. The Reference Letter Service will make the appropriate modifications.

I had a letter sent to DO schools that had my AMCAS# included on the top. I didnt realize it until it was too late. Im not sure how that has/will affect my applications.

DCDAWG said:
I had a letter sent to DO schools that had my AMCAS# included on the top. I didnt realize it until it was too late. Im not sure how that has/will affect my applications.

Why would it?

DCDAWG said:

It won't make any difference.

OSUdoc08 said:
Why would it?
Perhaps the osteo school would look favorably upon an applicant, who solely applied to osteo schools? I know alot of students apply to both (myself included), but perhaps at some schools they prefer people who only want to be D.O.'s? It's a possibility, right?

PlasticMan said:
Perhaps the osteo school would look favorably upon an applicant, who solely applied to osteo schools? I know alot of students apply to both (myself included), but perhaps at some schools they prefer people who only want to be D.O.'s? It's a possibility, right?

I've never heard of this.

Thanks all. I wasn't sure whether the D.O. schools had their own application ID (since the application isn't out yet!). I doubt it would really make or break you if the AAMCAS ID was on the D.O. letter.

I called my undergrad reference service and she informed that they have never had any problems with using the same letter for DO/MD. She said some schools say they require it, but the ref. service provides a cover letter and she says that has always been sufficient. She said there would be more room for complication if each prof. submitted two letters that were identical except for an ID number.

So I went ahead and requested one, hope that works. I appreciate all of your input.