Do/md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFeelgoodMD

below is a TRUE avatar...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know, I was wondering if a person could get both an MD and DO if they they wanted, even though both degrees do the same thing in saying that the recipient is a medical doctor, and I stumbled over this...

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/141.html

Why would someone want to do both? Doesn't it seem sort of redundant? I'd like to know what you guys think, but no pissing matches....please. :)

J

Members don't see this ad.

I think that those who attend foreign medical schools can't just take the boards. They probably have to come from some US approved medical school. That is the only reason I can think of to go through 2 programs.

Also who gets a degree in Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery?? That's not a real degree as far as I know.

UVMTrifecta said:
You know, I was wondering if a person could get both an MD and DO if they they wanted, even though both degrees do the same thing in saying that the recipient is a medical doctor, and I stumbled over this...

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/141.html

Why would someone want to do both? Doesn't it seem sort of redundant? I'd like to know what you guys think, but no pissing matches....please. :)

J

Reasons:

1. This was a physician in California when they handed out MD's to all of the DO's.

2. This was an FMG who got the DO to have an American medical degree.

3. This was a person who can't get enough of medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
Reasons:

1. This was a physician in California when they handed out MD's to all of the DO's.

2. This was an FMG who got the DO to have an American medical degree.

3. This was a person who can't get enough of medical school.

It said on the website that his degree is from Belize. Perhaps it is the school that has you take a six month course to get the M.D., but this appears to be a case of a really insecure person.

He's got a picture with Arnold!!! :eek: Lucky!!!!

Number/type of degrees don't matter... as long as you can do 321 consecutive handstand pushups and hold the record for the 50 yard handstand sprint!

Seriously? >_<

I get the feeling this guy just feels the need to brag about whatever he can on his website. :confused:

More than likely this gentleman was trained in a foreign country and earned an MD degree there. In order to gain practice rights in the US he needed to complete medical training at an accredited US school. Some schools will accept a number of foreign trained physicians into their classes. I know NYCOM does this, but I cant comment about other schools. Upon graduation you are awarded the degree the school confers but naturally still retain all degrees earned from other schools. So he is MD, DO

Hi guys. I am applying to a few osteopathic schools but I have not shadowed a DO. I know some schools require a rec from a DO, is it bad that I do not have a rec from one? The thing is, I know what osteopathic medicine is about. generally speaking, I know the dynamics of medicine since many of my family members are doctors (allopathic)... What do you think ?

rutennis said:
Hi guys. I am applying to a few osteopathic schools but I have not shadowed a DO. I know some schools require a rec from a DO, is it bad that I do not have a rec from one? The thing is, I know what osteopathic medicine is about. generally speaking, I know the dynamics of medicine since many of my family members are doctors (allopathic)... What do you think ?

uh... I answered you in another thread. How many threads did you post this question in, anyway?

Back to the topic at hand... I read about a guy who got his D.O. in the 1950s, then went back and got an M.D. I suppose in those days an M.D. was a more useful degree to have but even so it sounds like a lot of schooling. Maybe it's easier the second time around? :confused: I have also heard of M.D.s studying osteopathic manipulation and they then can add the initials OMM after their name. In fact, an increasing number of allopathic folks are interested in learning OMT--cool, that.

well... i thought i would get more opinions ... haha.. i just posted it on this one and the other thread that you answered...

This has happened in the past--as I am sure you have been informed of by now.

There is NO point in this day and age to have both degrees. That is like being a CNA (Nurse Anesthesist), and an AA (Anesthesiology Assistant) at the same time. They are both billed exactly the same--and according to all intelligent beings do the same job equally well.

kaikai128 said:
This has happened in the past--as I am sure you have been informed of by now. There is NO point in this day and age to have both degrees.

John Stamos, MD, DO, Ph.D.

You can call me Dr.Dr.Dr.John Stamos