Do MD's screen for secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkani2020

Reaction score
I received seconadary invite from Reno(by invite only,???? does that mean they send invite to all applicants?
I also got request from florida state(screened), louisville, louisianna. Per MSAR these schools either screen for secondary or selected applicants are sent secondaries.. What is the difference between screened vs selected? i.e. Louisiville. Even in the email they sent :
"Your application has completed the preliminary screening process and you have been approved to complete the University of Louisville School of Medicine (ULSOM) secondary application."
I've heard that all schools ask for seconadries from all for the money but MSAR secondary section says the above. Input?

Members don't see this ad.

I received seconadary invite from Reno(by invite only,???? does that mean they send invite to all applicants?
I also got request from florida state(screened), louisville, louisianna. Per MSAR these schools either screen for secondary or selected applicants are sent secondaries.. What is the difference between screened vs selected? i.e. Louisiville. Even in the email they sent :
"Your application has completed the preliminary screening process and you have been approved to complete the University of Louisville School of Medicine (ULSOM) secondary application."
I've heard that all schools ask for seconadries from all for the money but MSAR secondary section says the above. Input?
What's the difference? You got them; that's all that matters. Yes, many schools love the money the secondaries generate. Some don't screen at all and send to absolutely everyone, some screen using a very low bar (3.0 GPA/500 MCAT) that has no relationship to the likelihood to ever receive an II from the school, and others screen hard and don't send secondaries to a significant number of people. If it's invite only, screened, selected, whatever, that means everyone doesn't get them, but it doesn't mean you are good to go, because it might mean ALMOST everyone gets them.

None of this matters. You applied, and now you have been invited to advance to the next stage in their process. Only you know, based on MSAR and your application, whether you are actually competitive or are throwing away money by submitting the secondaries. But you should have done this research before submitting the primaries because now, receiving secondaries is presumably the outcome you were waiting for (and expecting), and not the time to first try to figure out if you should have applied in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user
Some do.

But in reality, Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

If you're not a KY resident, or a resident or the neighboring states, and have stats less than their median for OOSers, then UL is trying to tax you.

Reactions: 1 users