Do med schools just throw out applications from people who "decline to respond" for ethnicity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExtremeProton

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking through the MSAR - in the matriculant's demographics section - and I can't find any schools that admitted people who put "decline to state" for the ethnicity form.

I'm just wondering because I'm mixed and have always struggled with my identity in a country where I am constantly being forced to define myself in terms of what my race is. I know you can put multiple check marks, but my experiences as a multiracial individual have led me to think a lot about the concept of race and I've come to the conclusion that I personally don't really believe in the concept of race.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about your original question, but that sure sounds like a great personal statement theme! You should write about it. I'd love to read that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My advisor at my undergrad school is on the graduate business school admissions committee and he told me he automatically throws away any applications that are marked "decline to state" for stuff life that. He told me it was because since he receives so many applications, he would rather pick the people who were straightforward about all of their answers, even if you are given the option to "decline to state". Now, hes not on a med school admissions committee...but I would be careful marking that answer that way.

My advisor at my undergrad school is on the graduate business school admissions committee and he told me he automatically throws away any applications that are marked "decline to state" for stuff life that. He told me it was because since he receives so many applications, he would rather pick the people who were straightforward about all of their answers, even if you are given the option to "decline to state". Now, hes not on a med school admissions committee...but I would be careful marking that answer that way.
See - that's what I'm worried about!

Then can you comment on the MSAR data? I'm curious about this as well.

Huh, you're right. I had to check the MSAR myself, and I did not see one single "declined to respond" for this question among matriculants.

This surprises me, given the many valid reasons for not answering this question, such as OP's.

Last edited:
I've been looking through the MSAR - in the matriculant's demographics section - and I can't find any schools that admitted people who put "decline to state" for the ethnicity form.

I'm just wondering because I'm mixed and have always struggled with my identity in a country where I am constantly being forced to define myself in terms of what my race is. I know you can put multiple check marks, but my experiences as a multiracial individual have led me to think a lot about the concept of race and I've come to the conclusion that I personally don't really believe in the concept of race.
I understand your predicament, but I would think based on all the race related threads on this forum that if a candidate declined to state their race, then the school/adcom would assume they are white or ORM (i.e. Asian).

i had the same issue as OP... hate concept of race cause it is just a lie. & every time i check a box it just reminds me of all the stupid people who thought i was adopted when i was with my biological mom. and i'll never be a true asian/korean or a true white/american because of the bs these stupid check box perpetuate.

but guess what, i checked my boxes because i've always felt that i'm damned if i do & damned if i don't. so there you go.

Reactions: 1 users

I declined to respond -- 5 II's one acceptance, no issues or comments.

Reactions: 4 users
I have hopes this thread will end on a high note but...lol

mixed people can do 3 things. you can check both boxes, one box, or none. you are right, race is a social construct & constantly changing. unfortunatly we live in society. I am mixed as well but only identify as one category. some people ask me questions since my phenotype doesn't match what I am. that doesn't bother me since I know what I am & I'm not here to make other people happy.

as for ethnicity that is a self defined category & only you can say what you are. it doesn't matter if people agree with you or not. what language did you speak growing up? what food did you eat? what religion are you? remember that race & ethnicity are not the same thing & are not interchangeable terms

Nope. I see "No designation" tons of times on app forms.

My friend and I both declined to respond, I got 9II, and was eventually accepted to a top 25 with a merit scholly, and he got into 4 of the top 5 schools after attending 14 interviews.

It truly doesn't matter, trust me.

Reactions: 1 users
My friend and I both declined to respond, I got 9II, and was eventually accepted to a top 25 with a merit scholly, and he got into 4 of the top 5 schools after attending 14 interviews.

It truly doesn't matter, trust me.

Pardon my cynicism, but it seems that if one's name is a URM-ORM ethnic giveaway (i.e. Rodriguez/Li vs. Jackson/Cooper) then adcoms will still be able to decipher one's race regardless of one answering the race question or not...

Pardon my cynicism, but it seems that if one's name is a URM-ORM ethnic giveaway (i.e. Rodriguez/Li vs. Jackson/Cooper) then adcoms will still be able to decipher one's race regardless of one answering the race question or not...
What if they married into the name? Keep in mind two things: secondaries usually ask to provide a picture, and you can only get accepted after you've interviewed and they've seen you. There's many pieces to this puzzle, but self identification is just easiest.

I guess I just don't understand the problem. Why not just check the boxes and move on? Whether you choose to check one box, 2, or 5, it doesn't change who you are. It's just a box.

My name is a giveaway, my activities were as well, I just wasn't comfortable checking the box.