Do medical schools accept C- in pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CloverBale

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd rather not have to retake the o-chem class, I don't have the money or time for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Check with the specific medical school. Just look on their website. But most schools require C or higher.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
Uh, no. Most medical schools explicitly require C or better. Refer to the following as examples:

http://prehealth.duke.edu/faqs/grades
http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html
http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/education_Requirements.html

This topic has also been discussed on SDN before. While there have been exceptions, the general consensus is to retake.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/retaking-c-minus-course.508623/
I misread the question. I thought the person was asking if a C was sufficient.

Reactions: 1 users
Uh, no. Most medical schools explicitly require C or better. Refer to the following as examples:

http://prehealth.duke.edu/faqs/grades
http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html
http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/education_Requirements.html

This topic has also been discussed on SDN before. While there have been exceptions, the general consensus is to retake.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/retaking-c-minus-course.508623/
Ugh......that sucks so badly

Ugh......that sucks so badly

I'm sorry :( Not all schools have the C or better requirement - just most. So you should ask around but you don't want to start off by shooting yourself in the foot and exclude yourself from schools because of a technical issue.

I'd rather not have to retake the o-chem class, I don't have the money or time for it.

Retake. Definitely retake. Even if your specific target school(s) don't have an explicit requirement of a C or higher, the grade alone may seriously injure your chances.

Also, even if you were accepted with a C-, if it's Organic I, you may find some portions of the medical school curriculum unnecessarily difficult if you're tackling them with a C- level understanding of basic organic chemistry. If it was Organic II, then that may be different.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sorry :( Not all schools have the C or better requirement - just most. So you should ask around but you don't want to start off by shooting yourself in the foot and exclude yourself from schools because of a technical issue.
Yeah but like, when you start entering in your grades for applications, they sort of weight it all out right? It's not my fault my school does the +/- scheme.

Retake. Definitely retake. Even if your specific target school(s) don't have an explicit requirement of a C or higher, the grade alone may seriously injure your chances.

Also, even if you were accepted with a C-, if it's Organic I, you may find some portions of the medical school curriculum unnecessarily difficult if you're tackling them with a C- level understanding of basic organic chemistry. If it was Organic II, then that may be different.

It was Organic II, and I have so many units it wouldn't really change my GPA all that much.

Yeah but like, when you start entering in your grades for applications, they sort of weight it all out right? It's not my fault my school does the +/- scheme.

What do you mean "weight it all out"? Med schools require specific grades for specific pre-reqs. It's not a "C- average in all your pre-reqs combined." Most schools do the +/- scheme. A few don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean "weight it all out"? Med schools require specific grades for specific pre-reqs. It's not a "C- average in all your pre-reqs combined." Most schools do the +/- scheme. A few don't.
Never mind just checked C- is 1.7

I wonder why Duke has a policy of no C- retakes, only D or F?

Anyways OP, if your school transcript does not use +/-, your grade will appear as a C in AMCAS and meet the school requirements.

Go for the retake if it does show up with the - on your school transcript
It's just ridiculously difficult for me to do so. I already graduated from my UG, and the CC's around me are always 100% filled up (I live in California). I'm trying to apply next cycle and I'd have to retake the class while I'm applying.

Yes. Since you're applying MD, the following from the AAMC might be useful to you regarding grade conversion for AMCAS:

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

While, as you said, everything is ultimately weighted out as cGPA and BCPM in your AMCAS, there may still be school-specific requirements of a straight C or higher in all or some prerequisites.

Were I in your shoes and ultimately found myself absolutely unable to retake the course, I'd just tailor my application to schools which don't mandate a C or higher in Organic II. Some schools (including the MD school to which I was accepted) no longer require Organic II as a mandatory prerequisite, and allow one to apply with only Organic I so long as one has taken another 4 hour upper-level chemistry course in its place.

Yes. Since you're applying MD, the following from the AAMC might be useful to you regarding grade conversion for AMCAS:

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

While, as you said, everything is ultimately weighted out as cGPA and BCPM in your AMCAS, there may still be school-specific requirements of a straight C or higher in all or some prerequisites.

Were I in your shoes and ultimately found myself absolutely unable to retake the course, I'd just tailor my application to schools which don't mandate a C or higher in Organic II. Some schools (including the MD school to which I was accepted) no longer require Organic II as a mandatory prerequisite, and allow one to apply with only Organic I so long as one has taken another 4 hour upper-level chemistry course in its place.

Thank you! This totally sucks haha.

It's just ridiculously difficult for me to do so. I already graduated from my UG, and the CC's around me are always 100% filled up (I live in California). I'm trying to apply next cycle and I'd have to retake the class while I'm applying.

If you do apply without retaking (or while retaking), I would recommend that you be sure to very clearly outline/defend the portion of your secondary which allows for one to write about any "academic difficulties" or "unusual factors" in one's application (most secondaries have a prompt along this line).

They accept it as fulfilling a requirement,but it's not competative...

although a lot of people probably have a C in o-chem. do well on the MCAT

If you do apply without retaking (or while retaking), I would recommend that you be sure to very clearly outline/defend the portion of your secondary which allows for one to write about any "academic difficulties" or "unusual factors" in one's application (most secondaries have a prompt along this line).

Yeah I definitely will! It was a struggle :) And thank you.

How do you know?
how do I know they accept it? I guess it depends on the school but every school I've seen usually says something like "a grade below a C- is not considered as fulfilling our requirements," meaning a C- would be the lowest grade you could get

but I agree with what others are saying - formulate a school list and look them up ad hoc

how do I know they accept it? I guess it depends on the school but every school I've seen usually says something like "a grade below a C- is not considered as fulfilling our requirements," meaning a C- would be the lowest grade you could get

but I agree with what others are saying - formulate a school list and look them up ad hoc
oh gotcha thank you :)

overall GPA is 3.7-3.8, science is like 3.5-6ish , and I'm taking the MCAT Jan 28th
I would retake the class at a local 4 year just so you don't limit your schools.

I would retake the class at a local 4 year just so you don't limit your schools.
Could I get away with taking it at a CC? Just because they're not offering it at the local 4 years around me (including me own UG), and even if I could...it would be a couple of thousands which I don't have.

Could I get away with taking it at a CC? Just because they're not offering it at the local 4 years around me (including me own UG), and even if I could...it would be a couple of thousands which I don't have.

Yes. Some schools may look down on it, but those will be few and far between. As I said earlier, just explain everything concisely in your secondary.

I took ALL of my pre-reqs at a small college (Dalton State College {DSC} in Dalton, GA) with the exception of the two required Physics courses with lab, both of which I took at the institution from which I received my undergraduate degrees (the University of North Georgia {UNG} in Dahlonega, GA). I even returned to DSC as a transient student one summer semester when I was back home living with my parents to take a lecture course in Biochemistry (not a pre-requisite for my entering class, but "strongly encouraged") after I had already transferred to UNG. This fact, nor the fact that the majority of my pre-requisites were taken at a small, local school was ever brought up during my interviews.

As addressed at length in this answer that I wrote earlier today for a pre-DPT applicant, sometimes small, local schools can provide an educational experience far better that can larger R1/R2 schools, especially in a course like Organic II. My Organic II course had about a dozen people in it. It was brutal, but we all learned a great deal and it was evident from the start that our professor really cared that we did well and truly understood the material. That kind of experience is difficult to have in an Organic II class in which you are one of 300 students.

Yes. Some schools may look down on it, but those will be few and far between. As I said earlier, just explain everything concisely in your secondary.

I took ALL of my pre-reqs at a small college (Dalton State College {DSC} in Dalton, GA) with the exception of the two required Physics courses with lab, both of which I took at the institution from which I received my undergraduate degrees (the University of North Georgia {UNG} in Dahlonega, GA). I even returned to DSC as a transient student one summer semester when I was back home living with my parents to take a lecture course in Biochemistry (not a pre-requisite for my entering class, but "strongly encouraged") after I had already transferred to UNG. This fact, nor the fact that the majority of my pre-requisites were taken at a small, local school was ever brought up during my interviews.
Highly ranked schools tend to be the sticklers.

As addressed at length in this answer that I wrote earlier today for a pre-DPT applicant, sometimes small, local schools can provide an educational experience far better that can larger R1/R2 schools, especially in a course like Organic II. My Organic II course had about a dozen people in it. It was brutal, but we all learned a great deal and it was evident from the start that our professor really cared that we did well and truly understood the material. That kind of experience is difficult to have in an Organic II class in which you are one of 300 students.
Thanks so much! Your answer makes me feel better. I took half of my pre-reqs at my CC before i transferred to my UG. I'm only surrounded by R1/R2 schools..haha its a tough a position to be in. I'll try my best to retake that C- while I apply!

I wonder why Duke has a policy of no C- retakes, only D or F?

Anyways OP, if your school transcript does not use +/-, your grade will appear as a C in AMCAS and meet the school requirements.

A lot of universities do. My guess is it comes down to taking spaces from other students or financial aid or something. I've known some people he their grade dropped C- to D just for the sake of a retake. That works for your institutional GPA and DO schools, but we all know that doesn't help your AMCAS app.

May I ask how small/local we're talking? Is it a university? Private? (Should I just google, lol)

May I ask how small/local we're talking? Is it a university? Private? (Should I just google, lol)

Dalton State is a public, state institution, part of the University System of Georgia. Small, but not totally obscure to those in this region. It is not a university (though I think it likely will attain university status within the nest 15-2o years) and the highest degree offered here is a Bachelor of Science/Arts (BS / BA).

We've got just under 6,000 enrolled students, 160-full time faculty, and 72 part-time faculty. The graduation rate is abysmal (somewhere around 14% if I remember correctly), however, because while the school accepts pretty much anyone with even a faint pulse, the coursework (especially within STEM courses) is just as challenging as it would be at any R1/R2/R3. This results in a pretty sad overall success rate. This annoying fact aside, though, it really is an excellent school. The faculty are awesome. While I don't know anyone who graduated from Dalton State who has been as of yet accepted into an MD program, I do personally know three students who graduated from here who were accepted into PharmD programs, and I know one other who was accepted into a DPT program.

It's still growing, but it's a fantastic school. Check us out!

College Homepage: https://www.daltonstate.edu/index.cms

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_State_College

Dalton_Campus_Map1-Copy.png

(Side note: I use "we've" and "us" in this post because I'm currently back at Dalton State as a post-bacc student during my gap year.)

Last edited:
Dalton State is a public, state institution, part of the University System of Georgia. Small, but not totally obscure to those in this region.

We've got just under 6,000 enrolled students, 160-full time faculty, and 72 part-time faculty. The graduation rate is abysmal (somewhere around 14% if I remember correctly), however, because while the school accepts pretty much anyone with even a faint pulse, the coursework (especially within STEM courses) is just as challenging as it would be at any R1/R2/R3. This results in a pretty sad overall success rate. This annoying fact aside, though, it really is an excellent school. The faculty are awesome. While I don't know anyone who graduated from Dalton State who has been as of yet accepted into an MD program, I do personally know three students who graduated from here who were accepted into PharmD programs, and I know one other who was accepted into a DPT program.

It's still growing, but it's a fantastic school. Check us out!

College Homepage: https://www.daltonstate.edu/index.cms

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_State_College

(Side note: I use "we've" and "us" in this post because I'm currently back at Dalton State as a post-bacc student during my gap year.)

Dalton_Campus_Map1-Copy.png

Awesome response, thank you!! You'll be the first accepted into Med school! How exciting!!

Awesome response, thank you!! You'll be the first accepted into Med school! How exciting!!

Well, unfortunately no. I very much wish I could say this is the case, but as I feared some ADCOMs may have a prejudice against graduates of non-university institutions, I transferred to the University of North Georgia in Dahlonega, GA for my final two years of undergrad, so my degrees are from there. I know I made my concern about the school a self-fulfilling prophecy by transferring, but I'm confident that someone will be accepted from Dalton State within the next few years. As an institution, we've really improved since I began here just a few years ago in Fall 2011.

However, thank you very much for your kind sentiment and words!

Well, unfortunately no. I very much wish I could say this is the case, but as I feared some ADCOMs may have a prejudice against graduates of non-university institutions, I transferred to the University of North Georgia in Dahlonega, GA for my final two years of undergrad, so my degrees are from there. I know I made my concern about the school a self-fulfilling prophecy by transferring, but I'm confident that someone will be accepted from Dalton State within the next few years. As an institution, we've really improved since I began here just a few years ago in Fall 2011.

However, thank you very much for your kind sentiment and words!
I don't think it should be a problem your smaller school still granted bachelors degrees and doesn't have community college in its name!

Bump.

Just got a C- in biochem :(

Do schools accept this?

Quick question, my university doesn't have the +/- grading system. How common is this among schools in the U.S? I know most state school use the +/- system but I never knew why.

The CCs may be full, but likely ochem 2 would have openings since that isn't a popular class at a cc. Do you have more than one cc near you

so while applying with C- in biochem, Ochem, or any other course may have you slightly less competitive, it is not a bar from acceptance but it is a bar from matriculating.
Yep. I pulled out my acceptance letter the other day. It specifically stated that my offer of admission was contingent upon satisfactory completion of any outstanding academic requirements.

Ya’ll I appreciate the responses but this post was a year ago and I’ve already retaken the classes lol :)

Edit oops I didn’t see that person reviving it. Carry on

I applied 2015-2016. C- was not acceptable for prereqs at most the schools I applied at.

Edit: just to be clear - many of my schools required C or better. And any grade below a B- required a written explanation... which was lame.

Last edited: