Do medical schools frown upon this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlplucien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is something medical schools do not like to see in an applicant or if they don't care. Basically, I was originally a computer science major, and I realized I hate it. I've always thought about going into medicine but didn't want to take that long and difficult road, and now I know it's what I really want to do. I don't think there is anything else I can picture myself doing. Now, I haven't taken any of the prereqs, and I will be switching majors. I'm obviously going to be graduating late.

So would it look bad on an application if it took me 5 years or so to graduate due to switching majors?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is something medical schools do not like to see in an applicant or if they don't care. Basically, I was originally a computer science major, and I realized I hate it. I've always thought about going into medicine but didn't want to take that long and difficult road, and now I know it's what I really want to do. I don't think there is anything else I can picture myself doing. Now, I haven't taken any of the prereqs, and I will be switching majors. I'm obviously going to be graduating late.

So would it look bad on an application if it took me 5 years or so to graduate due to switching majors?

I don't believe so.

Hello,

Do you really need to switch majors? How far along on the CS degree are you? You could just keep the CS degree, and take the pre-reqs, and save a lot of time. It MIGHT even make yous tand out as an applicant. Taking 5 years, though, won't be frowned upon

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't declare my major until sophomore year, and consequently it took me five years to graduate. I don't think you (or I) need to be worried. 5 year undergrad is becoming commonplace.

Do you really need to switch majors? How far along on the CS degree are you? You could just keep the CS degree, and take the pre-reqs, and save a lot of time. It MIGHT even make yous tand out as an applicant. Taking 5 years, though, won't be frowned upon

I'm only going to be a sophomore. I took some computer science classes my first quarter that were really interesting. Once I got to programming, I absoloutely hate it. Though it may make me stand out, I can't be doing this for 3 more years.

Are there any other majors that could help for standing out that won't be to difficult to complete while taking the science prereqs?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

No, the only bad thing will be the time you lost in the transition and the extra money spent to be in school. If you still like computer science, I would try and stick it out and just do the pre-med pre-reqs. If not, switch to a major you like and get it done. I don't think it'll affect your application at all.

I'm only going to be a sophomore. I took some computer science classes my first quarter that were really interesting. Once I got to programming, I absoloutely hate it. Though it may make me stand out, I can't be doing this for 3 more years.

Are there any other majors that could help for standing out that won't be to difficult to complete while taking the science prereqs?

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I'll say this, and it sounds like a cliche, but it's true. The major that will help you stick out is the one you are most interested in, because it will be your attitude towards that major that will make you stand out in your PS, and your interview.

Hello,

Not at all, it's pretty common. In fact, it's so common for people to decide "late" that there's a distinct type of program (called a post-baccalaureate or "postbac" program) for people who already have a bachelors and just need to take the premed courses to qualify for medical school. Staying on at your university for a 5th year is just another way of doing the same thing. You can apply to med school with any major as long as you did well academically and also took the premed courses. Also make sure you get a start on clinical experience/volunteering/shadowing. It's all but expected for anyone applying, but is also important in helping support your decision to make the career goal switch.

I'm very relieved to hear that it won't affect my chances. I have one other concern as well. This is a bit of an odd one.

Are the science prereqs more difficult at a big state school? I'm going to be transferring from my current school, and I'm trying to decide between a state school and a relatively large private school. Those being university of illinois at chicago and loyola university chicago, respectively (both happen to have med schools). so with curves and everything would pre-med be more competitive at the public school? And does going to the med school's undergrad counterpart help with admission to that school?

I'm very relieved to hear that it won't affect my chances. I have one other concern as well. This is a bit of an odd one.

Are the science prereqs more difficult at a big state school? I'm going to be transferring from my current school, and I'm trying to decide between a state school and a relatively large private school. Those being university of illinois at chicago and loyola university chicago, respectively (both happen to have med schools). so with curves and everything would pre-med be more competitive at the public school? And does going to the med school's undergrad counterpart help with admission to that school?

Dude, just work your ass off and get 'er done in 4. That's what I did when I switched from aerospace to biomedical engineering. I did 19-20 credits a semester from sophomore year until senior year, and it was totally badass.

But no I've asked numerous people affiliated with med schools and they've all said it doesn't matter. Plus, honestly, it shouldn't take you a full 4 years to finish a bio degree if you put a little effort into it. You've probably already got some solid pre-reqs like Physics E&M and Classical Mechanics, plus Calc.

Science pre-reqs are probably going to be a little different at a big state school. I went to U of I in Champaign-Urbana and a lot of kids got eaten alive in Gen Chem and Physics and Calc because they were lazy. And our Intro to MCB class was like 800 kids or something ridiculous. There's just less personal attention so you have to be self-motivated, but I don't think it's necessarily harder. You'll come out a stronger student in the end--go to U of I!!!

Haha, stick with the Computer Science degree! It's something you can be extremely proud of, even though it's just a BS. Plus a CS is an amazing backup degree if med school somehow didn't come through. But do whatever will make you happiest as a person, life is too short to spend it miserable.

<-- Computer Science Student

I originally chose computer science as my major in college and I regret not sticking with it (I never even took a single class, instead I immediately switched to boring Biology). In hindsight I would have just taken the prereqs and done the CS degree.

With that said I actually DID change my major from Sociology to Biology. It took me an extra year to get my degree and no one noticed.

Also, keep in mind you can major in anything and go to med school...so if there's a major that you enjoy and can accomplish within the original 4 year timespan, that's okay too.

To those who stay stick with CS, I really can't haha. I can't begin to explain how much I dislike it.

lol. I wonder if any medical school adcom literally "frowns upon" anything like this. the verb "to frown upon" is way overused on sdn in my opinion.

Last edited:
No they don't care at all... I'm just pulling this number out of thin air but I would estimate that the average number of years spent on undergrad is nowhere near 4 but more like 4.5-5. Your situation is perfectly normal. The idea that all doctors knew they wanted to be doctors by the time they were 16 and it was pretty much a smooth ride from then on out is no where near realistic for the vast majority of applicants.

Med schools care about where you are NOW in terms of maturity, dedication, academic ability, and intellectual prowess... not the rocky road you took to get to that point. That's why writing a personal statement about how hard your life has been and all the horrendous obstacles you've had to overcome will be worthless unless you also demonstrate how those experiences have molded you into an excellent candidate to become a physician. That's the only part they really care about.

Don't worry about it. They understand most people don't want to become doctors since they were 2 years old. Look at the non-traditional forums for examples.