Do medical students get summers off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If not, what are they doing during the summers?

I know lectures probably end by June, and it's not like they need extra curricular activities anymore, so are they just off?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, im not sure about summer between 3-4 though. But youll be studying for boards between years 2&3. But youll be free between 1&2.

Extracurriculars are done in med school though. Sometimes helpful for residency. Missions trips and research mostly, and i guess volunteering too. A current med student may be able to chime in on other EC stuff done or how they spend their summers. This is just what ive heard.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I can say safely that if I'm offered any ECs that could eat my vacation time the answer will always be a resounding no

Favorite school starts classes in June. Ouch

Yeah, im not sure about summer between 3-4 though. But youll be studying for boards between years 2&3. But youll be free between 1&2.

Extracurriculars are done in med school though. Sometimes helpful for residency. Missions trips and research mostly, and i guess volunteering too. A current med student may be able to chime in on other EC stuff done or how they spend their summers. This is just what ive heard.

When do you typically take boards? Can you spend the entire summer studying for them between your 2nd and 3rd year and then just write the board exams a week before starting your third year?

That's what I did with my MCAT and I nailed it. I think have 8 weeks to devote to a major comprehensive exam like that is awesome

I had a summer break between oms1 and oms2. I had 6 weeks between oms2 and 3, but that was for step 1 studying. I had 2 weeks between 3rd and 4th year, but that was for step 2.

I had a summer break between oms1 and oms2. I had 6 weeks between oms2 and 3, but that was for step 1 studying. I had 2 weeks between 3rd and 4th year, but that was for step 2.

So do you take your board exams at the end of the summer before your third year? That sounds awesome, you get the whole summer to study just for one test with no other commitments taking your attention?

That's dope!

So do you take your board exams at the end of the summer before your third year? That sounds awesome, you get the whole summer to study just for one test with no other commitments taking your attention?

That's dope!

Six weeks isn't really the whole summer, and I'm sure it flies by.

That's dope!

There's usually not a real summer break after second year. Third year rotation schools start end of May at my school and June or July at most.

And "just one test" to describe the USMLE is the biggest understatement I've ever heard.

Reactions: 3 users
When do you typically take boards? Can you spend the entire summer studying for them between your 2nd and 3rd year and then just write the board exams a week before starting your third year?

That's what I did with my MCAT and I nailed it. I think have 8 weeks to devote to a major comprehensive exam like that is awesome

Yup! I believe some schools even require you to pass comlex 1 before starting rotations, not 100% if thats standard or not though. But yes another thing besides electives/audition time to look at when looking at a schools schedule is the amount of time off to study for boards between 2nd and 3rd year. 6-8 weeks of dedicated time is what ive heard is good amount of time. From what ive heard the people that prepare quicker can schedule to take their boards earlier in the summer and take some time off after it before rotations if they want. But thats up to the individual.

Yup! I believe some schools even require you to pass comlex 1 before starting rotations, not 100% if thats standard or not though. But yes another thing besides electives/audition time to look at when looking at a schools schedule is the amount of time off to study for boards between 2nd and 3rd year. 6-8 weeks of dedicated time is what ive heard is good amount of time. From what ive heard the people that prepare quicker can schedule to take their boards earlier in the summer and take some time off after it before rotations if they want. But thats up to the individual.

Yeah, I think 5-6 weeks is the optimum situation. Less than 4 weeks is bad. The test basically determines your future; take it seriously.