Do more doctors use Macs or PCs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't like how Apple believes anything it creates is the first of its kind.

They marketed the iPhone like the PDA didn't previously exist.

Members don't see this ad.

Doctors exclusively use Macs. They are for smarter/more liberal/eco-friendly/rich people. So obviously Macs.

Any other questions?

Are doctors smarter? Definitely smarter than the person who designed and built the computer. He DIDN'T get into med school!!

Are doctors more liberal? More than liberal than Pat Buchannan? Maybe, but just by a tad.

Are doctors more eco-friendly? I have a coal-fired oven in the basement of my mansion, I don't know about you.

Are doctors rich people? No. It is a common fact that doctors are poor. Why else would they be forced to charge $1000 for a totally necessary full body scan?

Do doctors know the difference between Macs and PCs? **** no. They both let me check my bank account and buy more MO and PFE stock options, right?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys there is absolutely no debate here. Apple is best. Vista is by far the best operating system on the planet.

Can I get a doctor loan for a packard bell with windows ME? I've been saving for this thing for years, but just can't come up with enough. I want to put it in my lobby to show my patients how professional we are!

I use my Mac for video editing, photoshop, and graphics. Beyond that, they don't do much better than Windows. Plus this BS about cutting out firewire in the new laptops is not cool.

This is very true. Not much Mac in corporate, but this may be changing.

I am a non-trad--my graduate degree is in computer info systems. I've been around PC since the days of MS-DOS (and Windows since v. 3.1).

Vista is the ABSOLUTE WORST POS EVER. Worse than Millennium (Me), which was referred to in the industry as the "Mistaken Edition."

I have a high-end Lenovo ThinkPad (formerly IBM) that I bought within the past 6 months. They are widely considered the best in the business (but expensive). It was a SNAIL out of the box, with 4GB RAM and a 7200 RPM HDD.

It runs ten times better after I pulled Vista and replaced it with XP.

That being said and Office 2008 load issues aside (this is a documented problem related to font lists in Mac, I believe), I am seriously going to consider a Mac for med school when I quit my job.

I don't think your Vista situation is representative of the norm. I have a Vista 64 laptop with 4gb of RAM, and it's very quick. My slightly older desktop is also a Vista machine, and it also runs very well.

I rarely experience any sort of crash with Vista, and whenever I do, it's almost always because I'm doing something I know I probably shouldn't (alt-tabbing out of a graphics-intensive game to open iTunes, etc). I really don't understand where all of the hatred towards Vista comes from :confused:. I actually find it slightly irritating when I hear TV ads telling Microsoft to "fix Vista." I've had a very positive experience using it for the past year and a half, and while OS X has its own numerous merits, there's really nothing putting Vista in the red.

People don't like change, plain and simple. When XP was the most popular, there was still a significant group of people using 98, and the same is true for Vista being the newest and many people sticking with XP.

If you want to be badass, get a Mac. Look through your applications, find the Terminal, and launch it. That's a real UNIX shell you're looking at, not some Cygwin-style emulator wannabe. You can be as hardcore as you want there: man `ls /usr/bin` and take your pick of whatever floats your *nix-geek boat. [Plus, you get to do your text editing in emacs OR vi.]

Or you can ignore all that junk and just use the computer to do the stuff you actually care about. Because "intuitive" is actually macspeak for getting out of your way.

Giving the badass card to Macs because you could use the Unix shell in theory is like claiming to be bilingual because you live across from Chinatown. Sure you could use it, but that's not true immersion. And you can't be badass without immersion.

But I only use Linux in my techno-fantasies as I have yet to make that ascension into true badassity. In the mean time, I enjoy the middle-ground of versatility and utility that is Windows. In truth, my biggest complaints about Macs came from the fact that you couldn't build one from scratch or swap out parts for faster ones (at least not then, maybe that's changed) as the technology improved. This is not so much an issue with laptops, but why use a PC desktop and mac laptop?

And can you really say Mac's are badass with a straight face? Macs were built for women and :barf:humanities majors.

hello-kitty-ibook-skin.jpg

In truth, my biggest complaints about Macs came from the fact that you couldn't build one from scratch or swap out parts for faster ones (at least not then, maybe that's changed) as the technology improved. This is not so much an issue with laptops, but why use a PC desktop and mac laptop?

I don't like this, either. If I recall correctly, they restrict the use of OS X on any hardware that isn't from Apple, so building one form scratch is practically out of the question.

Oh, and good post :laugh:.

i use a pc

i hate learning new interfaces (no, osx is not user friendly or intuitive to me)

PC = piece of crap

'nuff said.

My 2 computers:

Desktop: personal build about 5 years old now, running XP, upper middle shelf parts then, still handles admirably with few problems (2/3 of my RAM came unseated once), and with almost a TB of storage and dual screens, serves as a great work computer (one screen for word, the other for source material, or more likely a movie).

Notebook: ASUS m50-A1 which is a very good universal notebook, 15.4", doesn't excel in any one area, but is well above average in both gaming and multimedia, and with a full numberpad, it is great for work too. With all the bells and whistles, it still cost less than other comperable notebooks (and 1/4 the price of similarly benchmarked Apples). It has an incredible waranty too (1 year "we don't care if you 'accidently' dropped it off a 10 story building into a swimming pool we'll repair/replace it" accidental warranty). I thought about installing XP, but I've had no issues with Vista, and most benchmarks for the m50 show Vista compares well with XP in performance.

I love my PCs. The hours spent building my own computer is incredibly rewarding and I'd recommend it to anyone. As for style, I think my ASUS notebook looks better than any Apple too, which is nice because ASUS designed the current Macbooks as well as Sonys (ever notice how the Sony Vaio and a Macbook look alike? My ASUS looks completely different though). For most people out there, it is a matter of preference. I've been luck enough to have a few Macs crash at work. It is a trainwreck. Never had a PC fail though. However, I could not imagine paying $4000 (3999.99 sale price) for a notebook that I think is less attractive and less useful than my $1200 one. Only my opinion, and if you like Macs, go ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just gonna go ahead and put my vote in for Linux. We just let Microsoft and mac kill each other and come up on top. We look better than both of them anyway.

Because it's not a thread until someone posts a lolcat or xkcd comic:

sandwich.png

I would but only you and me would get it...:) sudo apt-get install medical knowledge. No need for med school anymore.

there are two reasons I dont like macs.

1. They lock u in with their proprietary crap.

2. one button mice.

apple is way better at making things like the ipod and the iphone. I have the feeling if it wasnt for the ipod apple would have been dead.

I would but only you and me would get it...:) sudo apt-get install medical knowledge. No need for med school anymore.

Haha, if only it were that easy. Med school is a lot like a retail Linux distribution. You pay way more than you should, and by the time you're up and running, all your libraries and packages are out of date.

there are two reasons I dont like macs.

1. They lock u in with their proprietary crap.

2. one button mice.

apple is way better at making things like the ipod and the iphone. I have the feeling if it wasnt for the ipod apple would have been dead.

See my earlier post - Apple's computer sales have been growing faster than the rest of the PC industry.

Because it's not a thread until someone posts a lolcat or xkcd comic:

sandwich.png

Haha! I love that comic. Well played. Linux definitely has a lot going for it. The more well-known distribution (Fedora and Ubuntu) have made great strides in reaching the point where the everyday user can just jump on their OS without problems. BUT, usually there is some sort of configuration file editing that needs to be done to fix some problem or other, which turns a lot of non-geeky people off. Linux is very freeing, definitely, and I'll continue to mess around with it until I can handle anything that comes at me.

With respect to the Mac/PC debate. This debate can go on for ages. In the end, all that matters is getting things done with whichever OS makes you feel best. Sure Macs seem to emphasize looks, but that is not to say they are powerful under the hood. Of course, Windows is blasted left and right whether its for Me or Vista or even XP(prior to Vista's release), but they still provide powerhouse performance. As future doctors training in a time when technology is growing more and more influential, we should have a solid grasp of both PC's and Macs in order to keep up with the rise of computer technology.

Long live peace!

See my earlier post - Apple's computer sales have been growing faster than the rest of the PC industry.

Thats y I said would have. People are working backwards. They have an ipod, so they get a mac computer. Macs are alot like sony products they have something cutting edge about them (in apples case sleek design), and you pay a premium for it.

I just went to the mac website and tried to configure a system and the pricepoint to hardware was an unbelievable rip off. Another reason y i dont like macs. Your not paying for performance your paying for form.

Pfft. You people and your packages. If you were a real badass (with a lot of time on your hands), you'd get the source and build it locally.:smuggrin: