do my grades hurt my chances of being accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsp132

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MAT*190 RC Calc & Anal Geometry I A
CHE*152 SC Principles of Chemistry II B
BIO*152 RC Principles of Biology II B
BIO*151 SC Principles of Biology I B+
MAT*162 AC Precalculus II B
CHE*151 SC Principles of Chemistry I B
MAT*161 GC Precalculus I A-
CHE*121 WA General Chemistry - Inorganic B-
BIO*121 SC General Biology I B

im planning to transfer to a 4 year from a cc

then hopefully onto either some form of graduate schooling

i know im gonna have to bust it even more though

thoughts? this is my second go round of going to school first time over 10 years ago was a disaster

Members don't see this ad.

not sure what your question is. of course your grades have something to do with admission. the good thing there are only 2 courses (gen chem and gen bio) which will be acceptable for med school prereqs so you can ace those and show schools you are more than competent. My biggest question though is that you say this is your second go at school. What is your current GPA and how many credits have you taken. You may have to go down the long hard road of GPA repair.

not sure what your question is. of course your grades have something to do with admission. the good thing there are only 2 courses (gen chem and gen bio) which will be acceptable for med school prereqs so you can ace those and show schools you are more than competent. My biggest question though is that you say this is your second go at school. What is your current GPA and how many credits have you taken. You may have to go down the long hard road of GPA repair.

i've taken about 120 credits before I decided I wanted to go at this a second time........my cumulative gpa is 3.03........

so should I retake the gen chem and bio to raise my gpa? I have a BS in a totally unrelated management degree not sure if that paints a better picture

Members don't see this ad :)
The AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) will group your BCPM grades together (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) according to their pre-set categories listed in the AMCAS Application Instructions from the AAMC website.

You want a high BCPM gpa. And a 3.0 isn't going to cut it. The irrelevant BS degree prob won't matter that much either. You want good BCPM grades not only for your gpa, but also to prepare you well for the MCAT. If you remember enough to rock the MCAT, then don't retake the basic classes, but DO take higher-level BCPM courses and get As.

Your BCPM gpa helps admissions committees ("adcoms") understand how well you do academically in medically-related classes. Since you didn't do too hot before, you need to step your game up. Look at the syllabi at your new school to determine if you'd like to take any of the advanced classes. Even those may have pre-reqs or build upon beginner knowledge. If you don't feel like you can get an A in the advanced classes, you may need to retake your basic ones and score higher the second time around.

[Trust me...when I figured out I wanted to be a doctor, I already has a seemingly-unrelated BA and MS tacked onto my last name. I then went to an awesome post-bac program to do my pre-reqs.]

Are you planning to get another bachelor's degree first? You say you already have a BS.

The AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) will group your BCPM grades together (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) according to their pre-set categories listed in the AMCAS Application Instructions from the AAMC website.

You want a high BCPM gpa. And a 3.0 isn't going to cut it. The irrelevant BS degree prob won't matter that much either. You want good BCPM grades not only for your gpa, but also to prepare you well for the MCAT. If you remember enough to rock the MCAT, then don't retake the basic classes, but DO take higher-level BCPM courses and get As.

Your BCPM gpa helps admissions committees ("adcoms") understand how well you do academically in medically-related classes. Since you didn't do too hot before, you need to step your game up. Look at the syllabi at your new school to determine if you'd like to take any of the advanced classes. Even those may have pre-reqs or build upon beginner knowledge. If you don't feel like you can get an A in the advanced classes, you may need to retake your basic ones and score higher the second time around.

[Trust me...when I figured out I wanted to be a doctor, I already has a seemingly-unrelated BA and MS tacked onto my last name. I then went to an awesome post-bac program to do my pre-reqs.]

Are you planning to get another bachelor's degree first? You say you already have a BS.

yes, in biology, just in case my veterinary school aspirations don't work out

i'm definately going to do whatever it takes.......I wish I had my mindset when I first went to school

such a huge waste I feel really dumb

i'm definately going to do whatever it takes.......I wish I had my mindset when I first went to school

such a huge waste I feel really dumb

You're NOT really dumb! Dedication & motivation can make up for a LOT of previous stumbles...though I hate the fact that those old transcripts of ours follow us FOREVER...ugh!!!

Here's a thought...and take this to heart:

...once upon a time, in the middle of undergrad, I suffered from iatrogenic memory loss due to a rare idiosyncratic side effect of a medication used to a treat a condition I was MISDIAGNOSED with. I bombed my classes...we're talking Fs...and couldn't remember a thing. Short term memory: GONE. I had to scramble to figure out what I could even major in to graduate! It literally derailed my medical school ambitions...as in: the train is off the tracks and burning up into a pile of flaming ashes. My transcripts are embarrassing.

Over the years, I slowly got back on track by working on my memory and building a brand-new fail-safe work ethic, and built up an awesome CV with a great MCAT score.

Sadly, many many schools drop my application like a hot potato after seeing those college grades from TEN YEARS ago, despite my awesome Master's work and recent post-bac grades. And you know what? I DON'T want to go to a medical school that can't see my true abilities and current aptitude! The med school that DID accept me is amazing and I'm SO excited that they like me as much as I like them!!

The moral of this story: you CAN do it! It will take incredible strength & dedication, more so than most applicants, but you CAN succeed. And you will be a better person and professional for it :)

Go out there and knock 'em dead! Boost your academic self-esteem and PROVE that you're not the same person that you were when your low gpa first came out. Good luck! :xf: