DO=Non-primary care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robnon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me. I tried search the forums for this but couldn't find anything and I am not sure if this should go in the Osteopathic forum, but here is my situation. I am very interested in applying to a DO school. I really like the philosophy, the atmosphere of the schools and I was really inspired by my primary doctor who is a DO (I've been going to him for 12 years). However, I am also interested in surgery and I know there are plenty of DO surgeons, but what about DO schools that are very focused on primary care? For example it seems UNE and WVCOM are very focused on PC. The obvious answer would be to only apply to DO schools that match a wide range of specialities, but at the same time I don't want to limit myself by applying to a small number of schools. Also, I really like UNE, but want to do surgery. Can anyone offer some advice on this? Would I be a disadvantage if I went to a school like that? Also, I know that people change their minds about speciality all the time and a graduating doctor might go into a speciality very different from what they had in mind as an M1/pre-med, but I really have my heart set on surgery. Anything advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

True. UNECOM and especially WVSOM are very much into primary care. WVSOM boasts that they are number 1 ranked because their physicans return to the area to practice primary care med.

I had the same concerns when I applied to DO schools since I wanted to practice trauma surgery, emergency med... My interviewer explained to me that there was no problem in that. Regardless of the field you go into, you can practice osteopathic medicine or incorporate it in your work. However, based on the field, time might be limited (hence the benefit of a private practice where you have ample time to practice OMM...).

Thats my experience on the topic.

Also, I really like UNE, but want to do surgery. Can anyone offer some advice on this? Would I be a disadvantage if I went to a school like that?

Look at the class of 2007 matchlist:

http://www.une.edu/com/clinical/pdf/pgy07.pdf

You'll see a load of people from UNE that went into surgery. That said, it doesn't mean that YOU will ever get surgery. That's something that you'll have to work really hard on. But, will UNECOM put you at a disadvantage? No. Only you can do that to yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for posting this is helpful. And thanks for posting the match list, I tried searching for it on their website but couldn't find it. Besides UNE and WVCOM, does anyone know of any other DO schools that are heavy on primary care?

Trust me, as a DO you can definately pursue a career in surgery. :thumbup: