Do Not Rank Ucsd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malouse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I thought I'd put out a word about the obgyn department at UC San Diego to save any of you interested in their program. They do a wonderful job selling themselves on interview day, but they have a notorious reputation for mistreating medical students. The residents function like a dysfunctional sorority and spend a great deal of time on L&D speaking badly of each other, their attendings, and medical students. They sabotage their own students who want to go into obgyn by writing bad evaluations and in even one case, made up such horrible lies about a med student, that he failed the rotation. There have also been complaints about racist prejudices amongst the residents. Most of UCSD's students applying to obgyn are not ranking them high. So, unless you have to be in San Diego, I would recommend that you don't rank this program at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure where UC San Diego falls in terms of ranking, but all the residents and attendings speak very highly of their program and consider it one of the best in California (I have no idea how true that is). My own opinion is that they are definitely a very "friendly" program- ie the residents get along great and the attendings are wonderful.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3933102#post3933102

What happened between last July and today to make you change your mind? From "friendly" to "dysfunctional sorority" in 6 months??? :confused:

I had a wonderful experience on my externship in ob/gyn at UCSD. The residents were all super friendly and I never heard them say anything mean about each other or their attendings. I enjoyed working with all of them and I thought the attendings were great too.

We're not applying to be medical students there. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience, but I just want to let people out there know that not everyone feels the way you do. The residents at UCSD, just like those at any other program, like those medical students who work hard, are enthusiastic and show interest in learning about ob/gyn.

I intend to rank UCSD as one of my top choices. I'm really excited about the program and I hope the inital post on this website does not discourage other applicants from ranking it highly either.

Members don't see this ad :)
... Most of UCSD's students applying to obgyn are not ranking them high.
I overheard a couple ob/gyn applicants from UCSD discussing between themselves on another interview that they *wish* UCSD would take more of their own students because more than one or two want to stay.

Like CaliOBGynee, I too think very highly of UCSD's program and am planning on ranking it tops.

Hi All,

I thought I'd put out a word about the obgyn department at UC San Diego to save any of you interested in their program. They do a wonderful job selling themselves on interview day, but they have a notorious reputation for mistreating medical students. The residents function like a dysfunctional sorority and spend a great deal of time on L&D speaking badly of each other, their attendings, and medical students. They sabotage their own students who want to go into obgyn by writing bad evaluations and in even one case, made up such horrible lies about a med student, that he failed the rotation. There have also been complaints about racist prejudices amongst the residents. Most of UCSD's students applying to obgyn are not ranking them high. So, unless you have to be in San Diego, I would recommend that you don't rank this program at all.

Seems like a rather interesting ploy to get people to not rank a program and improve one's own chances.

Hi All,

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...02#post3933102

I agree Dr. Dawg. I think Malouse never got the memo that we could look at his/her earlier posts. I mean, seriously.....

I hope I don't end up in a program with this person.

Actually that post was from the end of my third year which was a pretty positive experience, largely b/c the mix of people were different. The attendings I think are still great, its just some of the residents that have made life for several students extremely difficult. It's funny that they wish to take their own when their own dont want to stay. But there are dozens and dozens of current third and fourth year students who have voiced their opinions about the obgyn program. It's not about applying to medical students v. the obgyn residency, but that people who are only nice to each other and not nice to their subordinates, are probably not that genuine. But it's just a heads up, nothing to get overly defensive about if you really want to go there.