Do Oklahoma, Alabama, Texas states have a bad rap and affects pharmacy schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmpills

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do alot of pharmacy students and people look down on states that seem boring such as Texas, Alabama, etc in comparison to NY, Miami, LA, etc when it comes to having a social life. It seems so in my view but then again i think alot of popular schools which have satellite campus tend to be the same way plus it seems the main time for fun would be holidays such as christmas and summer but not so much while in school or do others feel differently?

Members don't see this ad.

Texas? Boring? Have you been to 6th St in Austin? There's a reason why UT Austin is ranked as one of the top ten party schools by the Princeton Review! Not that I'll have much time for partying... :(

Texas? Boring? Have you been to 6th St in Austin? There's a reason why UT Austin is ranked as one of the top ten party schools by the Princeton Review! Not that I'll have much time for partying... :(

Hahahah--I don't discriminate! 4th, 5th, 7th, and 8th are fun too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahahah--I don't discriminate! 4th, 5th, 7th, and 8th are fun too!

Haha, yeah we'll definitely need to hang out... I think I'll NEED a beer after orientation! Sounds like it's going to be pretty boring....:sleep:

Do alot of pharmacy students and people look down on states that seem boring such as Texas, Alabama, etc in comparison to NY, Miami, LA, etc when it comes to having a social life. It seems so in my view but then again i think alot of popular schools which have satellite campus tend to be the same way plus it seems the main time for fun would be holidays such as christmas and summer but not so much while in school or do others feel differently?

Who needs a social life when you have daily tornadoes??!?!?!?!?!???

I reckon life shore is borin' when you don't live in the only places that matter such as New Yerk City or Los Angerles.

If only I had been borned in such a cultural city such as yers... Folks with that kind of culture don't have such a limited view of their world. No siree, they know what it is like everywhere else and don't discriminate like us dumb folk in Texas/Alabama/etc.

By the way, you are comparing states to cities. Last I heard, NYC and LA weren't states. Also, all states are full of large rural areas with lots of boring rural towns. For example, the Washington DC area is considered exciting, but if you head 30 miles north to Frederick, you are in a very boring rural area.

Well, darn! Born and raised okie and now livin' in Texas. I better start lookin to apply to schools located in states like LA (a state now?) with the high cost of living, higher population and lots of non-boring people around. :rolleyes:

I have tons of killer parties in my teepee.

to be honest, night life/stuff to do was definitely a factor for me when it came to picking pharmacy schools. i believe i have good time management to the point where i can actually go out once a week (at least). i've gone out every friday and saturday night (for the most part) for the past 2 years. so i definitely did not want to just hit up a house party or go to the same couple of bars or clubs or something every weekend for the next 4 years

as for "social" reputation, i doubt it has any effect at all. tons of people don't care about the quality of night life

Did you pose this question to be serious or are you a troll seeking to rile up us Texans? People from outside of Texas don't quite get why we are so proud of our state. That being said, Dallas is one of the more expensive cities to live in and I would say is on par with places like Miami and NYC. People from LA, Miami, and NYC are just a little stuck up about where they come from and always have to throw it in your face that they are from there. There's plenty to do in Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Houston and not to mention thousands upon thousands of small town events like the Carroll Shelby Terlingua chili cook-off out in west Texas. That's an event that draws people by the tens of thousands each year to sample some of the best and hottest chili this country has ever seen. But there are so many more events that could be listed for a state so large that we have more acreage than all but one European country and one state, Alaska. But what would us hayseed bumpkins from states where we still ride horses to skool know about so-fisticated cityfied livin'?

I don't think people can speak for most students. I will admit that the social environment of the school I was accepted to was a small factor, but not a predominant one. You know, we all have to study and/or work most of the time in pharmacy school anyway.;)

My classmates come from all over like Madison (big party school at Wisconsin), California, Hawaii, etc. Some come to Nebraska mainly because they didn't have any other choices but some chose to come here anyway. Omaha, Nebraska has nothing on the big cities or even nice ones like Austin, but I haven't heard stories of people suffering from boredom here.

A better question instead of yours is asking whether or not there's a stigma against schools in rural and isolated communities versus urban communities.

if stuff-to-do was a big factor, Texas Tech would have no students, Amarillo is booooooooring, that's why I bought Rock Band, something to do

Do alot of pharmacy students and people look down on states that seem boring such as Texas, Alabama, etc in comparison to NY, Miami, LA, etc when it comes to having a social life.

I don't. It's about the education for me, not the social life.

I am born and raised in Miami, Florida. I am personally embarrassed to be considered a Miamian because I generally don't fit into the city slicker stereotype. I am happy that I got the heck out of there, I always felt stressed out, traffic is unbearable, and it's very expensive to live there. The only advantage I got is that I went to bilingual school and I am fluent in Spanish and I also know how to speak Creole. But I guess it's where you fit in. I am a small town gal at heart. I laugh about the social life in Miami because there really isn't much unless your into overly exclusive and expensive clubs. As far as culture, it really isn't as highly developed as New York City. There aren't many museums or attractions. Downtown Miami is a farce, nothing but banks and no where to shop. I have friends that went to Miami Dade and went directly to Nova pharm program. The majority did it because they were married and settled in Miami. I have taken undergrad classes in Nova and I was personally unimpressed. They do have a good dental program though.

sorry for not replying to the post earlier...i was too busy tying up my lasso to rope in my herd for the night in my cowboy boots.

sorry for not replying to the post earlier...i was too busy tying up my lasso to rope in my herd for the night in my cowboy boots.

LOL!

Corvallis isn't exactly one of the most exciting towns either...but there is plenty to do here...I just don't expect celebrities to come stumbling out of the bars.

Actually, I think that part of Oregon is pretty cool. You may not get celebrities but you get fun adventurous people.

LOL!

Corvallis isn't exactly one of the most exciting towns either...but there is plenty to do here...I just don't expect celebrities to come stumbling out of the bars.

Well what i realize is that we will get time to do things and have fun during the entire summer, christmas or whatever it may be. The only exception will be those in 3 year program but they still get a few weeks off plus a year out faster which is sweet. I guess alot of things depend on the school and the environment that surround the school nearby.