Do Online Science Courses Count Towards Your Science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tom B. Burner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if online science courses count towards your science GPA?

Also I don't plan on doing any online classes for the prerequisite medical school courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. In fact, AMCAS doesn’t even ask if a course is online.

Reactions: 2 users

Med schools will see it from your transcript won't it? At least, my college says whether or not the class was online or not!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Amcas does ask for this in a round-about way. When they ask for the specific course number, they have access to a huge database that allows them to indicate online/not online

The AMCAS verification process first automatically takes school, year, term, course code, and even section and runs it thru the NSCH database, which is the largest system of its kind with something like at least 20 years course catalogs from 90%+ of US colleges.
Is it possible for students to look these up on the national clearinghouse website? For instance, some schools state that "writing intensive" courses can substitute for English credits- does this database indicate "Writing intensive"?