Do optometry students say they are in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strangely

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow eye lovers

When people ask what you’re studying do you say “I’m in medical school/I’m a medical student” or tell them your in optometry school (and obviously studying optometry)?

I’ve actually been hearing both recently, want to know what everyone else on here says

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Optometry student for sure. Medical student is used more for an MD or DO

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe OP is from a country where optometrists are required to attend medical school? In the US at least, optometrists
Hey fellow eye lovers

When people ask what you’re studying do you say “I’m in medical school/I’m a medical student” or tell them your in optometry school (and obviously studying optometry)?

I’ve actually been hearing both recently, want to know what everyone else on here says
In what country? Maybe this is true in certain parts of the world?

Maybe OP is from a country where optometrists are required to attend medical school? In the US at least, optometrists

In what country? Maybe this is true in certain parts of the world?

I’m from Kentucky, don’t go to optometry school, attend an MD program, but have tons of respect for OD’s. Just been hearing this being thrown around at the hospital a lot in recent weeks so got curious and wanted to know what OD students would prefer to be called

I thought so too but I’m hearing Optometry and even podiatry students use this term
In podiatry.

Someone asks me what I'm in school for currently, I say med school.

Keeps them from asking further.

If I answer podiatry, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Some get it confused with "Pediatrician".
Others have no idea what our depth of training is, what test we take, if we have a residency or not.

I've had a PT from UCSF wonder if our program was 2 years or 3 years.

I use the term "med school" to opt out of the conversation. Not because I want to look cool. Not because I think I'm an MD/DO.

I have a lot of friends who are in opto school. The general public understands when they say "optometry". Podiatry not so much.

I've never seen an optometry student refer to themselves as a medical student within the healthcare field or to the general public.

Reactions: 1 users
I have never once heard a student of optometry saying they were in medical school.

When I was in school 20 years ago, when people would ask me what I was studying, I would frequently say that I was “studying to be an optometrist” rather than “I’m in optometry school.” For whatever reason, people seemed to understand the world optometrist much more than the word optometry.

I'm a newer grad and never heard anyone use the term "medical" school while in school or anyone who has graduated.

If I heard someone say they were in medical school I'd correct them myself.