DO or MD Easier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post and I had a question that was constantly on the back of my mind and iv had mixed answers. Which is "easier" to get accepted into with average stats DO or MD. Before anyone badgers me that none is easy I know. Key word is higher chances with average stats.

The obvious answer looks like DO is easier but if you go to amcas or aacomas it shows that about 35% of all applicants were accepted while about 43% of all applicants were accepted for MD. What the heck? Now I'm confused. Can anyone shine a light upon me?

Members don't see this ad.

What would you define as average? Average for Allo or Osteo?

The common consensus would be that DO schools will take you with lower GPA/MCAT.

As far as the percentages you cited is concerned I'd speculate that someone with very low stats is less likely to be in the Allopathic Applicant pool, whereas they may be more likely to take a chance at the osteopathic schools, thus increasing their pool size and diluting it with applicants who have no business in applying, or apply late, using DO as a back-up when their MD dreams don't materialize and by then its too late in the season for them to have a shot at a DO school, but I don't really know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm talking about average DO stats. I'm trying to think whether it would be better to spread out DO apps or give low-tier MD schools a go

I'm talking about average DO stats. I'm trying to think whether it would be better to spread out DO apps or give low-tier MD schools a go

apply by school, look at their msar stats

These discussions tire me.

Last edited:
Decide where you want to go to school. Ignore the fact that it is MD or DO. Look at the school, the campus, the location, the tuition, how they compare to your stats, and the opportunities for rotations. Then pick the best school that extends you an acceptance.

I would have liked to be a DO. I think that OMM has a place in modern health care. It just happens that the closest school to my house, where my spouse has a good job that provides health benefits, happens to be an MD school. It makes more sense to go to a school where I don't have to move.

Good luck.

dsoz

why limit yourself and why the either or mentality. The cost to apply widely isnt that expensive (I just went through 6 months of audition rotations, ERAS applying to 45 residencies, traveling to 7 interviews all out of my pocket - thats an expense!)

Apply to every school you think you have a chance at and can afford. who cares about which is easier to get into (the answer obviously is DO, its reality).

But why pick and choose. This is your career your talking about. You dont take a sniper rifle pheasant hunting. Shoot with the buckshot and somewhere you're BB will hit. Dont cherry pick because the chances are it wont work out. Take this from someone who ended up applying 3 times... finally got it right the last time.

Dsoz and orthojoe you both are right on point. Thank you for the insight

These discussion tire me.

tumblr_mjxsftUvWz1qzujn9o1_400.gif

I was excited to post thinking you were referring to which program is easier

Well that didnt work out

Status
Not open for further replies.