DO or MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sxytrojanchica

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be an ob/gyn. I'm still in highschool though, just something i'm thinking about and i was wondering if one if you could be either a Do or MD to be a ob/gyn or if it really mattered which one you were. and is there a difference in the salaries of a DO and MD. Also is the legth in time that you go to school the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend doing a search on SDN for "DO or MD" You'll find a ton of information (some accurate, some not so accurate).

To me and most of the medical profession, there doesn't exist as much of a stigma of being a DO as there once was. Today, there doesn't exist that big of a line between DOs and MDs. There is some stigma. However, DOs and MDs are both recognized by health insurances and the government. I prefer the DO field myself because it's more humane than the MD side. The MD side is more concerned with treating the disease itself rather than the whole person and body. I reccomend to get a first hand experience of the DO and MD feilds by visiting each medical school and shadowing more than one doctor from each field. That is my 2 cents.