Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

do pathologists have a salary??

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by dpat81, Mar 1, 2007.

1. dpat81

dpat81 yup

Medical Student
    I have been trying to research what an average pathologist earns, but the stats I get are highly variable...ranging from 150 to 300,000. What have you guys learned about the average pathologist salary? I realize that dermpath makes around 400 or so, but what about the other subspecialties? Thanks for your help. :smuggrin:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Villin

Resident [Any Field]
    :p we live on foodstamps and we make the most during residency. it just goes to hell after that. :rolleyes:

seriously, how much do CEOs make? do the research on that and then come back if you still have the question.

4. sequela

sequela Junior Member

Medical Student
    i think you have noticed a range of salary because there probably really is that much variability: range in subspecialty pay, private vs academic, compensation based on geographical location, high base salary vs decent base salary with highly desirable benefit package (that may make up the difference for the less than desirable base salary depending on your situation and personal priorites) and finally, how many years in practice (clearly there is a difference there)....it's difficult to make generalizations. this could probably be said about many other specialities and i am willing to bet their figures also cover a range.

i don't think you're gonna find the answer you're looking for. as has been said before, pathologists make more than some specialties and less than others...either way, by the time we're practicing, or at the peak of our earning potential, who knows what the state of reimbersments will be.

from what i understand, they do in fact make less than ceos.

5. path15

Resident [Any Field]
    Also keep in mind that there are clinical pathologists, anatomic pathologists, and combined clincial/anatomic pathologists - this reflects their salary, and where they can work - i.e. community hospital verse academic hospital.
    Pathology is not as homogenous of a profession as something like famiily medicine or pediatrics.

6. LADoc00

LADoc00 There is no substitute for victory.

Attending Physician
    I make $1 dollar in salary......and several hundred thousand in bonuses..muhahahahahahaha