How can I get a good program with my non-modifiable factors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moa10441

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently a PGY2 IM resident at a community program with no internal cardiology fellowship spot.
I'm also a US-IMG with average board scores and with currently 1-2 poster presentations under my name and no other research.

My goal is to start two retrospective research projects in the next few months and hoping one completes by next June.

I realize my odds of getting into cardiology are slim, especially higher tier programs.

Knowing that, I was considering deferring my application for fellowship until I've completed a post doctoral research fellowship.

Currently, I have no location restrictions or financial restrictions.

I was wondering:

1. What the general consensus would be in terms of pursuing a postdoctoral cardiology fellowship?
2. Which programs would be best in terms of biggest bank for buck / published work
3. If anyone could help me out in securing one if deemed necessary.

Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently a PGY2 IM resident at a community program with no internal cardiology fellowship spot.
I'm also a US-IMG with average board scores and with currently 1-2 poster presentations under my name and no other research.

My goal is to start two retrospective research projects in the next few months and hoping one completes by next June.

I realize my odds of getting into cardiology are slim, especially higher tier programs.

Knowing that, I was considering deferring my application for fellowship until I've completed a post doctoral research fellowship.

Currently, I have no location restrictions or financial restrictions.

I was wondering:

1. What the general consensus would be in terms of pursuing a postdoctoral cardiology fellowship?
2. Which programs would be best in terms of biggest bank for buck / published work
3. If anyone could help me out in securing one if deemed necessary.

Thanks ahead of time.

Not to be a downer, but the ship probably has sailed on cardiology fellowship for you. IMG + community IM program is already a death knell, and you do not have any other "wow" aspect to your application. Post-residency research "fellowships" do not move the needle much, especially with your already-identified non-modifiable factors. Think of it this way: even if you get 2-3 first author publications in original research, why would a cardiology fellowship take a chance on you when they can obtain candidates who 1) went straight through without taking time off to buff up their application, 2) come from academic IM residencies with track record of clinical training, and 3) who already have published original research?

In terms of which programs for research and "securing" one, I definitely cannot help you there. If you are set on cardiology, doesn't hurt to ask around and try but I would advise you to start looking for IM jobs. Start making money and pay off your loans. You could do a whole lot worse than being an IM physician.

be hopeful but also realistic

I think the chance of you matching a program in cardiology would be low to at this point without a dedicated research or chief year. that being said, there are plenty of IMGs who are current fellows out there but they most likely was a tremendous resident (excellent steps and ITEs), did a chief year at the same institution, did legit research with a track record of published research +/- connections. There are a plenty of research or non-acgme accredited fellowships out there for cardiology but its important to look at where did all their previous fellow go, whether the same institution has an in-house gen card fellowship that is willing to take you, the amount of meningful research done and the connections you can build from that experience. Even if you do everything right, the rising competitiveness of cardiology fellowship in general might not be reachable.

Another thing to consider is the opportunity cost. Assume you match straight out of residency, gen card fellowship is a 3 year opportunity cost at 300k/year + interest ~1 to 1.2M that you likely will be able to catch up down the road with cardiology attending salary. But any additional year in between will be an additional 300-400k per year on top of that.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: