Do pre-pharm transcripts matter when applying to residency?

Started by llgordon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

llgordon

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm a pre-pharm currently enrolled in a microbiology class at a CC. The date to drop without a W has passed, but since then I have decided not to attend the school for which I need the class. I'd like to pick up more hours at work, so I was considering dropping this class and taking the W. I heard from an admissions coordinator that this is a bad idea because it will hurt me when I apply for a residency as I will have to explain why I have this W and residencies are very competitive. Is this true? Do residencies look at your pre-pharm transcripts? I could really be doing something more productive with my time right now, but I don't want to be shooting myself in the foot either. BTW, this would be my only W, I have a strong GPA, and I have no I's.

Thanks for the advice!
 
Hi! I'm a pre-pharm currently enrolled in a microbiology class at a CC. The date to drop without a W has passed, but since then I have decided not to attend the school for which I need the class. I'd like to pick up more hours at work, so I was considering dropping this class and taking the W. I heard from an admissions coordinator that this is a bad idea because it will hurt me when I apply for a residency as I will have to explain why I have this W and residencies are very competitive. Is this true? Do residencies look at your pre-pharm transcripts? I could really be doing something more productive with my time right now, but I don't want to be shooting myself in the foot either. BTW, this would be my only W, I have a strong GPA, and I have no I's.

Thanks for the advice!

Depends on where you apply for residency. I had 2 programs request my undergrad transcripts. I had 1 W on my transcript and it never affected me. I got interviews everywhere that I applied. Really I think they're more interested in how you do during pharmacy school and your LOR/extracurriculars.
 
If I apply, regardless if they ask, they will get my undergrad info because I went to the same school for undergrad.