• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I submitted my application with 3 letters to programs that "require 3 letters" per their website, and with 4 to those that "require at least 3." Should I submit my last letter to the remaining programs as well? I'm wondering if the ones that "require 3 letters" will pick any 3 at random and just read those, or if they will read all 4 letters.

About the Ads

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Last edited:

MEN2C

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
As an applicant for neonatology fellowship, I got the feeling that everyone I interviewed had read all of my letters. Obviously I can't be sure, but it hasn't been uncommon for an interviewer to begin the question with "Your letter says you're interested in x or you did y, tell me more".

Might be different for residency given the volume of people.

Last edited:

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
As an applicant for neonatology fellowship, I got the feeling that everyone I interviewed had read all of my letters. Obviously I can't be sure, but it hasn't been uncommon for an interviewer to begin the question with "Your letter says you're interested in x or you did y, tell me more".

Might be different for residency given the volume of people.

For fellowship applications we are interested in seeing what research or other interests (education, Qi) etc you may want to pursue during fellowship. So, we read those and will ask you about them. Gives us something to talk about in the interview and a sense of whether you fit in well with us. We may or may not read the part about how taking care of that cute little 800 g baby during your PL-1 year convinced you to do neo.

Reactions: 1 user

pedssped

Feb 21, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Should I use all 4 letter spots for preceptors from 3rd & 4th year, or should I do 3 from preceptors and letter #4 from pre med school research PI (worked together x 2 years) who presumably knows my character/ work ethic better than someone I only worked with for a few weeks....?

SurfingDoctor

"I'm having a wonderful time"
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Omicron Persei 8
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Should I use all 4 letter spots for preceptors from 3rd & 4th year, or should I do 3 from preceptors and letter #4 from pre med school research PI (worked together x 2 years) who presumably knows my character/ work ethic better than someone I only worked with for a few weeks....?
Are you talking about residency application? No one care about a pre-med research LOR when applying for residency. People want to know clinical acumen and how you interact with hospital staff and patients.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.