Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DO Rec for MD Schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jubei0766, Oct 23, 2001.

1. jubei0766

jubei0766 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello, If you are applying to MD schools, is it okay to get a letter from a DO(since MD and DO are considered pretty much the same)?
    Your insight will be appreciated!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

why would it matter? no one requires that you get a letter from a physician, much less an MD in particular. rec letters are personal references, so the letter should come from anyone who can vouch for you.

don't worry about it. one of my letters is from a DO.

3. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It is recommended that we include a letter from a physician in our evaluation packett. I got a letter from a family practice DO that I have shadowed for quite a while. However, I am not applying to any DO programs - only MD/PhD programs. Do you think they will look down on this?

On top of that, he sent me a copy of the letter, and it is written with poor grammar and spelling! What do you think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

I don't think it matters that he is a DO. But, the poor grammer will hurt you. You don't want to send that in.
    Can you get a letter from someone else?

5. jot

jot

scrap it if you can afford to. no point sending in something that doesn't reflect the best you have to offer.

6. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

getting a letter from a DO is fine, but if it has poor grammar and spelling i would not send it in (unless you really need the letter). even though his/her language skills have nothing to do with you, a poorly written letter might leave adcomswith an unfavorable impression of you. i asked one of my profs to write me a letter. when i got an e-mail response back from him that was very poorly written i decided to get one from someone else instead.

7. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

Could you alter it somehow? This is probably a stupid question, but it's worth mentioning, I guess.:confused: