DO Rec for MD Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jubei0766

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, If you are applying to MD schools, is it okay to get a letter from a DO(since MD and DO are considered pretty much the same)?
Your insight will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

why would it matter? no one requires that you get a letter from a physician, much less an MD in particular. rec letters are personal references, so the letter should come from anyone who can vouch for you.

don't worry about it. one of my letters is from a DO.

It is recommended that we include a letter from a physician in our evaluation packett. I got a letter from a family practice DO that I have shadowed for quite a while. However, I am not applying to any DO programs - only MD/PhD programs. Do you think they will look down on this?

On top of that, he sent me a copy of the letter, and it is written with poor grammar and spelling! What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it matters that he is a DO. But, the poor grammer will hurt you. You don't want to send that in.
Can you get a letter from someone else?

scrap it if you can afford to. no point sending in something that doesn't reflect the best you have to offer.

getting a letter from a DO is fine, but if it has poor grammar and spelling i would not send it in (unless you really need the letter). even though his/her language skills have nothing to do with you, a poorly written letter might leave adcomswith an unfavorable impression of you. i asked one of my profs to write me a letter. when i got an e-mail response back from him that was very poorly written i decided to get one from someone else instead.

Could you alter it somehow? This is probably a stupid question, but it's worth mentioning, I guess.:confused: