Do residents in New York state need a license from PGY1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey

I'm an IMG and will be starting residency in nyc in july.

do I apply for license after pgy1? after step 3? after I complete residency?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No.

This point constantly comes up because (I think) that fellows usually must get licensed. Not residents.

Licensure is for moonlighting ONLY as a resident and is available to AMGs after the completion of their 1st year, passing Step 3 and a $700 fee + paperwork + time. You'll make back your fee after your first weekend.

No.

This point constantly comes up because (I think) that fellows usually must get licensed. Not residents.

Licensure is for moonlighting ONLY as a resident and is available to AMGs after the completion of their 1st year, passing Step 3 and a $700 fee + paperwork + time. You'll make back your fee after your first weekend.

Don't residents need a training permit?

No.

As an IMG - which the OP is - you cannot moonlight in NY state until you finish 3 years of residency - this is on the NY Medical license website. I will assume you are in a 3 year residency - if so you apply for the license before the end of residency (and had finished and recieved your step 3 scores), NY state will put it "on hold" and you will get it very close to your graduation date.

American Medical grads can get their license - which allows moonlighting - the day they end their intern year.

As an IMG - which the OP is - you cannot moonlight in NY state until you finish 3 years of residency - this is on the NY Medical license website. I will assume you are in a 3 year residency - if so you apply for the license before the end of residency (and had finished and recieved your step 3 scores), NY state will put it "on hold" and you will get it very close to your graduation date.

American Medical grads can get their license - which allows moonlighting - the day they end their intern year.

All residents still need a training permit, even if they don't have a full license.

Varies by state. Some do and some don't. The actual answer is in the link I provided as well as IMPD's response...it is "no".

Wow, that's amazing. If I had known, I would have taken a spot in NY! Seems like a lot less hassles. Oh well.

Wow, that's amazing. If I had known, I would have taken a spot in NY! Seems like a lot less hassles. Oh well.

Be careful what you wish for. The less hassles with logistics in being a PGY1 is more than made up with the hassles in the hospitals themselves.... at least in NYC.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need one in CA either (but you do have to have your own license to proceed to R3). Honestly, one way's no better/worse than another.

Also, having done med school in NYC, I can't think of a worse place to be a resident.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need one in CA either (but you do have to have your own license to proceed to R3). Honestly, one way's no better/worse than another.

Also, having done med school in NYC, I can't think of a worse place to be a resident.

I had heard that yes, so that was one of the reasons I ranked NY programs lower than I would have in part. I had heard horror stories and how much work had to be done due to lazy nurses, etc. The state I am in is notoriously difficult for providing licenses, but I was shocked that my license for training went through literally in less than a week, so I was thrilled. But i spent weeks dreading the process.

I had heard that yes, so that was one of the reasons I ranked NY programs lower than I would have in part. I had heard horror stories and how much work had to be done due to lazy nurses, etc. The state I am in is notoriously difficult for providing licenses, but I was shocked that my license for training went through literally in less than a week, so I was thrilled. But i spent weeks dreading the process.
It's been the opposite scenario for me. I'm holding my breath hoping that my license comes out before July 1st.

Granted that's more about my school and their policies, but my state has an 8 week processing time minimum.

It's been the opposite scenario for me. I'm holding my breath hoping that my license comes out before July 1st.

Granted that's more about my school and their policies, but my state has an 8 week processing time minimum.

Wow what state is that? 8 week for a training license?

hey

thanks
For clarification:

1) programs will have different rules regarding licensure. We were required as senior residents to have a full/unrestricted license and DEA so that we could write scripts for discharge medications when attendings weren't around.

2) given #1, not all licensure is for moonlighting but it necessary for moonlighting; this is not an option for you (see below)

3) as an IMG, you are required to spend a certain number of years in residency training before you are eligible for the license. As noted here, New York requires 3 years of residency for you before you are eligible.

4) your program may require you to pass Step 3 at some point before 3 years are up.

5) assuming you are in a 3 year residency, you will not be eligible for a full license until after you complete residency.

6) New York state does not require a training license at this point in time.

Weren't they backlogged for months last year? What ever happened with that - did some residents start late, or did they manage to get it all done before July 1?
I honestly have no idea. Was that for temporary licenses as well as the full licenses or just the full licenses?

I also wonder if that 8 week time is a result of the delays they've had in the past.

I honestly have no idea. Was that for temporary licenses as well as the full licenses or just the full licenses?

I also wonder if that 8 week time is a result of the delays they've had in the past.

Oh IL, well when I got my training license in IL, it took literally 2 weeks for them to process everything. When I needed it verified last year, it took about a month, but that's in part because the post office lost something I sent it. The whole 8 week thing I think is typical IL BS, I highly doubt it they will make you wait that long. You will likely get it much sooner.

The whole thing about being backlogged was in part to create political pressure to re-hire some of the people they had laid off, but people started on time and they hired a number of the people they had let go. It did not in practice create the chaos they were hoping for.

For clarification:

1) programs will have different rules regarding licensure. We were required as senior residents to have a full/unrestricted license and DEA so that we could write scripts for discharge medications when attendings weren't around.

2) given #1, not all licensure is for moonlighting but it necessary for moonlighting; this is not an option for you (see below)

3) as an IMG, you are required to spend a certain number of years in residency training before you are eligible for the license. As noted here, New York requires 3 years of residency for you before you are eligible.

4) your program may require you to pass Step 3 at some point before 3 years are up.

5) assuming you are in a 3 year residency, you will not be eligible for a full license until after you complete residency.

6) New York state does not require a training license at this point in time.

Wow, thanks WS. Super helpful as always.

hey

thanks

As others have said, NY requires three years of PGE before they will grant licenses for non-US trained physicians.
The other issue you may have is NY also currently requires that physicians have US citizenship or permanent residency before granting licensure.