DO school rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usbbr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are only 28 D.O. schools.
While we look at the individual school website to find out how good the schools are, do anyone of you know where I can find the ranking for all the D.O. school? AOA or U.S. news don't even have any ranking. If there is no rank exisit, what is the top 5 D.O. schools?

For these people who got accepted to school(s), how do you choose schools you are going?

Thank you in advance for infor that I can use to consider my future application.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't do this anymore . . . I'm starting to crack! :rolleyes:

Rankings are a bunch of bullsh*t. It depends on what a school is being ranked for . . . highest MCAT, highest GPA, number of graduates in primary care, NIH funds . . . the list goes on. If you do a simple search under "osteopathic school rankings" you will find tons of threads on this topic, as it has been discussed ad nauseum on SDN.

Good Luck :luck:

#1 - Whichever school is the best "fit" for you.
#2 - Whichever school is the next best fit for you.
#3 - See #2.
#n+1 - repeat

There is no ranking of schools - either in the MD or DO arenas - that are legitimate. See prionsRbad's post.

Well said pRb.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a frequently asked question. While some purport to be able to "rank" schools, there isn't any official rank or universally accepted ranking system. If you were to accept some sort of rank listing of schools, you'd have to thoroughly understand the criteria that was used. Otherwise, it isn't going to be that meaningful or useful for you, in my humble opinion.

Since there aren't that many osteopathic medical schools, I encourage you to come up with your own system for ranking the schools, rather than soliciting others for theirs. First, find out which criteria are important for you. For example, if I were again choosing a school to attend, I would use, as one of the several criteria, the percentage of graduates who receive their first choice of residency during the match. Some people think that curriculum style, research focus and opportunities, availability of undergraduate fellowships, the possibility of dual degrees, COA, reputation, school mission, personal fit, and location are important, too. Whatever floats your boat. I tend to think of medical school as preparation for residency, so I'd choose the one that I thought would prepare me the best and would help land me the best residency, even though a lot of that is based on personal preparation as well.

Anyway, you get the point. Come up with some criteria, do some research, and rank your own choices. Good luck!

There are only 28 D.O. schools.
While we look at the individual school website to find out how good the schools are, do anyone of you know where I can find the ranking for all the D.O. school? AOA or U.S. news don't even have any ranking. If there is no rank exisit, what is the top 5 D.O. schools?

For these people who got accepted to school(s), how do you choose schools you are going?

Thank you in advance for infor that I can use to consider my future application.

The US News DOES rank DO schools. It is intermixed within the MD schools, but you can look and see which schools are the most highly ranked.

There are some that complain about the validity of the US News rankings, but this commonly comes from those at the unranked schools......

There are some that complain about the validity of the US News rankings, but this commonly comes from those at the unranked schools......

I have no problem with the USNWR rankings. They are but one resource and people do use them. I do, however, think that one would be slightly foolish to rely on the rankings without thoroughly understanding them. You are choosing a medical school that is going to impact you for four and sometimes more years... I'd want to find out what is most important for me and then screen schools myself, rather than simply accepting a list that I feel no connection with.

Anyway... I digress.

#1 - Whichever school is the best "fit" for you.
#2 - Whichever school is the next best fit for you.
#3 - See #2.
#n+1 - repeat

There is no ranking of schools - either in the MD or DO arenas - that are legitimate. See prionsRbad's post.

Well said pRb.

Along the same lines:
#1- the one that accepts you
#2-#5- the other ones that accept you
If none of this is applicable then all schools you applied to fall to the bottom 5. :smuggrin:

I'm gonna put myself out there and say that I know which school is worst...Rocky Vista University.

I'm gonna put myself out there and say that I know which school is worst...Rocky Vista University.

Dont be so harsh, if that school was bought up by another school in Colorado or went non-profit (and for the love of all that is holy CHANGE THE NAME), it could become a very popular school.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCI5Z43MJ0w&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

well there are many parameters by which you can rank the schools besides GPA. How about ranking the schools based on the best education and social change... i.e. they accept the people with worst MCAT/GPA turn them into one of the best doctors. I think they did with college rankings and schools like Harvard were in 40s or 50s. Also which schools are the best bang for the buck?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT turn this thread into one that was closed already. It is, at the very least, unprofessional to put down another medical school.

Since we all desire to attend (or do attend) medical school, perhaps we should all practice our professional behaviors.

Oh - and I await an apology for the RVU comment. You are entitled to opinion, professionally stated. Not reckless unsubstantiated slander.

Reckless unsubstantiated slander? He posted on a premed message board, he's not a politician, news anchor, or celebrity.

The only opinions that were voiced were that one person thought that one particular school was at the bottom of the osteopathic schools. Then another person noted that part of the reason it's unpopular is that it's for-profit and that it's name is a little weird.

I think a warning that this thread will be locked if it turns into a RVU bashing thread is sufficient. No apology should be required.

Do NOT turn this thread into one that was closed already. It is, at the very least, unprofessional to put down another medical school.

Since we all desire to attend (or do attend) medical school, perhaps we should all practice our professional behaviors.

Well said, ShyRem. :thumbup:

Reckless unsubstantiated slander? He posted on a premed message board, he's not a politician, news anchor, or celebrity.

The only opinions that were voiced were that one person thought that one particular school was at the bottom of the osteopathic schools. Then another person noted that part of the reason it's unpopular is that it's for-profit and that it's name is a little weird.

I think a warning that this thread will be locked if it turns into a RVU bashing thread is sufficient. No apology should be required.

Seconded.

Agreed! This is a forum of opinions, do not silence them because they are in contrast to your own.

The US News DOES rank DO schools. It is intermixed within the MD schools, but you can look and see which schools are the most highly ranked.

PCOM along with a few other schools choose not to participate in USNWR rankings... take that into consideration.

I ranked schools on my own, based on what was most important to me. be a stereotypical dorky pre-med and go make a spreadsheet.

obviously schools to which you arent accepted will immediately be thrown to the bottom. haha.

Many threads like this one end up with posts to the effect of:

#1 My school
(#2-28) All other schools

In a sense that is true. As mentioned above, its really all about individual fit. To me KCOM is the top DO school because it is the best fit for me. Others would fall in behind KCOM. For example: Sure PCOM is awesome, but my husband would be miserable in Philly, whereas he likes Kirksville (Yes, he's a country boy - grew up on a cattle ranch) so KCOM > PCOM in my little world.

Its up to you to get out the spreadsheet (yes, all pre-meds, be they osteo or allo, are nerds so we all have spreadsheets) and figure out what traits you desire in a medical school.

PCOM along with a few other schools choose not to participate in USNWR rankings... take that into consideration.

There aren't any MD schools who disregard their national ranking based on non-participation of other schools. There is no reason for DO schools to do this either.

It is PCOM's loss...

And yet, though I could be wrong about this as I'm no expert, PCOM is regarded among the best DO schools.

USNews has 2 rankings -- research and primary care. Research is primarily determined by how much NIH funding a school gets, and primary care is primarily determined by how many grads of the school go into primary care. IMO, neither are good ways of assessing the quality of a school.

As for the topic at hand, it's been discussed a lot here. :eek: Do a search, and you'll see just how varied the opinions are.

Who honestly cares about any this? The chance of any such ranking having any effect on anyone's residency chances are absolutely 0%, absolute. We all have to pass the boards. Most schools hover around 93-95% passage rate. Some schools exhibit the higher end of this range. But it's like one or two percent. Anyone who thinks a minor statistical variation like that will have any effect on their board score is totally not realizing what it takes to get a good score. Far more important questions are: do you like lecture format or pbl, do you want more time in class or less. Bradenton has good board scores and they have like all pbl. The school I like has big lecture requirements and decent board scores.

The only thing worth thinking about when assessing the schools besides, Who you mesh with? is whether they have shoddy rotations. I'm with some critics of osteopathic education here. Any medical school that has shoddy rotations should be put on probation and then shut down. What kind of product are we sending to residencies?

Of course, I have a hard time figuring out which of these schools are hiding these crap rotations. It almost seems like, for every school--and I mean every one--you can find people who say the rotations are bad, and some that say they're the best. It's weird. I've heard that PCOM has the best rotations and that some its rotations are crap. I've also heard this about NYCOM and about Nova. Maybe that means it's about one's personal initiative; I don't know.

But anyone who even begins thinking that any residency program director, attending, patient, or potential co-doc gives a poop about where you went to DO school is kidding themselves. It's dick measuring contest, and a foolish one given the populist spirit that is supposed to animate the osteopathics.

Let's grow up here. When you apply to residency, they want to see that you are a top performer. They don't care where you went. Gunners prevail over the mediocre, no matter where the latter went to school.

The only thing worth thinking about when assessing the schools besides, Who you mesh with? is whether they have shoddy rotations. I'm with some critics of osteopathic education here. Any medical school that has shoddy rotations should be put on probation and then shut down. What kind of product are we sending to residencies?

Agreed.

Of course, I have a hard time figuring out which of these schools are hiding these crap rotations. It almost seems like, for every school--and I mean every one--you can find people who say the rotations are bad, and some that say they're the best. It's weird. I've heard that PCOM has the best rotations and that some its rotations are crap. I've also heard this about NYCOM and about Nova. Maybe that means it's about one's personal initiative; I don't know.

Of course there will always be some crappy rotations at all schools. The thing to look for is how many rotations are crappy. Some schools will only have a few that are bad, others will have many more, and I think this should be looked at very carefully by those selecting schools.

USNews has 2 rankings -- research and primary care. Research is primarily determined by how much NIH funding a school gets, and primary care is primarily determined by how many grads of the school go into primary care. IMO, neither are good ways of assessing the quality of a school.

As for the topic at hand, it's been discussed a lot here. :eek: Do a search, and you'll see just how varied the opinions are.

You might research the methodology more thoroughly. There is an entire panel of qualities for a national rank. It is a common misconception that the ranking is based on "how many enter primary care," etc...

Who honestly cares about any this? The chance of any such ranking having any effect on anyone's residency chances are absolutely 0%, absolute. We all have to pass the boards. Most schools hover around 93-95% passage rate. Some schools exhibit the higher end of this range. But it's like one or two percent. Anyone who thinks a minor statistical variation like that will have any effect on their board score is totally not realizing what it takes to get a good score. Far more important questions are: do you like lecture format or pbl, do you want more time in class or less. Bradenton has good board scores and they have like all pbl. The school I like has big lecture requirements and decent board scores.

But anyone who even begins thinking that any residency program director, attending, patient, or potential co-doc gives a poop about where you went to DO school is kidding themselves. It's dick measuring contest, and a foolish one given the populist spirit that is supposed to animate the osteopathics.

Let's grow up here. When you apply to residency, they want to see that you are a top performer. They don't care where you went. Gunners prevail over the mediocre, no matter where the latter went to school.

To continue on this argument:

If you shoot for just passing the boards, you won't be getting into any residency either. Looking at a school for board pass rate is absolutely stupid, but you will find this commonplace.

You can have one school with a 100% board pass rate, and all scores are borderline.

You can have another school with a 95% pass rate, and 95% are exceptional scores. The 5% that failed had personal matters going on at the time of the exam.

Obviously the second school better prepared a majority of the students.

Don't let schools touting their board pass rate fool you.

LOOK at where people match. See if a large number of graduates are accepted into competitive MD residencies, or if they just stick around in the residencies offered by their own program, where they are given preference...

Rock,

That is another good reason why the board scores are misleading as an indicator of school quality.

I would question using solely the MD representation on the match list, though, because, looking at the lists that I collected during interviews, many appear very similar: similar in % that went MD and the general "prestige" of the names. So how do you discern between three or four lists that, according to the indicators in question, are virtually indistinguishable?

There is one clear outlier, though, when one privileges the frequency of allopathic matches as an indicator of a school's success: TCOM. One TCOM student posted a while ago that like 70% of the class went solely allopathic in the match. That's nuts. (As I've said elsewhere, they stand out for their research as well.)

Nevertheless, the problem with the MD indicator is that it does presume that most of the class would prefer MD residencies. And while this may be true to an extent, some students have priorities in the match above landing an allopathic residency. Some have marriages and geographic preferences, some want to stay where they've rotated. In the tough specialties like ortho and derm, osteos are more likely to match and then get pulled out of the allopathic match. And believe it or not, some people like osteopathic residencies. So, while the frequency of allopathic residencies on the match lists is one indicator, it's far from comprehensive, and across some groups of match lists, it's totally unilluminating.

Rock,

That is another good reason why the board scores are misleading as an indicator of school quality.

I would question using solely the MD representation on the match list, though, because, looking at the lists that I collected during interviews, many appear very similar: similar in % that went MD and the general "prestige" of the names. So how do you discern between three or four lists that, according to the indicators in question, are virtually indistinguishable?

There is one clear outlier, though, when one privileges the frequency of allopathic matches as an indicator of a school's success: TCOM. One TCOM student posted a while ago that like 70% of the class went solely allopathic in the match. That's nuts. (As I've said elsewhere, they stand out for their research as well.)

Nevertheless, the problem with the MD indicator is that it does presume that most of the class would prefer MD residencies. And while this may be true to an extent, some students have priorities in the match above landing an allopathic residency. Some have marriages and geographic preferences, some want to stay where they've rotated. In the tough specialties like ortho and derm, osteos are more likely to match and then get pulled out of the allopathic match. And believe it or not, some people like osteopathic residencies. So, while the frequency of allopathic residencies on the match lists is one indicator, it's far from comprehensive, and across some groups of match lists, it's totally unilluminating.

Using the percentage of allopathic matches as a gauge to mark how good TCOM really is would be a false presumption.

There are 8 medical schools in Texas. TCOM, the only DO school in the state, would be expected to possess 20% of the residencies in the state. However, the actual amount is much less, due to the closure of their hospital. In addition, there are several key residencies absent, such as emergency medicine.

In contrast, the neighboring OSU-COM is the only DO school in Oklahoma, and 1 of 2 total medical schools. HOWEVER, this school possesses closer to 50% of the residencies in the state.

Going off of percentages, you would expect a much larger percentage of OSU-COM students to enter the AOA match than TCOM. However, this doesn't even take into account sheer volume of residencies.

Percentages aside, there are physically many more allopathic residencies in Texas than Oklahoma. As a result, the opportunities there abound.

With that being said, 50% of the OSU-COM class typically enters the allopathic match, but many have to go out-of-state, due to the numbers issue. The TCOM students already have the upper hand at the many more opportunities in Texas, due to already being in-state.

You might research the methodology more thoroughly. There is an entire panel of qualities for a national rank. It is a common misconception that the ranking is based on "how many enter primary care," etc...

True, there are subtle adjustments in some categories, such as peer assesment gains 0.05 in weight and residency director's assesment loses 0.05. Faculty resources, MCAT, GPA and acceptance rate are changed very slightly as well. BUT, the primary difference in criteria that the research activity weight of 0.30 is totally replaced by percentage of graduates entering primary care. IOW, very little changes EXCEPT primary care rate....so, I'd have to say that Dr. Bagel was essentially correct. Primary care rate is the biggest factor.

No, it's not the only criteria, but it is a big part of the rankings. Scpod has been more specific there. :)

There aren't any MD schools who disregard their national ranking based on non-participation of other schools. There is no reason for DO schools to do this either.

It is PCOM's loss...

LOL and PCOM has such a huge loss. Last I checked PCOM surpassed EVERY other DO school in terms of volume of applications... Last year it was over 5300 this year it surpassed that...

To continue on this argument:

If you shoot for just passing the boards, you won't be getting into any residency either. Looking at a school for board pass rate is absolutely stupid, but you will find this commonplace.

You can have one school with a 100% board pass rate, and all scores are borderline.

You can have another school with a 95% pass rate, and 95% are exceptional scores. The 5% that failed had personal matters going on at the time of the exam.

Obviously the second school better prepared a majority of the students.

Don't let schools touting their board pass rate fool you.

LOOK at where people match. See if a large number of graduates are accepted into competitive MD residencies, or if they just stick around in the residencies offered by their own program, where they are given preference...

What a load of ****. If you barely pass the boards, you will still get a residency. It just might be Family Med in podunk, minnesota/nebraska/wyoming.

Rest of the post is good though.

I think podunk is a lovely city.

LOL and PCOM has such a huge loss. Last I checked PCOM surpassed EVERY other DO school in terms of volume of applications... Last year it was over 5300 this year it surpassed that...

I'd like to see you argue that PCOM is a better school than TCOM...

What a load of ****. If you barely pass the boards, you will still get a residency. It just might be Family Med in podunk, minnesota/nebraska/wyoming.

If you are aiming to do family medicine, then fine.

How sad...

My weiner is longer than your weiner.

IMO, these places have pretty competitive, rigorous training spots for full-scope family medicine, especially rural tracks.

It can't be overstated enough. Cost, Cost, Cost. The doctors I know will tell you that the basic science education at most medical schools is basically the same the first two years.

After that, start looking at who can get you into the residencies you want to be in and other criteria.

It can't be overstated enough. Cost, Cost, Cost. The doctors I know will tell you that the basic science education at most medical schools is basically the same the first two years.

After that, start looking at who can get you into the residencies you want to be in and other criteria.

Agree with cost assessment, WVPanther, and AGAIN, TCOM comes in 1st place :laugh:

I went to TCOM, BTW, but they are not endorsing me for this thread :thumbup:

I applied to both DO and MD schools, both in Tx and outside, and despite having acceptances to excellent schools outside of Tx, the differences in tuition (in-state) alone made me decide to drop acceptances to out of state schools (and even cancel some interviews).

I must say, 6800 bucks a year beats 35K to 40K per year by several miles. While I hate having loans to pay off, I can't even imagine what it would be like having several times what I have now... :eek:

Oh - and I await an apology for the RVU comment. You are entitled to opinion, professionally stated. Not reckless unsubstantiated slander.

So it's okay to debate about which school is best, but the opposite is wrong? Hey I know...let's give all the kids trophies just for PLAYING soccer...oh wait...

Each osteopathic medical school serves as a symbol of osteopathic education and the profession as a whole. I believe that bastardizing a school at its outset send a poor message to our MD brothers and sisters and goes against years of well established tradition and excellence - regardless of what sort of graduates it pumps out. By it's very nature as a for profit school, I deem it the worst. If you don't like it, take it up with George Mycheskiw or better yet, Abraham Flexner himself.

Here's an excerpt from a letter to the editor of the JAOA back in 2007. George Mycheskiw is a very well respected DO that really cares about the integrity and quality of osteopathic medical and post-graduate education. He's a hero of mine. The link to the entire article on the Flexner Report and how it applies to medical schools now is here: http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/107/7/246-b

"Flexner criticized the proliferation of proprietary schools, which had limited laboratory and hospital facilities and were staffed by part-time faculty. The profit motive of these schools was particularly distasteful to Flexner, who wrote, "Such exploitation of medical education...is strangely inconsistent with the social aspects of medical practice. The overwhelming importance of preventive medicine, sanitation, and public health indicates that in modern life the medical profession is an organ differentiated by society for its highest purposes, not a business to be exploited."9 In response to Flexner's critique, all for-profit medical schools were closed by 1930.

The new Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM) in Parker, Colo, is the ultimate expression of how far the osteopathic medical profession has fallen. Now that it has received preaccreditation status by the American Osteopathic Association's Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOA COCA), RVUCOM is on its way to becoming the first contemporary for-profit medical school—osteopathic or allopathic—in the United States in nearly 100 years.

This institution is a for-profit, limited liability corporation,13 and I am concerned about the potential conflicts of interest of some of the people affiliated with it. For example, the "chancellor" of RVUCOM14 is also president and chief operating officer of the for-profit American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine in Cupecoy, St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles, though he resides in Coral Gables, Fla, where he is also a real estate investor.15 He is also a board member and treasurer of the International Association of Medical Colleges, a recently formed association of offshore colleges that aims to set up its own accreditation standards for foreign medical schools as an alternative to the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).16 In addition, one of the RVUCOM trustees serves as clinical dean for the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine.

It appears that COCA may be permitting what the LCME has thus far prevented—a for-profit medical school on US soil. Is this damaging precedent being set in an attempt to address a predicted primary care shortage—or to make money? It is very disturbing that COCA, under its second requirement for preaccreditation, permits the incorporation of a COM as "either a nonprofit or for-profit corporation."

How's that for unsubstantiated slander???

So it's okay to debate about which school is best, but the opposite is wrong?

How can you possibly debate that RVUCOM is the WORST school when it has yet to provide any statistics for which an argument can be made?

Its tax status makes it the worst DO school in the nation?????????

Whatever, dude......

How can you possibly debate that RVUCOM is the WORST school when it has yet to provide any statistics for which an argument can be made?

Its tax status makes it the worst DO school in the nation?????????

Whatever, dude......

What a thought provoking rebuttal. Well thought out. You clearly didn't read my post carefully. I'll take Flexner on my side any day. I'm standing on the shoulders of a giant and THE icon of modern medical education. You're standing on the shoulders of a guy who runs shady for profit schools in the carribean. I suggest you read the Flexner Report this summer before school starts.

What a thought provoking rebuttal. Well thought out. You clearly didn't read my post carefully. I'll take Flexner on my side any day. I'm standing on the shoulders of a giant and THE icon of modern medical education. You're standing on the shoulders of a guy who runs shady for profit schools in the carribean. I suggest you read the Flexner Report this summer before school starts.

I'm actually not standing on anyones shoulders - my own two feet work just fin, thank you.

If you actually do the research on what the Flexner report actually was about, and stretch beyond what your great Dr. M forcefeeds you, you might be able to grasp that Flexner opposed proprietary medical schools that were, at that time, run by small groups of docs or even one doc with no standardization of training. His recommendations were more about standardizing medical training - a task that he felt was best done by schools being affiliated with Universities, with common admissions standards, and universal curriculum:

"At the core of Flexner's view was the notion that formal analytic reasoning, the kind of thinking integral to the natural sciences, should hold pride of place in the intellectual training of physicians. This idea was pioneered at Harvard University, the University of Michigan, and the University of Pennsylvania in the 1880s but was most fully expressed in the educational program at Johns Hopkins University, which Flexner regarded as the ideal for medical education.8 In addition to a scientific foundation for medical education, Flexner envisioned a clinical phase of education in academically oriented hospitals, where thoughtful clinicians would pursue research stimulated by the questions that arose in the course of patient care and teach their students to do the same. To Flexner, research was not an end in its own right; it was important because it led to better patient care and teaching. Indeed, he subscribed to the motto, "Think much; publish little".....

"No one would cheer more loudly for a change in medical education than Abraham Flexner. He recognized that medical education had to reconfigure itself in response to changing scientific, social, and economic circumstances in order to flourish from one generation to the next. The flexibility and freedom to change — indeed, the mandate to do so — were part of Flexner's essential message. He would undoubtedly support the fundamental restructuring of medical education needed today. Indeed, we suspect he would find it long overdue."

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]American Medical Education 100 Years after the Flexner Report[/SIZE].

[SIZE=+1]Molly Cooke, M.D., David M. Irby, Ph.D., William Sullivan, Ph.D., and Kenneth M. Ludmerer, M.D.[/SIZE] NEJM

Status
Not open for further replies.