1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

do schools accept january pcat?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by lsexie, Dec 3, 2008.

1. lsexie

lsexie Pharmacist
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    i heard from someone that if you have traken the pcat before, then all schools will still review ur january pcat scores since you are not a first time test taker, how true is this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HmoobRX

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Sorry don't have an answer for you, but I'm interested as well. I basically bombed the PCAT in October and my scores went down. I received a letter from one of the pharm schools that I need to sit for January PCAT for them to consider my application competitive. I don't know if this helps any.

4. thephoenician88

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    it's not all the schools. I do know that they prefer that january isn't your first time taking it though. Otherwise it's specific per school.

5. wolfpackhal

wolfpackhal UNC PharmD class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Some do, some do not. I would check with each school you are applying to. Usually the answer to this question is found on the FAQs pages of individual pharmacy school websites.

6. PrepharmKID

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Interesting. What school was this if you dont mind my asking?

7. HmoobRX

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Sure. South University in GA.

8. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar
    Physician Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are many schools that take a january PCAT, but you are pushing it a little by taking it in Janurary... but if you have your file in already and verified... and only waiting on the PCAT, then by all means.

Note- the PCAT is not as important as your grades... it definitely holds far less weight than the MCATS.

9. Tell that to Mercer...

10. alenadoma

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    ummmmm not sure how true that is

11. TpharmD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am somewhat relieved since I am in same situation.
    I emailed few of the university.
    Reply from University of Minnesota: It is possible that we might see your January PCAT scores, but you should not plan on having them included in your application. We do not have a minimum PCAT score to apply, although the average PCAT score of admitted students is about 80 composite percentile.

Howard University: .Not for students taking it for the first time.

12. HmoobRX

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I wonder how lucky it would it be if you were that student that scored the 19 on the PCAT last year and got into UMN? What are the chances, right?

13. Antimony

Antimony Class of 2013
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I disagree, the PCAT is very important. It is a tool used to define your competency and knowledge on the appropriate subject matter. Many schools value this test, and it can be a major determinant on your application.

14. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The PCAT can be your saving grace if you have a mediocre GPA. And yes, schools do accept the January PCAT if their deadline is after the day of the PCAT.

I know that you're going to ask, but the PCAT is only 1 week away from the deadline, just set the PCAT settings on PharmCAS and submit it. Those deadlines, are deadlines for you to E-Submit, not deadlines for the schools to receive the information.

Once PharmCAS has all your information, they will send it to the school. So, your information will probably be received by schools at the end of February/Early March.