do schools accept january pcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsexie

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i heard from someone that if you have traken the pcat before, then all schools will still review ur january pcat scores since you are not a first time test taker, how true is this?

Members don't see this ad.

i heard from someone that if you have traken the pcat before, then all schools will still review ur january pcat scores since you are not a first time test taker, how true is this?

Sorry don't have an answer for you, but I'm interested as well. I basically bombed the PCAT in October and my scores went down. I received a letter from one of the pharm schools that I need to sit for January PCAT for them to consider my application competitive. I don't know if this helps any.

it's not all the schools. I do know that they prefer that january isn't your first time taking it though. Otherwise it's specific per school.

Some do, some do not. I would check with each school you are applying to. Usually the answer to this question is found on the FAQs pages of individual pharmacy school websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry don't have an answer for you, but I'm interested as well. I basically bombed the PCAT in October and my scores went down. I received a letter from one of the pharm schools that I need to sit for January PCAT for them to consider my application competitive. I don't know if this helps any.

Interesting. What school was this if you dont mind my asking?

There are many schools that take a january PCAT, but you are pushing it a little by taking it in Janurary... but if you have your file in already and verified... and only waiting on the PCAT, then by all means.

Note- the PCAT is not as important as your grades... it definitely holds far less weight than the MCATS.

There are many schools that take a january PCAT, but you are pushing it a little by taking it in Janurary... but if you have your file in already and verified... and only waiting on the PCAT, then by all means.

Note- the PCAT is not as important as your grades... it definitely holds far less weight than the MCATS.

Tell that to Mercer...

ummmmm not sure how true that is

I am somewhat relieved since I am in same situation.
I emailed few of the university.
Reply from University of Minnesota: It is possible that we might see your January PCAT scores, but you should not plan on having them included in your application. We do not have a minimum PCAT score to apply, although the average PCAT score of admitted students is about 80 composite percentile.

Howard University: .Not for students taking it for the first time.

I am somewhat relieved since I am in same situation.
I emailed few of the university.
Reply from University of Minnesota: It is possible that we might see your January PCAT scores, but you should not plan on having them included in your application. We do not have a minimum PCAT score to apply, although the average PCAT score of admitted students is about 80 composite percentile.

Howard University: .Not for students taking it for the first time..

I wonder how lucky it would it be if you were that student that scored the 19 on the PCAT last year and got into UMN? What are the chances, right?

T

I disagree, the PCAT is very important. It is a tool used to define your competency and knowledge on the appropriate subject matter. Many schools value this test, and it can be a major determinant on your application.

I disagree, the PCAT is very important. It is a tool used to define your competency and knowledge on the appropriate subject matter. Many schools value this test, and it can be a major determinant on your application.

The PCAT can be your saving grace if you have a mediocre GPA. And yes, schools do accept the January PCAT if their deadline is after the day of the PCAT.

I know that you're going to ask, but the PCAT is only 1 week away from the deadline, just set the PCAT settings on PharmCAS and submit it. Those deadlines, are deadlines for you to E-Submit, not deadlines for the schools to receive the information.

Once PharmCAS has all your information, they will send it to the school. So, your information will probably be received by schools at the end of February/Early March.