DO schools and AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which DO schools out there are affiliated with the AMA?

Do all DO schools require you to do your rotations at an osteopathic hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

bravotwozero said:

None, the AMA is for physicians that practice after they graduate. This includes M.D.'s AND D.O.'s if they wish to be part. To the second question I will defer to the more knowledgeable but I am pretty sure you can do your electives anywhere that allows you to.

In this day and age, there really are no "osteopathic hospitals".

The answer to the actual hospitals depends on where you medical school has affililitations. For example, St.Mikes in Newark, NJ has afficliations with UMDNJ-NJ Med, UNECOM, KCOM, & St George's. Schools vary on elective time that can be done out of there affiliations.

bravotwozero said:

Members don't see this ad :)
bravotwozero said:

There are no AMA affiliated schools. The MD schools are LCME affiliated.
The DO schools are AOA affiliated.

Some DO schools require you to do your core rotations at the school's affiliated hospitals, but you are allowed to do all of the electives anywhere. Some schools are affiliated with AOA hospitals, and some are affiliated with LCME hospitals. Many are affiliated with both.

njdevil said:
In this day and age, there really are no "osteopathic hospitals".

The answer to the actual hospitals depends on where you medical school has affililitations. For example, St.Mikes in Newark, NJ has afficliations with UMDNJ-NJ Med, UNECOM, KCOM, & St George's. Schools vary on elective time that can be done out of there affiliations.

Incorrect. OSU-COM's primary institution, Tulsa Regional Medical Center, is affiliated with the AOA, and is the largest osteopathic hospital in the nation.

KCOM has an osteopathic hospital on campus.

bravotwozero said:

Nice avatar.

Good movie eh'.

OSUdoc08 said:
Incorrect. OSU-COM's primary institution, Tulsa Regional Medical Center, is affiliated with the AOA, and is the largest osteopathic hospital in the nation.

KCOM has an osteopathic hospital on campus.

are there any MD's at all on staff at these hospitals?

add: there are MD's on staff at at least TRMC... I think he was referring more to a hospital with only DO's allowed to be on staff, like way back when...

jonb12997 said:
I know for Tulsa Regional there are MD's and DO's on staff. Just because these hospitals have osteopathic relationships, there aren't enough osteopaths to staff all relationship hospitals.

jonb12997 said:

add: there are MD's on staff at at least TRMC... I think he was referring more to a hospital with only DO's allowed to be on staff, like way back when...

There are MD's on staff at TRMC, but the majority is DO's.

This is irrelevant, since it is in fact an "osteopathic hospital." Check the AOA for listings of osteopathic hospitals, and you will find TRMC.

To use your logic, however, there are really no "allopathic hospitals" either.

OSUdoc08 said:
Some DO schools require you to do your core rotations at the school's affiliated hospitals, but you are allowed to do all of the electives anywhere. Some schools are affiliated with AOA hospitals, and some are affiliated with LCME hospitals. Many are affiliated with both.

Hi OSUdoc,

Thank you for responding. How do I find out which schools are affiliated with LCME hospitals, and which aren't? If you have any useful links, please share.

I remember this confused me the first time I started thinking about it. I think the confusion comes from the similarity of the names - AOA - controls DO hospitals/residencies ---> AMA - controls MD hospitals/residencies.

OSUdoc08 said:
There are MD's on staff at TRMC, but the majority is DO's.

This is irrelevant, since it is in fact an "osteopathic hospital." Check the AOA for listings of osteopathic hospitals, and you will find TRMC.

To use your logic, however, there are really no "allopathic hospitals" either.
I guess we're both right... in the way I think we're talking about them, no, there aren't any more osteopathic hospitals, in the sense that "back in the day" since DO's couldn't be on staff at the "big" hospitals, they started their own hospitals and called them, for example, "osteopathic hospital of maine",

whereas in the way you're talking about them, the AOA does accredite hospitals so, I guess could you could say that, Yes there are osteopathic hospitals. :)

jonb12997 said:
I guess we're both right... in the way I think we're talking about them, no, there aren't any more osteopathic hospitals, in the sense that "back in the day" since DO's couldn't be on staff at the "big" hospitals, they started their own hospitals and called them, for example, "osteopathic hospital of maine",

whereas in the way you're talking about them, the AOA does accredite hospitals so, I guess could you could say that, Yes there are osteopathic hospitals. :)

A quick google of "osteopathic hospital" will give a list of hospitals with the word 'osteopathic' in the name of the institution.

(Just an FYI)

OSUdoc08 said:
A quick google of "osteopathic hospital" will give a list of hospitals with the word 'osteopathic' in the name of the institution.

sorry I tried to make a point... :rolleyes:

XKV said:
I remember this confused me the first time I started thinking about it. I think the confusion comes from the similarity of the names - AOA - controls DO hospitals/residencies ---> AMA - controls MD hospitals/residencies.
Actually, the ACGME controls allopathic residencies. The AMA is an umbrella organization with both MDs and DOs eligible to join and has chapters at most ostepathic and allopathic (as well as caribbean) medical schools. The controlling body for allopathic medical schools is the LCME.