do schools check up on you the year you apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.Pearlman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering whether schools check up on what you are doing the year you apply. Do they check your grades if you're still in college that year, or see what EC's you are doing. Does it really benefit u any to do good on classes that year or do some awesome EC's. Any suggestions would be helpful.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest kicking ass in all of your classes your senior year, and continue with your EC's. This all depends on if you get in where you want to go in like October or November. If you do get in somewhere early then I would suggest getting some B's to help even out the transcript and spend a lot of time at the bar.
FYI Most schools do want a transcript from you after fall semester/winter quarter grades come out.

wait, they want another transcript after the first semester has gone by. Are you serious? Well, in that case, does it really make a difference if I pull a 4.0 that semester, while doing some really awesome EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, late thought. Don't the schools check your transcripts before and already decide on you before your fall grades are in. If they look after recieving your second transcript (with the fall grades), do the new grades get averaged into the gpa they look at.

Basically, i want to know if its worth pulling a 4.0 next semester, in hopes that it improves my gpa from a 3.4 to 3.5.

Yes, doing well will only help your chances, while doing poorly will show them that you have a lack of motivation. I would not suggest adding on EC's at this point, just keeping up the ones you have.

FYI, Northwestern asked interviewees to bring a copy of their official transcript to the interview that has fall grades. :rolleyes: Uh ohhhhh for me! (I got a C in biochem last quarter)

Sometimes in interviews they ask you to update your file with anything extra you've done since you filled out your secondary. It is nice to have things to talk about then, like a job, voluteer opportunity, research, or award that you have received--something to add so you look like you are still motiviated.