Do schools know the other schools you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnson22

johnsons22
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if Med schools know the how many other schools you apply to. Is there any disadvantage, besides the cost, of applying to 20 schools?

Members don't see this ad.

1.> No, they don't know.

2.> Filling out secondaries sucks, don't waste time with schools you don't want to go to.

When you print out your AMCAS, it lists all the other schools, so I am assuming they see the list. I obviously don't know for sure though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools don't know who else you apply to until you are actually accepted into a program, except in the case of Tulane, who requires you to print out your AMCAS app and send it in with your secondary. Which sucks, considering the absurd number of schools I initially applied to. I hope they don't frown on being near the end of a loooooong list of other schools!

I don't think Tulane frowns on applying to lots of schools. I applied to 30 (I meant to not send in the AMCAS page that lists the schools, but I accidentally did send it in), and I got a Tulane interview invite last week.

UCLAstudent said:
I don't think Tulane frowns on applying to lots of schools. I applied to 30 (I meant to not send in the AMCAS page that lists the schools, but I accidentally did send it in), and I got a Tulane interview invite last week.

Good to know!

Johnson22 said:
I was wondering if Med schools know the how many other schools you apply to. Is there any disadvantage, besides the cost, of applying to 20 schools?

I think they do know. Or maybe they just know about the other schools in the area. When I was interviewing at Columbia last year, my interviewer looked at my file and commented that I had my Cornell interview the next day...

I think there's a sort of bum's rush on the part of schools to lock in the "great" students first, so knowing where you've applied/interviewed/been accepted would give them a feel for where they stand regarding securing you as a student.

Crazy stuff if they really do know all that. Perhaps some schools exchange info with at least some other schools. I dunno, though.

Bear1220 said:
I think they do know. Or maybe they just know about the other schools in the area. When I was interviewing at Columbia last year, my interviewer looked at my file and commented that I had my Cornell interview the next day...

Really? They would have no way of knowing that unless you somehow told them or they had contact with Cornell anyways. Wierd...

the other Dr. said:
Schools don't know who else you apply to until you are actually accepted into a program, except in the case of Tulane, who requires you to print out your AMCAS app and send it in with your secondary. Which sucks, considering the absurd number of schools I initially applied to. I hope they don't frown on being near the end of a loooooong list of other schools!

on the tulane app, it said u could cut out the section (on the AMCAS) that shows the other schools u applied to. no need them for them to see my long list. :)

ambrosia said:
Really? They would have no way of knowing that unless you somehow told them or they had contact with Cornell anyways. Wierd...

Yeah, it's true though. I didn't tell my interviewer anything about any other schools. It sort of threw me off guard so I just changed the topic because I didn't know what to make of it.

I went ahead and included the schools from my AMCAS that I was applying to on my Tulane app. I figured it might be to my advantage to let them know that pretty much every school I applied to was in the southeast.