Do schools look down on you if you've been Out of School for 3 yrs or more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biosailgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to apply for the 2006 cycle but graduated in 2002. I have decent stats though and should gain some dental shadowing experience this year and some more volunteer experience. Will they loook down on me for being out of school so long?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, and read...dental schools readily accept what they call "nontraditional" returning students. I know several people who have been out of college 5+ years going back to give dentistry a go. Everybody doesn't have their life goal set out the day they graduate college...plans change :) and thankfully, the schools tend to understand that.

Best Wishes,
beachluvr

biosailgirl said:
I'm going to apply for the 2006 cycle but graduated in 2002. I have decent stats though and should gain some dental shadowing experience this year and some more volunteer experience. Will they loook down on me for being out of school so long?

Not at all. If you have decent stats than your fine. In fact it may help you. You're that much older and more mature. I'd guess the average age of entering students is somewhere around 24-25.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you weren't home doing nothing for the 3+ years I don't think it'll

hurt your chances at all. In my case I served as a medic after college in my country's

army (ROK), and after being discharged worked as a science teacher for 3+ years for

kids who dropped out of high school. I can only say this helped me tremendously in

getting accepted to all the schools I applied to. (I only applied to 3)

You just have to demonstrate that you still have the ability to handle a rigorous course-load. A lot of non-traditional applicants have schedules that are more hectic than those of traditional college students. Your DAT marks should show that you still have an in-depth knowledge of science. Good Luck.

it will not hurt you. in fact i would say it will only help you.

take two candidates with exact same GPA's and DAT scores, from same college, same degree, and same quality of rec letters, etc... (you get the picture)... and i would say the person out of school for 3 years (assuming he/she is accomlishing something) will be chosen over the senior in undergrad.

Jone said:
it will not hurt you. in fact i would say it will only help you.

take two candidates with exact same GPA's and DAT scores, from same college, same degree, and same quality of rec letters, etc... (you get the picture)... and i would say the person out of school for 3 years (assuming he/she is accomlishing something) will be chosen over the senior in undergrad.

I agree 100% - "real" world experience is something school can't teach you yet can help you quite a bit.