DO Schools NOT On AACOMAS List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are more than 33 DO schools, right? Do the ones not on AACOMAS have their own application system? I'm not asking about one in particular, but if there really are only 33 schools (less, since many have multiple campuses that show up on AACOMAS) I might just hit every check box even if my GPA/MCAT aren't high enough.

Members don't see this ad.

I think TCOM is the only one not on aacomas. And if you are going to throw money away, send it to me. I need a new telescope.

Well if I'm already going to pay 975 to apply to 25 schools, I might as well pay 1231 to apply to all 33, right?

Is it worth it to apply to multiple campuses of the same school if both are OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
logically you are right, but in reality, some are so biased to a certain region or state that it isn't worth applying to. And apply to anywhere you want to go. So if you would attend either campus, apply to both.

Well if I'm already going to pay 975 to apply to 25 schools, I might as well pay 1231 to apply to all 33, right?

Is it worth it to apply to multiple campuses of the same school if both are OOS?

It's not just $1231... All those secondaries, many of them without any screening.... That's where the big bucks come out

yeah, you forgot the cost of secondaries.

I would avoid applying to VCOM, OSU-COM, TUCOM, MSU-COM, or PNWU because they all have pretty strong regional preference.

I know Ohio University has a 5 year practice in state clause so that in essence makes it OOS unfriendly.

Are there any schools I am forgetting?

I would avoid applying to VCOM, OSU-COM, TUCOM, MSU-COM, or PNWU because they all have pretty strong regional preference.

I know Ohio University has a 5 year practice in state clause so that in essence makes it OOS unfriendly.

i would also like to know :-x

any schools he is forgetting? :D

When people talk about regional preference, does that always mean in-state? Or just the region? For instance, does OSU-COM give preference to mid-westerners or only Ohio residents?

When people talk about regional preference, does that always mean in-state? Or just the region? For instance, does OSU-COM give preference to mid-westerners or only Ohio residents?

Regional= region lol....

Regional= region lol....

Then why does OSU-COM make you sign a 5 year agreement to practice in Ohio if you are OOS? Not everything is taken by a literal definition. Sometimes "regional preference" really means "in-state preference."

Then why does OSU-COM make you sign a 5 year agreement to practice in Ohio if you are OOS? Not everything is taken by a literal definition. Sometimes "regional preference" really means "in-state preference."

Region: An area or division, esp. part of a country or the world having definable characteristics but not always fixed boundaries.

Regional means the area around the school. Whether this stops at the state borders or continues into neighboring states depends on the individual school

Region: An area or division, esp. part of a country or the world having definable characteristics but not always fixed boundaries.

Regional means the area around the school. Whether this stops at the state borders or continues into neighboring states depends on the individual school

That's the answer I was looking for, not the "define: region" definition.

BTW, OSUCOM is Oklahoma State

OUCOM is Ohio

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think at some point quality will matter over quantity of applications. Completing 10-15 quality apps seems more worthwhile than 30 mediocre ones, not to mention the extra couple grand in primary/secondary fees. However, when applying next year I might feel differently.

I would think at some point quality will matter over quantity of applications. Completing 10-15 quality apps seems more worthwhile than 30 mediocre ones, not to mention the extra couple grand in primary/secondary fees. However, when applying next year I might feel differently.

I hear you, but you probably won't regret spending the extra money if you get into one of those schools that the extra money went to. Personally I have absolutely no preference where I end up. I just want to be in.

Here's how I'm looking at it.

Option 1: Spend $4k (probably won't be that much I hope) on primaries and secondaries and get in because I applied very broadly.

Option 2: Spend $2k on primaries and secondaries for a few schools and don't get in, then have to spend another $2k or more next year.

Last edited:
So what exactly is a secondary?

An application sent directly from a school to you. Some schools screen the primary applicants and send secondaries only to students they might be interested in interviewing. Other schools send one to every primary applicant probably as a way to make more money.

Basically it's just another essay you have to write.

An application sent directly from a school to you. Some schools screen the primary applicants and send secondaries only to students they might be interested in interviewing. Other schools send one to every primary applicant probably as a way to make more money.

Basically it's just another essay you have to write.

basically it's a way for schools to make more money lol

I hear you, but you probably won't regret spending the extra money if you get into one of those schools that the extra money went to. Personally I have absolutely no preference where I end up. I just want to be in.

Here's how I'm looking at it.

Option 1: Spend $4k (probably won't be that much I hope) on primaries and secondaries and get in because I applied very broadly.

Option 2: Spend $2k on primaries and secondaries for a few schools and don't get in, then have to spend another $2k or more next year.

Option 3: Spend $2k on primaries and secondaries for a good amount of schools and get in because you applied correctly.

You have a 3.0 and a 33. I think. That is too good to apply to the lower schools. Save some money there. Apply day 1 to 10-15 schools chosen properly. If no luck, add more schools quickly. I understand that you want to get in, but your scores aren't quite low enough to be blow money.

Option 3: Spend $2k on primaries and secondaries for a good amount of schools and get in because you applied correctly.

You have a 3.0 and a 33. I think. That is too good to apply to the lower schools. Save some money there. Apply day 1 to 10-15 schools chosen properly. If no luck, add more schools quickly. I understand that you want to get in, but your scores aren't quite low enough to be blow money.

This is too true... I ended up applying to 13 DO schools, got interview invites from all of them, but only went to 2 interviews (DMU/KCUMB), cancelled the rest, and got acceptances from both. Huge waste of cash for primary, and especially secondaries for all those extra schools. :rolleyes:

Your MCAT definitely compensates for your lower GPA. Apply to ~13 schools you like... you'll most likely get an interview.

But if we apply to all lower schools and leave the top schools, then in our second round of applications, we will both be late and below average.

And how long is it reasonable to wait before adding schools?

Come to think of it...when do we know if we got interview invitations?

This is too true... I ended up applying to 13 DO schools, got interview invites from all of them, but only went to 2 interviews (DMU/KCUMB), cancelled the rest, and got acceptances from both. Huge waste of cash for primary, and especially secondaries for all those extra schools. :rolleyes:

Your MCAT definitely compensates for your lower GPA. Apply to ~13 schools you like... you'll most likely get an interview.

It is still better to be safe than sorry. People may not interview as well as they think and consequently will need to attend more to have a better chance of getting in somewhere. But yea, 13 is plenty.

But if we apply to all lower schools and leave the top schools, then in our second round of applications, we will both be late and below average.

And how long is it reasonable to wait before adding schools?

Come to think of it...when do we know if we got interview invitations?

There's no set equation for how to go about this. Assuming you're complete at schools (including secondaries) by August, then you might want to consider adding more schools if it's November and you still have no invites. Just my opinion though... that's what I would do. It's completely relative.

You get invites by phone call. They'll call the number you put on your application. I think some schools will email you as well, to the email address you put on your app.

What do you mean "If no luck, add more schools quickly." By the time I realize I'm not getting an interview won't that already be very late in the cycle? I'm not trying to argue or anything, I just am really uninformed about the whole process.

There's no set equation for how to go about this. Assuming you're complete at schools (including secondaries) by August, then you might want to consider adding more schools if it's November and you still have no invites. Just my opinion though... that's what I would do. It's completely relative.

You get invites by phone call. They'll call the number you put on your application. I think some schools will email you as well, to the email address you put on your app.

My heart rate went up a little after reading both of you basically say that my (hopefully) 3.2GPA/3x MCAT will be good scores for DO schools. I haven't gotten my MCAT back yet, but I felt good about it and hopefully I kept up with my AAMC average.

If I work from 3PM-1130PM five days per week should I put my work number on my application or my cell number (or can I put both?). I don't get cell phone reception at all while I'm at work and I don't want a no-answer on my part to cost me an interview.

What do you mean "If no luck, add more schools quickly." By the time I realize I'm not getting an interview won't that already be very late in the cycle? I'm not trying to argue or anything, I just am really uninformed about the whole process.

If I work from 3PM-1130PM five days per week should I put my work number on my application or my cell number (or can I put both?). I don't get cell phone reception at all while I'm at work and I don't want a no-answer on my part to cost me an interview.

He means that if you haven't gotten an interview with the upper schools by October/Nov, add some of the lower-tier schools since they might invite you. Will you be late? Eh... sorta. But you still have a shot. The only thing you shouldn't do is do nothing.

I think you can put both... but make your cell phone number the primary one. They always leave a voicemail if you don't pick up... it doesn't look bad to them or anything. I think they understand that everyone can't always answer their phone, lol.

He means that if you haven't gotten an interview with the upper schools by October/Nov, add some of the lower-tier schools since they might invite you. Will you be late? Eh... sorta. But you still have a shot. The only thing you shouldn't do is do nothing.

I think you can put both... but make your cell phone number the primary one. They always leave a voicemail if you don't pick up... it doesn't look bad to them or anything. I think they understand that everyone can't always answer their phone, lol.

Ok thank you. So the reason not to apply to the lower schools initially is to save money, right? Also, assuming I do get interviews, how flexible are most schools on dates? I don't have any obligations besides work and school (no children, pets, etc) so I can pretty much leave on a whim, but I would like to try and group interviews together if the schools are nearby. Is it rude to tell school 1 that school 2 also offered me an interview and I would like to schedule them close together so I can minimize travel costs? I mean I know ADCOMs know we apply to more than just their school, but will they be offended if you mention another school to them?

Ok thank you. So the reason not to apply to the lower schools initially is to save money, right? Also, assuming I do get interviews, how flexible are most schools on dates? I don't have any obligations besides work and school (no children, pets, etc) so I can pretty much leave on a whim, but I would like to try and group interviews together if the schools are nearby. Is it rude to tell school 1 that school 2 also offered me an interview and I would like to schedule them close together so I can minimize travel costs? I mean I know ADCOMs know we apply to more than just their school, but will they be offended if you mention another school to them?

Do NOT mention another school to them... usually, they give you a set of dates and you get to choose. Or if they call you in October and give you times in November, you can always ask if there are any spots in December, January, February, etc. It's not always going to work out where you get to group your interviews together though...

Do NOT mention another school to them... usually, they give you a set of dates and you get to choose. Or if they call you in October and give you times in November, you can always ask if there are any spots in December, January, February, etc. It's not always going to work out where you get to group your interviews together though...

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I know the scheduling might not be favorable, but if possible I would like to get it all done as cheaply as I can.

How was your interview season before getting in?

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I know the scheduling might not be favorable, but if possible I would like to get it all done as cheaply as I can.

How was your interview season before getting in?

Uneventful. My DMU interview was first... went, fell in love with the school and decided if I got in, I'd cancel all my other interviews and go there. Went to KCUMB next since I hadn't gotten word back from DMU before then... funnily got my DMU acceptance email on my phone 10 minutes before my actual KCUMB interview. hah. Ended up getting accepted to KCUMB too, but I had already accepted the DMU offer.

Cancelled all other interviews.

Or even september. If you apply early, your app will be released in July. Based on my application season, I had received 75% of my interview offers by the end of august and the rest were by mid september. So you do research and see which schools you want to apply to. This will include 10-15 schools. If you don't have any luck by september, add the rest of the schools. That way if you are having luck you aren't wasting your money. It was a blessing, but at some point i thought, "this is too many interviews, I sure hope I know where I am going because I can't afford this." Same goes with secondaries, I didn't send in 3 of my secondaries because of the costs. I was running out of money and fast.

Uneventful. My DMU interview was first... went, fell in love with the school and decided if I got in, I'd cancel all my other interviews and go there. Went to KCUMB next since I hadn't gotten word back from DMU before then... funnily got my DMU acceptance email on my phone 10 minutes before my actual KCUMB interview. hah. Ended up getting accepted to KCUMB too, but I had already accepted the DMU offer.

Cancelled all other interviews.

It's great that you got your first choice :) Did you change your mind about DMU after MS1 (you just finished/are finishing up MS1 right)?

Or even september. If you apply early, your app will be released in July. Based on my application season, I had received 75% of my interview offers by the end of august and the rest were by mid september. So you do research and see which schools you want to apply to. This will include 10-15 schools. If you don't have any luck by september, add the rest of the schools. That way if you are having luck you aren't wasting your money. It was a blessing, but at some point i thought, "this is too many interviews, I sure hope I know where I am going because I can't afford this." Same goes with secondaries, I didn't send in 3 of my secondaries because of the costs. I was running out of money and fast.

I won't have the money to do secondaries/interviews very broadly either. Though I don't have many obligations besides food and rent, my hospital job pays peanuts. Can I ask what your application looked like? Were you a good enough applicant that you were confident you would get in somewhere and didn't need to fill out all your secondaries?

It's great that you got your first choice :) Did you change your mind about DMU after MS1 (you just finished/are finishing up MS1 right)?

I start my first year in August, lol. Still technically a premed.

I won't have the money to do secondaries/interviews very broadly either. Though I don't have many obligations besides food and rent, my hospital job pays peanuts. Can I ask what your application looked like? Were you a good enough applicant that you were confident you would get in somewhere and didn't need to fill out all your secondaries?

I listed a brief summary on my mdapps profile so you can see that. toytles and i are starting dmu together this fall. as BFFs. I wouldn't say i was a baller candidate, and probably shouldn't have stopped, I was just running out of money.

I start my first year in August, lol. Still technically a premed.

Aren't you what people on SDN call a "MS0"? :)

I listed a brief summary on my mdapps profile so you can see that. toytles and i are starting dmu together this fall. as BFFs. I wouldn't say i was a baller candidate, and probably shouldn't have stopped, I was just running out of money.

Eh I'd say your app is significantly better looking than mine (all of my info is in the "what are my chances" forum). Congratulations on your first choice.

Is DMU pretty close to where you already live in Des Moines?

You do know you are talking about spending $5K before you even set foot on a campus? You do know that each interview trip will cost you at least $100 (gas, food & room), but will probably cost you $250 and can cost your up to $700 (have you seen the price of flights to Erie). I'm not saying you shouldn't apply broadly, but you have a 33 so I would probably apply to your 10 faves and then Pikeville.

You do know you are talking about spending $5K before you even set foot on a campus? You do know that each interview trip will cost you at least $100 (gas, food & room), but will probably cost you $250 and can cost your up to $700 (have you seen the price of flights to Erie). I'm not saying you shouldn't apply broadly, but you have a 33 so I would probably apply to your 10 faves and then Pikeville.

$5k before setting foot on a campus? Am I really underestimating the cost of secondaries that much? :( Why Pikeville?

Aren't you what people on SDN call a "MS0"? :)

Eh I'd say your app is significantly better looking than mine (all of my info is in the "what are my chances" forum). Congratulations on your first choice.

Is DMU pretty close to where you already live in Des Moines?

Yeah DMU is a 15 minute in town drive from my home. So way good for me.

And based on your WAMC thread and anticipated MCAT. I don't think you are as weak as you think. In fact, with a 3.2 gpa, you probably could have gotten a couple acceptances with your 28. If you get a 30+ you are fine. And applying early is huge. All of this is the main reason that you don't have an app bad enough anymore to warrant spending a ton of money. You don't have to. And if you get a 34 like you AAMC average, you are golden.

damn i didn't realize a 33 was so incredible as to warrant such advice lol.

i hope i do well next week.

Each secondary is about $50-$100. Granted my first interview was DMU and my second was KCUMB which I drove down from des moines the day of (about 3 hour drive) and drove back from afterwords, and i withdrew everything after the DMU acceptance, but I probably spent <$1000 for everything.

$5k before setting foot on a campus? Am I really underestimating the cost of secondaries that much? :( Why Pikeville?

Forget Pikeville. Just disregard.

it isn't that it is that incredible, but the DO average is 26.5ish. And the GPA average is just under 3.5. So If one has a 3.2 coupled with an upward trend, and a 33, they have the stats to get into DO schools. Maybe not ALL of the top ones, but definitely at least one of them and a handful of middle quality ones.

Yea seriously, neither did I. All throughout my MCAT prep I was thinking to myself "Your GPA sucks, you need a 35 to even have a shot." I guess that's the SDN effect. I also think it's primarily due to the low average for DO applicants.

Each secondary is about $50-$100. Granted my first interview was DMU and my second was KCUMB which I drove down from des moines the day of (about 3 hour drive) and drove back from afterwords, and i withdrew everything after the DMU acceptance, but I probably spent <$1000 for everything.

Forget Pikeville. Just disregard.

I live in St Louis, so hopefully I'll be able to drive places for interviews. Hopefully the weather subsides until after I've gone to all my interviews. I don't want to miss one because of weather delays.

lol

what is wrong with pikeville?

this is not a thread about pikeville. if you are curious about it, ask serenade. he is pretty versed on the negatives of pikeville. the point is that there is a lot of controversy with them and the secrecy that the OP doesn't need to consider going to any school with controversy.

this is not a thread about pikeville. if you are curious about it, ask serenade. he is pretty versed on the negatives of pikeville. the point is that there is a lot of controversy with them and the secrecy that the OP doesn't need to consider going to any school with controversy.

Any other schools I should avoid? Since I have lived in MO for 6 years now I'm considering applying to ATSU-Kirksville to hopefully get some kind of in-state benefit if necessary.

Any other schools I should avoid? Since I have lived in MO for 6 years now I'm considering applying to ATSU-Kirksville to hopefully get some kind of in-state benefit if necessary.

Don't forget KCUMB for MO.

Avoid Ohio, since you have to sign a waiver that you'll practice in Ohio 5 years after school. So weird.

Also avoid MSU... great school, but OOS tuition is like 80k.

Don't forget KCUMB for MO.

Avoid Ohio, since you have to sign a waiver that you'll practice in Ohio 5 years after school. So weird.

Also avoid MSU... great school, but OOS tuition is like 80k.

Yea, definitely going to apply at KCUMB too. I've heard about OU and MSU. I wonder how many OOS students actually go to MSU and take on that much debt. That's very nearly double the cost of a lot of schools :/

the list from post #6 is a good start because of regional bias. add WCU. also RVU is for profit. if you don't know anything about that, you may want to look into it. some people are fiercely against it, others are all for it. like politics, RVU is one you need to decide yourself.

the list from post #6 is a good start because of regional bias. add WCU. also RVU is for profit. if you don't know anything about that, you may want to look into it. some people are fiercely against it, others are all for it. like politics, RVU is one you need to decide yourself.

I don't know if I care if the school is for profit or not.. I was under the impression all schools were for profit?