Do schools really average MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazyindy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen multiple posts about some schools averaging all of the mcat scores you sat for, while some take only the highest score. First of all, is this even true? And if it is, how do you find out if they average or just take the highest?

Members don't see this ad.

alternatively you could call and ask.

Exactly. I'd even suggest that this shouldn't be "alternatively" it should be your first instinct.

I know that we always think to check a website first, but when it comes to specific med admissions questions, there's only one rule: CALL THE SCHOOL DIRECTLY.

You can get any amount of second-hand somewhat-true info from all over the place whereas a simple five minute phone call can get you the real, direct answer from someone in the admissions office.

I thought most look at your latest score. Otherwise if someone took the mcat once and got a 32 and retook and got a 29, the average isn't necessarily that bad (30.5). But the fact of the matter that they got a 29 the second time around is a bigger red flag. That's why I thought schools look at your latest score, but I could be wrong.

I thought most look at your latest score. Otherwise if someone took the mcat once and got a 32 and retook and got a 29, the average isn't necessarily that bad (30.5). But the fact of the matter that they got a 29 the second time around is a bigger red flag. That's why I thought schools look at your latest score, but I could be wrong.

I always recommend a one-and-done approach to the MCAT precisely b/c of the situation you're describing. The more MCAT scores you have, the more you're ceding power to the admissions committee. You're letting THEM decide what to do with your MCAT numbers. If you practice your butt off and have one good score, then YOU'RE the one putting the MCAT score out there and you know exactly what they'll think.

In a process that is fundamentally dis-empowering, multiple MCAT scores is yet one more way you're giving up some of the very little power you have in the process.