This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postponemastudentloan

Reaction score
So I just started studying for the MCAT on Monday and decided I wanted to take an AAMC FL practice test before studying just to see where I was at. I knew I wasn't going to score high because 1. I had an extremely difficult time with both my physics classes & need to basically start from scratch 2. Didn't get much out of my cell bio class (professor was absent most of the time & didnt really teach when they were in class) and 3. I haven't taken biochemistry yet (just started). Regardless, I tried my best and I told myself that I wouldnt care about the score because I haven't reviewed any of the information and I really needed a refresher/to learn some of the subjects.

Well fastforward to my score and I got a 481 :bag:. At first I was sad but again I expected it to be low. But now I can't stop thinking about it and dwelling on it. Do you have any advice/is this normal? I'm not looking for pity or making excuses, just explaining my situation/thought process. I've already learned a ton and I'm starting to remember things that I have previously learned in classes just from a few days of review. But I just keep thinking about how I've never seen anyone get a score that low on any forums and I'm feeling really stupid and discouraged.

Hope you guys are staying safe & thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't stress about it too much, especially since you haven't taken biochem, that's big part of the MCAT. (Would highly recommend biochem before the MCAT, but not absolutely necessary). Use the diagnostic as a guide to see where you're really struggling. I started with a >495 score, focused on content review, my weaknesses, practice problems, and managed a 510+ at the end of studying. Also use this to determine when you're going to take the MCAT. Rule of thumb, 6 hrs of work equates to a 1 pt increase. So based on your schedule, determine how many hours you need to put in and how many hours you can put in to get your desired score. You've totally got this!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't stress about it too much, especially since you haven't taken biochem, that's big part of the MCAT. (Would highly recommend biochem before the MCAT, but not absolutely necessary). Use the diagnostic as a guide to see where you're really struggling. I started with a >495 score, focused on content review, my weaknesses, practice problems, and managed a 510+ at the end of studying. Also use this to determine when you're going to take the MCAT. Rule of thumb, 6 hrs of work equates to a 1 pt increase. So based on your schedule, determine how many hours you need to put in and how many hours you can put in to get your desired score. You've totally got this!

thank you so much for the advice! I plan on taking the mcat in January & will finish my biochem course in December. I didn't know about the point/hours rule. I'm definitely going to use that to make sure I'm staying on track.

Eh its your first MCAT so you probably aren't used to answering that style of quesetions. Before you burn another AAMC FL (those are precious, you only have 3 left) you need to do the Bio, CARS, and Chem Qpacks FIRST as these will help ease you into the passage-driven question style that go a bit easier on the logic. Once you hit about 80% on the Qpacks (aside from CARS Qpack 1, the front half is a debacle) you need to move on to the Section Bank. The AAMC Section Bank is by far and away the best resource to improve your score out there. But be warned, it is very Biochem centric on B/B and C/P. You'll need a very strong Biochem foundatino to do well on that. But the SB helps you approach and solve difficult passages like no other resource can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t waste another FL. Look at the strategies that have made for successful scores and implement them. Wasting a FL is already an avoidable mistake. If you are trying to take this Sept I would stop now and restart when you have far more time and biochem done

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
So I just started studying for the MCAT on Monday and decided I wanted to take an AAMC FL practice test before studying just to see where I was at. I knew I wasn't going to score high because 1. I had an extremely difficult time with both my physics classes & need to basically start from scratch 2. Didn't get much out of my cell bio class (professor was absent most of the time & didnt really teach when they were in class) and 3. I haven't taken biochemistry yet (just started). Regardless, I tried my best and I told myself that I wouldnt care about the score because I haven't reviewed any of the information and I really needed a refresher/to learn some of the subjects.

Well fastforward to my score and I got a 481 :bag:. At first I was sad but again I expected it to be low. But now I can't stop thinking about it and dwelling on it. Do you have any advice/is this normal? I'm not looking for pity or making excuses, just explaining my situation/thought process. I've already learned a ton and I'm starting to remember things that I have previously learned in classes just from a few days of review. But I just keep thinking about how I've never seen anyone get a score that low on any forums and I'm feeling really stupid and discouraged.

Hope you guys are staying safe & thanks in advance!
That's actually pretty good for just starting to study and not taking biochem. Use the beginning of your MCAT study to really get the content down. Then about 2 months before your test date start taking practice tests and reviewing. Reviewing your tests really helps you learn what the test makers are looking for and will get your score to where you want it to be.

That's actually pretty good for just starting to study and not taking biochem. Use the beginning of your MCAT study to really get the content down. Then about 2 months before your test date start taking practice tests and reviewing. Reviewing your tests really helps you learn what the test makers are looking for and will get your score to where you want it to be.
thank you so much for the advice! :)